[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Serenity now! Serenity now!

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Off topic

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Postby aucontrairearto » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 am

Meditation thread!

I don't follow any formal technique, except maybe TM. (I'm self-taught and only use transcendental meditation as a guideline). Basically, I sit crosslegged on my comfortable chair, start breathing somewhat deeply, and start thinking the syllable "tah." I think short syllables are much easier to work with than whatever long mantras TM proponents suggest. After a while, I start to feel an almost out-of-body experience, and I can feel my chair rocking gently with every breath.

I know it's a cop out, but I don't think I have the self-control to sit on the hardwood floor and focus on my breathing or something.

Any mediators out there? I was a big skeptic, but I've seen the light.

aucontrairearto

Re: Serenity now! Serenity now!

Postby starfox64 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:22 am

I was really hoping this would be a seinfeld thread

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby thatbiglake » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 am

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Dharma Talks

Postby thatbiglake » Mon May 19, 2014 3:40 am

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby vgtbls » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am

I went to a guided meditation over the winter and it was fantastic. I had my doubts as I usually lack the focus to practice on my own, but I was really blown away. I walked out of there feeling very calm and profoundly high.

vgtbls

Postby thatbiglake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby bels » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Want to get into doing some daily meditation. I used the Headspace app/website for guided meditation stuff a while ago and quite liked it, but coming back to it now I have this feeling that paying a subscription for guided mediation is for suckers and yuppies and probably real mediation heads would think I was a poser.

Are there any real mediation heads who can confim/deny this and if it is the case what should I be doing instead? Can I just buy a book and self teach?

Feel like I'm totally out of my depth and not even asking the right questions but I don't know where to start and just hammering meditation into google seems too broad a move.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby missrowan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:35 pm

For anyone using iOS: really dig app for simple meditation/mindfulness purposes.

I'm also super down with yoga, even though it's basically culturally appropriated and yuppified at this point. Oddly enough, I also find swimming very meditative for the same reason. You are (usually) stuck looking at an unchanging black line for an hour or so, and you focus almost exclusively on controlling and maintaining an extremely rhythmic breathing pattern. My mind is generally almost totally clear while I swim (or yoga) because you just think about your breathing.

missrowan

Postby dzogchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:01 am

I was going to post abt meditation figuring I'd probably be the only meditator around -- good thing I searched first.

, I'm quite the beginner myself so I can only say what worked for me and what didn't. I started with a book called 'Mindfulness in Plain English'. Sometimes floaty, often pompous, I have yet to read better instructions to the act of meditation itself. You get to decide for yourself how much you buy into the Buddhist framework, but I do think it's interesting to know where all the stuff comes from. It's not too long of a read, although I'm not sure it's still free. It used to be. PM me and I'll see if I still have the PDF.

I also really liked the book of Dan Harris. He's a TV host I wasn't familiar with who lucked into meditating and Buddhism after having a panic attack live on air and coincidentally having to cover religious topics as a journalist. He's gone through the whole ordeal: all the bullshit books, the numerous charlatans. He's intelligent, funny, down to earth and probably covers pretty much answer question you might have about meditation. He concludes his book with his own book suggestions and some instructions.

Here's a short talk he did: http://bcove.me/ami1erc4

dzogchen

Postby dzogchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 am

As a sidenote, have to house / dog sit at my dad's for a little under a week. I don't go there often, he pretty much lives right in the woods and I'm looking forward to the silence and meditating a couple of hours every day. A sort of a mini-retreat, basically.

dzogchen

Postby jvstnh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 pm

I've been meditating twice a week ever since I read Phil Jackson's book, "Eleven Rings", last summer. I wanted to learn about the 90s chicago bulls, but instead ended up being more fascinated with meditation and zen. At the beginning of the book he describes how his zen buddhist values shaped his coaching style and shaped his teams. Since then, I read Suzuki's, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind", which he recommends in the book and usually follow the Suzuki form of zazen meditation. Lately though I have been trying out mindful meditation, but haven't really found the right audio for it yet.

p-i-z-z-a-p-r-t-y
jvstnh

Postby bels » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:00 am

What's the status meditaters? (say it so it rhymes)

I'm tryingto get back on it because I need to be in PEAK mental condition for the poslam finals.

How are people's routine's looking? Is the NEW YEAR the perfect time to implement a strict meditation x mindfulness collab to help counteract the constant distractions of AMBIENT ACTIVITY?

I'm still on headspace but have heard good things about buddhify (though that name?? what??? islamify???? christianify???????)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:24 am

I've just installed Headspace - think it's going to be a great entry point to me starting any kind of routine with meditation/mindfulness. I reject new years resolutions as a thing but the holiday period has given me a space to start with it, and I'd very much like to practise and grow in it over the upcoming arbitrary period of time .

Not looking to "get" anything from it - approaching meditation as an I/O machine seems like a crap concept tied into greed and consumption. Just interested in learning about mindfulness and having a routine of calm, present-centred awareness.

Did a couple of group meditations with iliam,
smiles, bela and mellow when they were at my place and it was a super good jizz and experience.

Syeknom

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:07 pm

was hoping this thread would be about the joss whedon film. love it when that pale skinny girl comes out of her catatonic trance and beats up like 10000 evil mutants (doesn't deviate from formula much does he, but it works). anyway, carry on

pirxthepilot

Postby australia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:33 pm

I've been meaning to get into some sort of daily practice for a few years now, but can never fully apply myself. Maybe this thread can be the motivation I need.

Time and finding a quiet spot are my biggest problems.

australia

Postby sknss » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 am

I mistakenly downloaded the buddhify app so now I have to meditate every day or I'll lose my money's worth. It has been easy so far. The app is good. It gives you many meditation scripts depending on what you're doing at the moment (on a work break, eating, going to sleep, waking up, etc).
It would be nice to have a group meditation session with you guys. Maybe next sunday?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby sknss » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:46 am

On Sunday at 5pm I will listen to the body awareness meditation podcast from this page http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast. Feel free to join me!

sknss

Postby bels » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Post on reddit about some alternatives to headspace

https://www.reddit.com/r/Meditation/com ... pp/cup823k

friend of mine uses insight timer and rates it

Also for completing level 1 PRO I have a 1 month free voucher which I will give to someone if they want it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:56 pm

I am ready for my solo group meditation

sknss

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Great session well done everyone

sknss

Postby Francks » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:18 pm

That's cool, always wanted to start and always ended up finding something else to do. But if there are a few of you doing that regularly I'm quited interested.

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby sknss » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:24 am

Sure well maybe in a few years we'll be able to levitate with our joined powers

sknss

Postby sknss » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:59 am

Our next group meditation seesion will take place on Sunday at 5pm gmt
We will listen to this body scan http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/353.html

:woop:

sknss

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:03 pm

I completely forgot about it but I'm sure I'm the only one bothered about it too.

I will do it now I guess

sknss

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Thank you all
See you next Sunday

sknss

Postby sknss » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:17 am

Hello friends, sorry for the interruption. Next Sunday is Valentine's Day! For such an occasion I thought we could follow this meditation. Even better if you can do it with your bae! Meditation dates are in!

sknss

Postby CMYK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 pm

I've started the Headspace Take 10 and have fully enjoyed it so far. I'll take the free month in a few days if nobody has claimed it already.

CMYK

Postby bels » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:50 pm

No problem CMYK you can have it I'll add you as a buddy too so I can see how you're doing
My mind shoulder presses more than I do now apparently

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 am

I gave CMYK the code but I still have one if anyone is hard enough

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:03 pm

BWONG! It's time to open your heart for some unconditional love

sknss