[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby julius » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:55 am

Been in Paris for two days so far for a study abroad program and it's a blast. Anyone know any good places to buy coffee beans though? I've checked most of the indoor markets in the area and everything is either pre-grinded or doesn't have a roast date. Is this something I gotta wait for the outdoor markets to find?
If anyone knows any good places I'd appreciate the suggestion! I only have my kalita with me so no espresso beans
I'd be open to check out any recommended spots really, I'm in the 11e arrondissement for ref!

julius

Postby sid3000 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Japan was a goddamn SHOW. Well it wasnt like, a circus; very peaceful through and through. I had a fun time, started from Tokyo, then Kyoto, Mt Koya, and ended at Osaka for a total of 10 days. Everyone is super nice and takes such pride in personal responsibility for taking care of each other and their country. No one is trying to take over the world and be the best and most cut throat whatever like the US. Only drawback of trying to see an entire country in 10 days is I had trouble staying in the moment, staying conscious of the privilege of being there after so many years of desire. Forced myself to just stop and soak it in every now and then.

album here http://imgur.com/a/j4Cx6

sid3000

Postby australia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:45 am

Just got back from a few days in Sydney - if anyone needs any recommendations in the future, I can help out (Melb/Syd). Sydney was lovely this time of year (overcast days, but still 21/22 degrees).

australia

Postby teck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:29 am

-- dude im about to fly out to melbourne in about a week. i'd love recommendations for chill things to do at night (i'll be with my sisters and mom mainly). we have day time things to do (great ocean road, etc) but am all ears regarding night things. i like low key vibes.

teck

Postby australia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:06 am

australia

Postby julius » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Still in Paris and it's messing me up how the sun stays up for such a large portion of the day. I feel like I'm going crazy and that I've entered into an odd spirit world where night never comes and language is a barrier

Also wondering if anybody has any suggestions for things to do during Bastille week. I have the week off and am deciding if I wanna stay or go: I'd like to see Belgium but I want to be sure that I'll still be speaking French everywhere so I'm moreso searching for places in France

julius

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:26 am

osaka
you like electronic music, art, and/or vintage clothes? check out loser store, the owner, my friend mayumi, can help you out with local recs too. i'd say most of the fashion stuff tends to be in horie (probably most of it on orange street), but if you have wider interests in art & design then there's more to see

the specialty foods of osaka are kushikatsu, takoyaki, and okonomiyaki. recc you try all three, diet barring whatever. osaka is known to be a food city

------
i'm also gonna be in japan early sept. planning on hitting fukuoka & tokyo mainly i think. if anyone is around or whatever lets meet up i'm down to hang

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby earthonator » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:48 pm

I want to live in san francisco solely for the luxury of wearing layers all year round

earthonator

Postby hamburgerlady » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:36 am

so as i posted in the care-meets thread, i'll be heading down to NYC for the first time ever this july.
thankfully some of my friends have given me recommendations/will meet up with me, and it's so overwhelming.
if anyone here has any personal recommendations, post over here or send me a message and i'd very much appreciate it!

hamburgerlady

Postby soko » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 am

Any recommendations for things to do in Milan beyond the standard tourist sites? If it helps I'll be there from tomorrow until the 17th.

soko

Postby midvh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:36 am

Does anybody know anything about Bucharest? Food, shopping, nightlife? Me and my friend is going there at the end of this month (after a few days in Berlin), but tbh we mostly just booked the tickets because they were so cheap.

I want to look at Ceausescus palace/parlament building, but other than that we don't really have any plans.

midvh

Postby YoungCanoeist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am

Anybody have recommendations for things to do in Fort Lauderdale, Florida?

e: lol I have a 24 hour layover for a flight

YoungCanoeist

Postby oucho » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 am

I am going to Berlin this weekend for about 4 days with some friends. What's good stuff to do there? All suggestions welcome :woop:

oucho

Postby wolflarsen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 am

wolflarsen

Postby WalrusParty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:56 pm

What's good copenhagen/malmo? headed up there for 6 months. good food, clubs or sightseeing?

all recommendations are as beautiful as the people there (smiling)

WalrusParty

Postby rublev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:42 pm

reykjavik?

a bit last minute but i've found cheap'ish flights for the start of next month. did a bit of googling and looks like you need to do a lot of planning? like booking other stuff or renting a car or going whale watching? i don't mind planning just need to know what i'd potentially be getting myself into (in a monetary sense as much as anything)

is there much to do in the actual city?

edit - ???

rublev
Political Editor

Postby haz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:30 pm

what's cool in amsterdam? going for a week starting this weekend for dekmantel.

other than vondelpark & coffee shops?

i wanna buy some cool tees

haz

Postby bataille » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Got back from Japan, revising what I said of Osaka. Still less to do than Tokyo and less historical than Kyoto but its fun for a day or two especially if Kyoto is thunderstorming or dead. Its only like 45 minutes away from Kyoto station, so I'd still just recommend staying in Kyoto and taking the train in.

Idk if you've made housing arrangements yet, but my friend and I used Airbnb the whole way and couldn't have been happier. Wound up being about $40/night each in both Kyoto and Tokyo.

If you want to treat yourself, the best meal we had was at Ginza Maru (http://www.maru-mayfont.jp/ginza/) in Tokyo. They didn't speak a lot of english but it didn't rly matter cos the prix fixe was the best meal I've ever had. Don't just take my word for it; the Japanese food critic for the Times recc'd it to us.

To shop in Kyoto you should really just zigzag through the Nishiki market and the streets around it from like 5-10PM. I can't remember any of the stores I went to (except Kapital, which was cool) but there were so many unnamed vintage and small brand boutiques that I just had to stop checking them all out. Food is definitely the highlight though; there's near infinite stores selling kababs of anything you can imagine, beer and junk food. There's also this great lil ex-pat bar we found called the Fishbowl run by this cat Jesse who's funnier than just about anyone i've ever met. Go there if you miss hearing ppl speak english. It's east of Nishiki with all the other bars/nightlight.
Go to the Kyomizudera temple and go down into the Buddha womb its surreal.

Also idk what arrangements you've made yet but you should spend at least a couple days in the countryside. We stayed a few days at a bathhouse in the mountains with meals included and long hiking trails and like 10 onsen and it was the most relaxed i've ever been.

Also climbing mt. fuji is awesome but intense. you should do it if you have time but wear boots and bring water because its for sure a mountain.

bataille

Postby Syeknom » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Syeknom

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:21 pm

huh, just found this thread. anyone have any recs for things to do in stockholm? (don't say 'visit the OL store' pls).

pirxthepilot

Postby rjbman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rublev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby stappard_ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:13 am

stappard_

Postby stappard_ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 am

true. doubt they even make bikes for margiela greatcoats

i firmly believe that anyone that chooses to post on care tags must on some level want to roam around northern european cities on twee citybikes though

stappard_

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:29 am

pirxthepilot

Postby ratchetkoala » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm going to be in Iceland > Denmark > Sweden > Netherlands > Belgium > England > New York > Portland for the better part of a month and I'm glad that there are already recommendations above. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know! London and Amsterdam/Rotterdam meetup plans are in the works.

Besides the fact that I get to meet and stay with many of you beautiful internet kids, I'm already daydreaming about the boat I'll be staying on in Copenhagen.

|
ratchetkoala

Postby 106-2 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 am

hey pals I'm off cruising cali for the rest of the month, starting tomorrow

two things that are currently absent from my plans are good coffee shops and art galleries, so two questions:

1. Best gallery in LA?
2. Best coffee shops in LA/San Diego/Santa Monica?

106-2

Postby fun_yunchables » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:51 pm

my recs

1. 356 mission is my favorite. but it's closed for summer. I think the original boutique spot, Ooga Booga, is still open, so probably stop by there. I recommend you check out the OG23 art show at Haphazard gallery opening Saturday, he's a pretty famous graf artist breaking into the gallery scene. Fun stuff, nice guy. Gnarburger is pretty cool too if you're into the Burger Records kinda scene. BLK/MRKT is another option.

Also forgot about: Virgil Normal. check it out, it's pretty cool. Tortoise General Store also has a lot of design home goods based from Japanese craftsmanship, much recommended

2. LA is probably one of the best cities in the world for coffee right now. Largely rec you stop by G&B Coffee, Woodcat Coffee Bar, Go Get them Tiger, Menotti's (venice), Bar 9 Collective. Probably include Blacktop Coffee just because it's also in a good location (next to Poketo! A great design store) For San Diego, I'd recommend stopping by Coffee & Tea Collective, Bean Bar, Copa Vida (also has locations in LA), James Coffee Co. Hit up deadkitty for LA recs too, he works in the scene (or worked?), so he probably has a better grasp of what's happenin in LA

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby can- » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:30 am

wheres the best CA burrito in sf

can-

Postby bottlebrush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 am

im moving to tokyo next week

where are nice spots to sit and read
where is a fun place to dance
where can i buy canned coffee in bulk