[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby Syeknom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 am

Pretty much all sorted, took a full day off on friday even though I don't leave till the early evening. Can't be arsed to wake up early and slog to work.

I'm way too excited about my little adventure, wish I was going for longer (had I known I'd have so many holiday days left over at the end of the year I could have). I've a hefty schedule!

Going to try and check this out on saturday if there's time: [url=http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/thames-festival-2013-1513-a-ships-opera]http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/thames-festival-2013-1513-a-ships-opera[/url.

If you've any good shops, eats (I don't care greatly but decent curry recs would be lovely) or clubs to suggest please do! Will be mostly in and around the centre: oxford street (and north of it), soho, west end, shoreditch for an afternoon probably, etc. Don't think I'll have time to make it out to camden or notting hill, and brick lane looks a bit far.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:46 am

Wait, what days are you are over? you said 9/10/11 but that can't be right...

Shops-wise, the must-see places are DSM, Hostem and LN-CC. i'd recommend walking over to Rick Owens too if only to see his waxwork, though of course we all know how you feel about Rick Owens. I'm sure you're pretty set for shops though. As far as eating out goes, i can't recommend much, especially if you're not going camden or brick lane... in central you're never more than 5 minutes away from a gourmet burger place, and there's plenty of good (and bad) chinese to be had in chinatown, can't remember any names however. similarly with clubs i mostly go to seedy student places i wouldn't wish upon anybody

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 am

Uh, 13/14/15 - this weekend. Guess I got it wrong before, my organisational skills are distinctly below average!

I wanted to go to LN-CC but isn't it appointment only? That's a concept I find terrifying as I'm certainly not buying anything from them and would feel like I'm wasting everyone's time if I make an appointment just to stroke clothing.

DSM and Hostem are on my list, I've got to go out to Shoreditch for SEH Kelly anyway and there's some good stuff out there.

Richard has a waxwork? Should be in Tussauds, the nutter.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 am

oh right, well in that case there is a non-zero chance i may be back in that london by then

whilst it is appointment only i wouldn't feel pressured into / guilty for not buying anything, and the experience is worth it, such an amazing space

yah overlooking the cash register iirc

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 am

Will I turn into a macho plonker if I walk into Rick Owens? Will I start pretending that I play sports and do I have to suddenly think Kanye West isn't just a big generic pop artist but an actual genius? Will I start laughing a hollow laugh on message boards and mock people who just don't get Mr. Owens? Do I need to drop the words "geobaskets" or "dunks" into every conversation? Will I start using the word "drape" when chatting with my grandmother? She might think I'm talking about curtains and I'd be forced to post derisively on the internet about that misunderstanding. So many worries.

I'll give you my phone number and if you end up Londoning at the weekend you can submit a text based message using short message service address to that number.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 am

all this and more!

right on

germinal
Garminlad

Postby sknss » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Have you been to LN-CC germinal? How was it?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:24 pm

i have! it's fucking awesome. The highest concept shopping; it feels like you're walking thru the corridors of a spaceship or something, and the clothes are high-tech clothes for aliens from a escape pod found drifting thru space, but then in the next room you're in an abandoned warehouse and the clothes are ancient occult artefacts dug up in a forest. The staff are really friendly and knowledgeable and didn't seem to care i didn't buy anything. However i went with my friend who couldn't believe clothes could cost that much, so i didn't stay as long as i would have liked. you aren't allowed to take pictures either which is ridiculous (not that i brought a camera)

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Are you in town this weekend Syek? Cuz I just read on the SEH Kelly twitter that their workshop is closed this wknd

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Fuck, was just going to email them about that. That'll really arse up my trip. Fuck fuck.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Syek x Germ breaking and entering fall 2k13 tour.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Bringing Cornish noise to London town lock up your made-in-england jackets

Syeknom

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Got a reply, definitely closed. Shit.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 pm

:( book yourself in at gieves and hawkes to cheer yourself up

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Cheers germ, bit out of my budg for this trip though. :(

Perhaps I'll stop in london for a day or two on the way home for christmas. Girlfriend's not coming anyway so nobody to plan around.

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 am

smiles, newgale:

any hong kong stores or restaurants i should check out?

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby smiles » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 am

wherebouts?

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby starfox64 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 am

Dunno exactly. My fellow teen lives in Jordan? Kowloon at least, but I'll have at least one day, maybe two to just explore while while he is working.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby smiles » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 am

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby starfox64 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:00 pm

starfox64

Postby can- » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:05 pm

lifestyle ramen

can-

Postby Syeknom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:41 am

Hoping to do a tropical/snorkelling/swimming holiday this February and are frantically deciding between southern Thailand islands and jungle (avoiding the party tourists), Sri Lanka (looks stunning but things are pretty fully booked already) or the Carribean (St Lucia/Grenada/Martinique/Trinidad & Tobago). Currently looking like Thailand due to ease of flights and prices right now. There are some beautiful looking islands and waters up there, has anyone ever been?

Syeknom

Postby bels » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:46 am

Get to fuck with all these holidays what's wrong with Antwerp in February anyway.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:46 am

Rename thread to Syeknom's travels please.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:50 am

I thought others would travel as well and want to talk about it :(

Syeknom

Postby maj » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 am

hopefully going to berlin over winter, sknss recommended me bless, firmament is a must. any other spots for shopping/culture.

maj

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am

Probably mentioned it before but I'm doing 4 months in SE asia starting in January. Japan, Korea, China, maybe HK, Thailand, and Bali. Gonna book flights when I get home, start really planning it. Part of the reason I bought that nsw jacket and modded it was that I wanted something super light and small when packed to take.

Maj acr is based out of Berlin iirc so I'm sure they have something to visit.

ramseames

Postby bels » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 am

Maj is going to attempt to rob ACR. Prepping his stun baton, night vision goggles etc for a brawl w/ Firmament street samurai

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:34 am

been playing deus ex in preparation

maj

Postby sknss » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:21 am

SHOPS

-make sure to visit , this is the street with all the small designers/second hand shops.
-Cash
Rosa Luxembourg Strasse 11
second hand rick and cdg
-BLESS
Eberwalder Strasse 60
(email first)

FOOD

icecream
-hokey pokey
Stargarder Strasse 73 (in Prenzlauer Berg)
-Uhlala
Uhlandstrasse 168 (in Charlottenburg)

burgers
-the bird
Am Falkplatz 5
if you like huge steaks. you'll want to make a reservation first, it's always packed
-berlin burger international
Pannierstraße 5

kebabs
-hasir
Adalbertstr. 10(in Kreuzberg near Kottbuser Tor)
-mustafa
Mehringdamm 32
there's a huge queue but it's worth it

tapas
-bar raval
Lübbener Straße 1 (in Kreuzberg near Görlitzer Park)
delicious tapas. you might see the actor daniel brühl who owns the place

KULTUR

-Hamburger Banhof (contemporary art)
-the ethnological Museum in Dahlem
-Pergamonmuseum (archaeology)
-Bauhaus Dessau (45min from Berlin)
also the Zoo is fucking awesome

Serious things:
-Gedenkstätte Berlin-Hohenschönhausen
what used to be the STASI prison (as seen in the film The life of others). chilling place, really worth checking out.
-

To get in2 da club:
-check to see what's up
-dress like a homeless person (really, don't dress up)
-don't speak in the queue if you can't speak german
-in case the bouncer won't let you in, tell him you love the DJ
-no need to bring girls with you

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

PreviousNext

Return to Care