[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby posh_somme » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 pm

headed to rome with my partner at the end of september, what should we check out? restaurants, museums, shops, streets, parks, anything

posh_somme

Postby E.T. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 pm

I'll be in Austin visiting and I have some time to kill during the day, anyone have any rec's for coffee shops/stores/good walks?

E.T.

Postby Ques » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 am

Ques

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 pm

going to be in melbourne in december (12-15) for a conference, then sticking around for a little bit after (maybe until the 20th or so, then going to hong kong after probably!). (down to hang x-post to care meets)

several questions for australia people/people very familiar with australia. thanks in advance

1. melbourne recommendations for coffee, music, design, art, architecture stuff? and vegan joints please!!!
2. perth worth going for arts & culture? noticed that a lot of music comes out of perth -- big music city at all?
3. is one week too long for just melbourne? i've been to sydney and melbourne (and cairns) before, but i wasn't as into the same stuff at the time. dunno if its worth the trip out still.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby vgtbls » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am

I will be in LONDON 9/21-9/27. I will be staying in the NORTH part of the city, Finsbury Park area. I love recommendations, because left to my own devices I will become trapped in the FATBERG

vgtbls

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 am

Wish I was around to meet you! We are away getting hitched and we have a popup in the studio so we dont even have our gear out!

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby australia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:19 am

australia

Postby duane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 pm

in tribeca with the bf :woop:

duane

Postby g2x222 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:24 pm

i'll be in berlin next week, any recs would be appreciated!! (and if anyone lives there and wants to hang, that'd be fun too!)

g2x222

Postby oucho » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 am

A bunch of people have posted stuff to do in Berlin in the thread, I went recently and here's what I did:
-in terms of fashion I didn't really do anything good apart from stumble across a store on Rosa-Luxemburg-Stabe, I can't remember the name and it had only just opened and didn't have a website and wasn't on google maps, it was at approximately no20. It's a vintage store and they had a mix of designer and old workwear stuff and quite a lot of quite normal but slightly weird clothes, and it was really cheap! The owner told me he used to run a store in LA and did events with Craig Green before he was famous? Then he tried to show me some new Alexander Wang pieces they had got in but I said no thank you.

This weird shirt was €20

I liked this pocket piping

I also went to the Bless store which is a must-do although I had to spend 20 minutes trying to get it, then gave up and left for a coffee, then came back and finally got in. I also came across a vintage store that had some nice Dries and Yohji but was expensive and I can't remember where it was, overall I don't think going to clothes stores is that great a thing to do when on holiday.

I visited a lot of parks in Berlin, these are my recommendations:
-Tempelhof is probably the best one to visit, it has the largest meadow I have ever seen and you can't walk through it as they don't want people to disturb ground-nesting birds. It also has a really cool allotment village. It's an old airport and has a really neat story behind it, you can take a picnic there or whatever. Meadows are often mown in late august/september but they might not do it until late late winter, it won't be at its best either way but it's still worth visiting

The only way we can truly achieve no-cop is to have more meadows to distract us from clothes

-Prinzessinnengarten seemed like a very neat to place to hang out and have a beer but I wouldn't bother making a pilgrimage to it if it's far from you and it might be a bit cold to sit outside now

-Berlin botanical garden was great and will probably have amazing autumn colour right now, costs €4 to get in and has huge crazy glasshouses, gardened in a very nice way for a botanical garden, won't be at its best this time of year

-Schoneburger Sudgelande very cool park that has a neat story behind it like Tempelhof, costs €2 to get in and is worth a walk through, should be nice at this time of year

-Tiergarten is not that great but might look amazing now with autumn leaves, there is a neat cafe there called Cafe am neuen see but it was quite expensive

-You've missed IGA 2017, here's a picture of me in the Tom Stuart-Smith garden anyway.

Museum Island is cool if you like museums a lot, I couldn't get 3G to look up which museums to visit and ended up looking at a lot of collections of Roman coins but you can probably do more interesting stuff. The DDR museum is fun.

There are lots of small galleries everywhere, you can walk around Mitte and easily find a bunch, KW Institute was my favourite one I went to

Good restaurants I went to: Pomodorino , gorgonzola club (there is also a neat bar right next to this), also went to the black lodge which was neat

You should also definitely go out at least once in Berlin, I don't know where to recommend because every person I know who lives in Berlin tells me different things, I went to Kater Blau and had a really good night.

Last edited by oucho on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oucho

Postby talkin2snakes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:07 am

murkudis is one of my favourite stores in the world , celine/yohji/dries/issey/aspesi etc. it's a beautiful space and they have all types of things/prices, stationery, skincare etc. andreas is a lovely bloke (brother of kostas fyi).
https://andreasmurkudis.com/en/
the courtyard has a number of galleries also worth visiting but art is less interesting than buying stuff tbh.

talkin2snakes

Postby lyysander » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Finally took a couple vacation days and went to Belgrade for the weekend. It's a really awesome city! There's a cool mixture of neo-Byzantine and Brutalist architechture, as well as some contemporary urban spots and a very quaint Bohemian quarter. Great food and good beer, too. From an American perspective, everything was fairly cheap. Hostels for about $9, half liters of beer at kafanas for $1.50, giant plates of delicious sausage for $4. If you're ever there, I recommend eating čevapi, ajvar, and burek. Drink Jelen, try different flavors of rakija, and make your way to Skadarlija. Oh and of course, do the free walking tour.

lyysander

Postby duane » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 pm

bf and I are going to visit Providence in mid-March :woop:
if you live/have been in the area, what are some of the best:
- restaurants
- shopping places
- must-see attractions/places/etc.?

thank you! :~)

duane

Postby parastexis » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm

bought a ticket to mexico city on a whim. anyone been? i have no idea what i’m doing ( in general also)

parastexis

Postby Ques » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:44 am

i just did the same thing but with seoul, and i leave tomorrow afternoon! anyone have any recommendations?

Ques

Postby trichomatic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Not sure what you looking for in particular or how long you staying but..

Very brief outline of some popular hoods:

Sinsa/Apgujeong/Cheongdam area of Gangnam for all the hi end shop
Myeongdong/Itaewon for just busy intl hotspot with lots to do, usually filled with tourists and expats, feels a bit more like Koreatown of other big intl cities
Hongdae where most of the young peeps and uni students hang out, late night bars, clubs etc
Insadong/Ikseondong/Bukchon for oldstyle buildings, art, small side streets etc

trichomatic

Postby Ques » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am

Ques

Postby trichomatic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 am

gwangjang is really good if you want to see a oldschool market and eat various street foods, see interesting small shops.
the palaces can be a bit touristy but still worth a visit, the associated museums are also pretty decent for various historical stuff though sometimes the english translations can be a bit lacking compared to the korean text descriptions.

As far as eateries, there's so many of varying qualities. In hongdae at least I like 감나무집 기사식당 (gamnamujib gisa sikdang), good pork ssam and fish dishes. place mainly frequented by taxi drivers but blown up a bit after being featured in one of the numerous food programs on national tv.

The smaller, trendier places don't show up on google maps or even the korean navigation apps if theyre new. Best app for foreigner and locals is probably kakao maps, should be an english ui available now.
Best way to find places is to search kr food blogs imo. You can put in the name of a specific dish or neighbourhood in hangul followed by 맛집 (literally taste house) and a bunch of places should pop up. If it's an old post though it may or not exist anymore.
As a side note hangul is one of the easiest written systems to pick up and you can probably sound out how anything is supposed to sound within a couple days of practice.

Seoul public transit is also one of the best in the world, well connected, hitech, and cheap, better than mta or tokyo imo. If you get the reloadable tmoney card it works on pretty much every rail line, city bus and taxi in the country, not just seoul metro, which is pretty convenient.

trichomatic

Postby 106-2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:40 am

Me + gf are heading to Berlin for a couple of days in Feb, looking for reccs on:
- Coffee
- Veggie Food
- Art
- Cool shit
that aren't too pricey, would be v appreciative of any tips :^)

106-2

Postby kickingthefly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm

^ oucho teen report above is good, for art galleries the area around auguststrasse- KW etc.
best thing will be philippe parreno at the martin gropius bau in march so you'll have to come back for that.

kickingthefly

Postby _Organism » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm

yo, gonna be in fake canada in march, wondering if anyone has recommendations for bars/plant-based restaurants/shopping and I suppose dispensaries? but I imagine those are all pretty similar. We're broke college students so if there's anything especially fun/cheap, lmk! :^)
(12th to the 16th if anyone wants to meet up!)

_Organism

Postby trichomatic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Veggie places not really my forte but hogtown vegan is really good, not particularly cheap though. Plenty of good bars depending if u want brews, cocktails, specific liquors etc or just cheap pitchers.

I just get bike/mail delivery nowadays, most places are going away for the govt monopolized potshops coming in the summer.
I should be free one or two of those days as far as i can tell.

trichomatic

Postby sick boy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:04 pm

seconding hogtown, doomie's and apiecalypse now are good too, and there are a few fresh on (street name) restaurants around. the only cheap place i know is closing before you're here unfortunately. there are a couple of dispensaries around, they're alright but can be kinda inconsistent in general and sometimes expensive ($17/gram for the only indica the fuck). i'm down to meet up too.

sick boy

Postby HexKeySet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 am

HexKeySet

Postby duane » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 pm

went to providence, loved the yummies, hated the cold

with !

duane

Postby vehk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:45 am

what's there to do in london over the next week or so (i'm here too early it's raining non stop this week)

vehk

Postby parastexis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm

in paris this weekend, any cool exhibits going on? good sales? spots for a haircut?

parastexis

Postby mknro » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 am

Any good tips for Antwerp? Both culture and shops?

mknro

Postby bels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 am

Isn't jon jon van assche in antwerpen? Good shop to visit.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby archangel666 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 pm

any1 in San Miguel de allende, MX? or anyone have any store recs? plz

archangel666

PreviousNext

Return to Care