[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Zine

Zine

Off topic

Zine

Postby teck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 am

Anyone interested in making a CT zine? I've always wanted to make a zine and I think there's so many awesome people and stories here-- I think CT would be the perfect breeding ground for zine.

Some thoughts I've batted around:

-creating a thread around a particular theme, people post pictures/thoughts related to theme, print out the pictures or the thread itself and put it in zine.
-CTers interview each other. put in zine.
-Original photography. put in zine.
-Original short stories/essays. put in zine.
-Print out entire threads, say of WAYWT for a particular week. Put in zine.

Anyone interested? Once created, the zine can be printed up and sent around to contributors. Again i've never done one before so I look to others for help.

teck

Re: Zine

Postby smiles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 am

I'm in. We can use issuu to publish.
Waywt is a good idea. As are photo essays. We all live in such different places and it would be nice to get a feel for places I've never seen or been to.
-editorials/shoots.
-maybe reviews/contentment. People submit some item of clothing/whatever they are content with with a short write up and pictures.

-I much prefer zines with themes. And with some spunk. First issue idea 'this is the end' stories and pictures of endings good or bad.

-zines are meant to be romantic IMO. They have to create a feeling. They need soft edges and washed out images (or at least pastel colours).

-keep it short to start. Set an arbitrary limit on pages. 15.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby teck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:12 pm

lovin it. by 15 pages you mean total right? also agree on the romantic feel? or at least poorly photocopied.

lets throw around theme ideas. then once that happens we can begin sourcing content/creating assignments.

teck

Postby chilljin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:13 pm

up for anything related to this, as an english student i have infinite free time so ill help out anyway i can

chilljin

Postby CMYK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I know I'm new here, but this sounds awesome. I'm definitely down to contribute some writing.

CMYK

Postby alby » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 pm

this is super cool and would love to contribute some photos. photo essays sounds really cool.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby iamacyborg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm down for whatever, even just putting the thing together. I've got 1337 email coding skills if we want to go down that route.

iamacyborg

Postby bels » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:05 pm

WICTW could be fertile ground

bels
Yung Winona

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah I'd be down to write small bits and pieces. Come up with interview formats, etc. Contentment articles. Yep yep.

IsaiahSchafer

Postby Stingray Sam » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm

would love to be involved in this

Stingray Sam

Postby parastexis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I can do some illustrations if they're wanted

parastexis

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:16 pm

count me in for writing. will throw a few ideas around in a bit

EDIT:

CT INTERVIEWS: who is interviewing/who is interviewed? tailored questions or singular format?
get a list of interviews, either a few that are large or a bunch that are small. embrace select few or celebrate community.

photo essays - living space. the 500 ft you live around, daily rituals, and how it influences your choice in what you wear

reviews/contentment - Offshoot of Desire is Suffering? Talk about financial situations and how they influence your choices. a few examples: (if he's interested) is a fantastic example of a young dude who does great stuff with a very limited budget, with things that aren't conventionally fashionable. (if he's interested) is a dude with a family and a career, how does that affect your clothing and other artistic endeavors, like music? this could tie into interviews, iono.

embrace the care-tags jizz of a positive atmosphere, artisanal design(lame phrase but couldn't think of a better way to say it), and a dissuasion from rampant consumerism.

cover page? of what? i agree with smiles that the zine as a whole should be romantic, and the cover is the showcase of our theme. could be a good instance to draw on original photography/art.

incorporating the more irreverent elements of internet fashion could be a nice touch if done fleetingly. pictures of rick owens/designers saying thank you. this isnt necessary in the interest of space

colors/motifs? what are we talking about design-wise? i am partial to the light blue/white of c-t which can be incorporated in some aspect, but it's a possibility to come up with a whole other theme. graphic designers, i know you're here. step up.

THEME: this is the end. of what? imply a new direction in fashion/design/internet fashion/online communities? the care-tags direction.

i like the endings good/bad idea, smiles. original photography/art could work great here, or short stories/vignettes. maybe dwell on brand philosophies/aesthetics that tie into this theme? endings in a physical sense as well as figurative? lot of different avenues to explore there.

15 pages is a good amount, imo.

one of my favorite parts of c/t is how many perspectives/different styles can be drawn from. something to capitalize on, and not necessarily just from WAYWT.

definitely looks like there's alot of interest in involvement already. we should look into loosely organizing things when we have a stable tally of who is interested/what they're interested in doing.

hmwut

Postby can- » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:25 pm

top 5 mc poses of all times

pictures of people browsing care tags

lots of ms paint

I'm going to work on a photograph of miles in mc pose but he transforms into a chipmunk like an Animorphs cover

can-

Postby kyung » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Will we have that sort of budget to have a holographic cover

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby jrisk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Really cool idea. not sure if I feel up to snuff to contribute but I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

just a small heads-up. you'll want to shoot for an even number of pages if you plan on having a proper cover and back. doesn't matter if it's just going to be an electronic version, like on issuu. if you want to get it actually printed though, you'll want to shoot for either 12 or 16 pages because of the way booklets/magazines are designed/printed.

jrisk

Postby smiles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

The end is a good theme. But maybe something else?

Good and evil, black and white, positive rep and negative rep, beginnings and endings, Americana and artisanal. The fashion landscape (at least online) exists as a series of oppositions that divide opinions and communities. We propose a different way, a middle way. The space between. Between beginning and ending is the space of change, of flux. If we throw away oppositions we are free to appreciate everything and anything on the scale.

- learning to appreciate the middle, and uncertainty.
- 'the middle' in fashion. What does it mean to you?
- express that in some kind of editorial (I have an idea for that maybe)

Other things. We definitely have some talented artists here so hopefully for the cover/logo/something people can get some of their work presented.

Overall design has lots of possibilities. Given our generally low fi aesthetic it would seem appropriate to carry that through. Honestly depends how far we want to go. Fully 'new aesthetic' might be making fake web pages though that's a bit kitschy. Maybe take design cues from a forum layout. Picture info of the contributor/whatever on the top left text and picture on the right with some kind of border. Coloured pages in pastel could be nice. Fantastic man did that (I think) and it looked great.

I'd like to help with the overall design/theme stuff. Maybe some fashion editorials.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:13 am

Maybe some room for parody? Bringing from mfa support circle type things, the "MFA missed connections" type of story in a "Dear Penthouse" format. Or putting shopping experiences into a kind of overtly sexy narrative? Maybe advice columns too?

I don't know if you want the whole thing to be a super serious endeavor, but I think a bit of humour could be fun.

Edit: This makes more sense when you realize m-f-a- autocorrects to my mum... Are we not allowed to mention reddit here? :\

IsaiahSchafer

Postby rjbman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 am

Could include WICTW too? Just an idea.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby odradek » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 am

ulysses speaks, best zine

odradek

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Here is what I want.

Dog style. Street shots of handsome dogs dressed well.

A comic strip which is jarring but funny.

An agony aunt for sartorial situations. Parody welcome.

A guest edited section.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby smiles » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

i've discovered i'm not that great at graphic design. I know what I want on my head but I cant seem to utilise indesign to get there.

maybe a google docs is in order? people can edit it now
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Muw ... sp=sharing

Last edited by smiles on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby teck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I think we settle on a theme, and then from there, just like any other publication, contributors can submit ideas for what they'd want to contribute, based loosely on said theme.

i like the idea of "this is the end" because its the first edition, and im a contrarian.

if we're ok with that theme, then we'll create a doc that has contributor ideas. ideas will be picked to move forward (more because of space issues than "quality") and the contributor will have a certain amount of time to get it over for layout. we'll work to get everything in. i have zero design experience.

teck

Postby iffe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm

I may be interested in contributing photos.

iffe

Postby hharrissonn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:55 pm

just want to throw my hat in and say that i would be very down to contribute in any way i can.

ig: hharrissonn
tumblr: dyetransfer.tumblr.com
hharrissonn
Look Arena Champion

Postby jrisk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:58 pm

If you need someone to help with layout, I can try to. I'm pretty comfortable with InDesign and it sounds like you (namely smiles) have a very clear vision of what you want so that makes it easier.

jrisk

Postby hooplah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:37 pm

this is suuuuuuuuuuper awesome. i want to help!

hooplah

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Suggestion though this may be more of one of my art projects than the zine you're looking for.

Everyone sends me 2 A4 sheets of anything you want. Your fashion tastes, flintstone, an essay, a review or a collage. I bind them into a complete magazine for ct vol.1. No one will see the whole thing until it's scanned and put on issuu. Repeat quarterly.

**could be done digitally if you send PDFs

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Are we gonna do this virtual or send the sheets of paper all over the world??

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby birdman caw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Would be happy to contribute some words.

birdman caw

Postby teck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 pm

are we happy with the "this is the end" theme? or what

teck

Next

Return to Care