[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby raags » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Some great places to dance are Contact and Unit (clubs), both fairly intimate with great crowds and great bookings. Here are some upcoming nights at each I am gutted I can't go to:
https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?861394
http://www.contacttokyo.com/schedule/th ... -new-york/
https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?856099
https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?865517

I'm making the trip down to Japan pretty much primarily for Labyrinth festival which IMO is the best place to dance in the whole wide world. It's three days of blissful techno and ambient in the serene setting of Mount Naeba. It's probably my favourite place in the whole world. http://www.mindgames.jp/tickets-english/

Tokyo has a lot of great cafes to sit and read, my favs were Omotesando Koffee, Bear Pond Espresso, Blue Bottle Aoyama. All of Tokyo's parks are pretty idyllic places for that too.

I'll be there mid to late Sep with some free time towards the end of the month, let me know if you wanna hang out!

raags
Best Dressed

Postby fun_yunchables » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:16 pm

to sit and read:
adding onto cafes: Fuglen coffee has a nice warm atmosphere that lends a cozy library environment. it's gonna be pretty muggy around september, but if you're okay with the humidity and heat, yoyogi is one of my favorite spots to just exist. I always say this maybe like a broken record but Daikanyama T-SITE is a great, great, great spot and very good for reading! The selection of books here is great, I think I finished reading the Kenya Hara Designing Design and Dieter Rams As Little Design as Possible books here last time in Tokyo. And finally, one of my favorite coffee shops, LIGHT UP in koenji has a nice space to just zone out in, possibly to a book.

to dance:
idk what you like dancing to, but a lot of tokyo's streetwear "cool kid" crowd will mob Harlem and Solfa, which is more like hip hop/lowkey electronic/beat (think acts like spazzkid, qrion, soulection esque) kinda clubs. If you're more into gazing at your shoes and nodding around, Koenji HIGH is a venue that books a lot of big japan postrock/shoegaze/noise/etc kind of acts.

you're own your own for canned coffee.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby trichomatic » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:42 am

Officially booked flights and accomodation for Tokyo, seems I might be missing some of y'all by a bit but I'm there oct 21 to nov 10.

Down to hang with anyone who might be there at the time.

trichomatic

Postby nope » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 am

I went to Labyrinth last year and it was amazing, though Scuba was a bit boring and I found PVH's set so relentlessly, overpoweringly anthemic I had to go and sit down for about 5 hours. Definitely a) the best soundsystem and b) most beautiful place to dance I have ever been. Hope you have a good one raags, am quite jealous. Only other club I attended while was there was Air which was great but I think it's closed now.

Sitting recs:
Lion Cafe is the bomb. Huge, incredible hi-fi, cool dude playing classical music records, nobody talking. Super relaxing.
JBS is also great, equally cool dude playing his enormous collection of Jazz / Funk / Soul records and you can have a beer and actually chat to people.
Not even super into coffee personally but had some in a place called Sarugaku and it was amazing. Didn't try reading a book in there though.

Those are all round Shibuya, I didn't really hang out many other areas in Tokyo.

nope

Postby yourdad » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:42 am

Heading over to Osaka and Seoul in a few weeks. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do and where to go? I'll be in Osaka for a week and Seoul for 4 days with 3 days on Jeju Island.

I've already planned to go to Nara and possibly Kyoto. Those may or may not end up being full day trips. I'm definitely gonna spend at least a day around Dotonbori, Namba, and Umeda since they seem fairly close to each other.

I don't really have any plans for Seoul or Jeju right now. My gf really wants to go buy a bunch of skincare stuff that we can't get here. I just want to eat a bunch of street food

yourdad

Postby raags » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Any recs for Seoul, Korea? Places to eat, bars, labels or clothing stores... I have one day free to do stuff. I was going to go to a record store in Euljiro then walk around in Hongdae or Myeondong, but any specific tips would be cool!

raags
Best Dressed

Postby Ques » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 pm

gonna be in bostom from 8am to 5pm with no plans for ONE DAY and looking for reccs. so far ive been told to go to the italian food area for a canoli and to check out the Mt. Auburn Cemetery, but that's it

Ques

Postby bels » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:28 pm

where's a good place to stay in Glasgow? I want to be able to readily commute to art/coffee/springburn/restaurants that list all the ingredients in all their meals

bels
Yung Winona

Postby wolflarsen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Going to be in Amsterdam for a couple days next week while en route to Tanzania. Where should I look at nice things and drink cheaply with strangers?

wolflarsen

Postby oucho » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:24 pm

I went to Amsterdam like two weeks ago and did some of the stuff people recommended here. Van Gogh museum is you know, full of Van Gogh paintings, they also had an exhibition on Daubigny and Gauguin but I don't think they even had Van Gogh's painting of Daubigny's garden, how pathetic. Anyway obviously worth going just go early in the morning because it gets BUSY. I also went to the Stedelijk where there is a nice exhibition on Tinguely right now, and some stuff from Mohamed Bourouissa which seemed interesting.

I didn't go to the Rijksmuseum but I walked through the four mini historical gardens squeezed round the outside, not especially interesting. I went to De Bruijne gallery which had a very funny video and some other stuff but SPRMRKT was closed even though it as during opening hours? I went to EYE which had some really good video art stuff on.

I got some cheap-ish nice beer at Brouwerij 't IJ, but I didn't talk to any strangers.

There are a lot of techno things going on in Amsterdam I think so if you're into that.

Also thanks to everyone who recommended stuff that I did, my trip was great :woop:

oucho

Postby meatjacket » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Probably gonna take a weekend trip in Jan to LA/Koreatown, anyone wanna let me crash on their couch?

No real plan yet so open to ideas on what to do!

meatjacket

Postby JewTurk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Got my passport back with my visa to visit Bolivia this summer. I'll be in South America for all of July and August.

Backpacking to Macchu Picchu, not doing any guided trail, though, just backpacking to Aguas Calientes and paying to enter there. It should be about an 8 day trip there from where I'm starting. Bumming around Cusco for a week hopefully, before I head to Chile, then finally La Paz in Bolivia (little worried about the current drought, though).

Any crazy cool things that aren't already well-advertised/known?

JewTurk

Postby evilfriends » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Just booked my flight to Sydney!! Gonna be there starting from January 9th and I'm going to stay for a couple of weeks if everything goes as planned before traveling up the east coast.

Would love to hang out with any Sydney folk around here, as well as any recommendations for things to do in and around the city. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've never left Europe and I'm so hyped friends :woop:

evilfriends

Postby mellow » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:38 am

Has anyone been to any good flea markets/antique markets in London?

mellow

Postby Ques » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:37 pm

bopping down to SF for the weekend of 11/12 February and I'll be staying with some friends in the mission district, anyone have coffee, museum or fun little shop reccs?

Ques

Postby mooncorp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:06 am

clarion alley (murals) and needles + pens (zines/art gallery) in the mission

annnnd if you see any place selling "feve chocolate covered almonds" please try them, they are 11/10, especially the matcha sesame flavor. i usually go to gus's community market (10 min walk from main part of the mission) to get them.

haight street has a ton of cool things, mostly thrifts/vintage shops (i like "held over" the best), record shops (amoeba records is the big one), random hippie type stuff, and a taxidermy shop or something called "loved to death"

not a museum, but if you get the chance to, sfai's campus is open to the public and definitely worth exploring. they have lots of art books/mags in the library, student work hanging around, and amazing views from the rooftop and book loft (in the printmaking dept) which is probably my favorite tiny room ever.
and about a 5 min walk away is cafe de casa, the friendliest yummiest food place serving brazilian crepes and other brazilian things

but if you want a real museum experience then sfmoma definitely the place to go. yerba buena center for the arts is also across from it, a lot smaller but still neat.

mooncorp

Postby tomsfood » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

recommendations for stuff to do in arizona? will be there in march, in phoenix and sedona areas, especially interested in nature stuff (i understand theres lots of it). definitely will be going to the grand canyon!

thanks!

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby anth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 pm

posting here as well incase anyone else in interested in visiting Arizona! Here are some of the lesser known things/ stuff to do around the general Phoenix area.

so there's quite a bit of stuff to do in Arizona, although you do actually need a car to get to 95% of the stuff so hopefully if you're visiting you have transportation figured out! anyways...

theres the Desert Botanical Garden which is absolutely amazing during the spring, has a lot of beautiful flowers and during that time of year butterflies, bees, rabbits, and a ton of other wildlife.

~
then, right next to the Botanical Gardens there's the Phoenix Zoo. Although I'm pretty anti-zoo most of the time, I'm actually pretty ok with this one. They have huge exhibits and make it a priority to ensure the well being of their animals. They have an incredible amount of species here and very very nice grounds. If you like zoos or just animals in general its pretty fun.

~
the Natural History Museum in Mesa, several stories full of mineral displays, fossils, dinosaur skeletons, replica jail cells, a place to pan for gold. Easy to spend hours here.

~
the Superstition Mountains, just east of Phoenix. Great place to walk around and go hiking, just further east from there is the beautiful Canyon Lake along with the little shanty town, Tortilla Flats I posted pictures of in the photography thread!

~
Montezuma Castle cool little place to hike, extremely well preserved historical monument. Must see if you love history.

~
..and finally Red Rock State Park, absolutely beautiful area up in Sedona. You could spend multiple days here and not see everything, just stunning. Such a great place to take pictures, go hiking, picnic, etc.

~

So I hope this helps anyone who's visiting get an idea for what they want to do! There's tons more so if you have any questions feel free just to message me.

anth

Postby wildcombination » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 am

Going to NYC in about a week for about a week. Who can recommend me good shopping spots besides the obvs Nepenthes/DSM circuit? Looking to get into vintage and consignment shops, but I don't know a good resource for that kind of thing. Also, very open to good food recs.

T.I.A., care-tags!

wildcombination

Postby sknss » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:14 am

Anyone's ever gone on a cycling trip? Thinking about exploring Scotland on my bike next Summer

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby wrong » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 am

anyone know of any good food spots in MAINE (portland to be specific)?

wrong

Postby alby » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm

,any other chicagoans - going to be down there in a month and am looking for dinner recs. looking for something around 30-50$ per person that isn't pizza. bonus points if in the wicker park/damen area? will also be in the loop/mich ave area, but more likely will get a light lunch there.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby rjbman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 pm

- Asian fusion tapas place

Other options:
Publican Anker
Trench
Frontier

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby soko » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 pm

So I may be moving to Vancouver for two or three months and I know two people there, is there anyone who lives in van up to hang sometime???

soko

Postby parastexis » Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm

going to budapest and krakow next week, hit me with any suggestions i can do while perpetually drunk/hungover

parastexis

Postby popcorn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm going to (all over) Denmark (and Sweden and perhaps elsewhere) next month;

what would you do if you were in Denmark?
what would you listen to if you were driving in Denmark with your mother?
she's not into music crit but, I mean, she just read the wind-up bird chronicle so there's hope for her yet

edit: it's my 4th time being there so i've seen much of copenhagen, been around odense and aarhus, many of the cultural landmarks like legoland, tivoli gardens, ARoS and norse store.

popcorn

Postby costanza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 am

I'm going to travel Europe starting this Tuesday the 15th. My plan is to visit Cologne, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Sofia, Ankara, Ljubljana, Kraków and I'll be traveling for a month. If anyone lives around these parts and want to meet up that would be really fun! I'm going to couchsurf as much as possible so if you have a couch I can borrow that's great. If you live somewhere else and want to meet I'm sure we can arrange something, I'm traveling with an interrail card so I feel pretty flexible and open to spontaneous changes of plans.

If you have any suggestions of buildings (preferably modernist) or restaurants, shops w/e please recommend me!

costanza

Postby Dobwin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Going to Seattle for the first time next week, any places or things I should see while I'm there? I want to do some kayaking in this sound.

Dobwin

Postby ptozzi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:29 am

ptozzi

PreviousNext

Return to Care