[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Long articles that are worth reading

Long articles that are worth reading

Off topic

Re: Long articles that are worth reading

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:11 pm

mc-lunar

Postby starfox64 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:21 am

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby ramseames » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 am

When did the word introvert transform from "people who just like having lots of time to themselves" to "people who are shit at social interaction"

ramseames

Postby can- » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 am

if social interaction tires you out you're doing it wrong and mismanaging your feelings.

can-

Postby freddy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:39 am

what if you're introverted because you're fucking baked tho? 8)

but most importantly, what if you're introverted because you're permanently baked i.e. psychosis? 8)8)

idk I get pretty tired of social interaction after my hypo-manic periods runs its course...

sometimes i'm introverted and extroverted, it depends on how I feel, and how I feel about the social situation.

sometimes the social situation is out of your control, thus it's difficult to manage it, only to dissociate/retreat into your inner world.

i think people can be extroverted given the right opportunities despite their introversion

sometimes introversion is a conscious choice that I prefer because of the illusive and mystical fantasies within my psychosis

external day-to-day reality with engaging with other people isn't always that cracked up to be

we need recluse hermits to write novels, poetry, stories, philosophy, manifestos and draw shit and make fashion that fuck with our world too you know

freddy

Postby can- » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 pm

situations can be out of your control but you can decide how you respond to them

can-

Postby freddy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:34 am

from a philosophical perspective, in a perfectly just world everyone has absolute free will I guess. for me, I know sometimes for me the paradox of choice can lead me to into more introversion by over-analyzing the infinite possibilities forestalling my ability to ever reach a conclusive and definitive choice. Though that's the crux of modern man's issue in civilization of balancing our primitive urges vs external circumstances and pressures - "situations out of our control". however, it's also relative to individual perception and a simple change of insight can transcend the perspective that it's "out of control" and such actualizes into something that is actually tangibly in our reach. sometimes it's not necessarily always a clear-cut conscious choice, but obviously choices that are made the person is to be accountable. if one can achieve choosing how to respond to situations out of their control in the most harmonious manner they have a better self-experience of having such grasp of their life.

also despite being accountable for one's own actions, from a cognitive psychology/neuroscience perspective, some mentally ill or developmentally delayed people may not necessarily posses the self-reflective capacities to process reality in a productive manner along with their decision making abilities to make a conscious choice, whilst implying the one they make is rational. some people are born predisposed with innate aggression and may bias their decision-making ie. psychopathy that can lead to consequences such as criminality

i'm working on achieving harmony myself with the world at large alongside my condition for what it's worth - hindsight is 20/20 too, just because one has made a decision that is regrettable or cost-benefit-wise unproductive/inefficent and the seemingly unvaoidable emotionally devestation of such sequence doesn't mean later on in life that they rediscovered that it apparently isn't so anymore

freddy

Postby Iliam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Iliam

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby JtotheWhat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 pm

JtotheWhat

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 am

mc-lunar

Postby ballast » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:54 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/ ... -the-magus

i really liked this article on ricky jay, a famous magician and his obsession over magic

ballast

Postby Iliam » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 pm

today, instead of doing work, I read Joan Didion's , which made me think of David Foster Wallace's essay , and which I also procrastinatoraly (re)read.

They're both long articles that cover the campaign trail of presidential hopefuls. Joan follows the '88 presidential election and David tracks McCain's 2000 presidential campaign. Both stress their outsider status, neither are 'professional' political writers, and the way that this gives them special insight into the vulgarities of the campaign trail, which they are equally great at chronicling.

Reading both pieces is a great way to see how different writers approach similar material. 'Dividing' by the the common denominator (the campaign trail) allows you to see/ think about the writer's approach, selection and construction etc. of events into an organised, coherent piece of writing, and the pros/cons of each approach. Interestingly, this kind of writerly comparison is something that both Joan and David do to the other (political) writers around them. They show how the campaigns' constructed set-pieces of political play acting, designed for and aimed at the other political journalists and media professionals, are then filtered by this same group, so that when these events appear in the paper or on the news, they seems almost like reality.

Both pieces are superb, both are well worth reading, if not for the incredible incredible talent of these two writers (wow! really? [i know]), then for a look at the absurdities of political journalism and the general bizarreness of western democratic elections.

Iliam

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:18 pm

starfox64

Postby vgtbls » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 am

https://medium.com/culture-club/daquan- ... a9de9fba95

This speaks a lot better than I can in regards to my feelings on the popularity of Black Twitter. You, dear reader, are free to disagree (as always) but I'd rather not instigate a debate about it. Just read it, think about it. If you want to discuss, feel free to PM me but let's not subject a lovely board to a fruitless argument. Toodles

vgtbls

Postby starfox64 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:34 pm

starfox64

Postby Iliam » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:10 pm

- Iain Sinclair on the constant excavations of London and its obsession with digging

(♫ for british eyes only ♫)

Iliam

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 am

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby starfox64 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 pm

starfox64

Postby starfox64 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:33 pm

starfox64

Postby zayg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Super interesting back and forth interview between Rick Owens and photographer Lise Sarfati. Didn't expect to find this on ASX.

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2010/05/ ... rfati.html

zayg

Postby inherently » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 am

Courtesy of a recommendation made by

inherently

Postby momjeans » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:36 pm

momjeans

Postby teck » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:34 pm

i was mad skeptical of nordic-awkward-guy-experiences-america-while-chain-smoking-mumblecore shit but it won me over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/magaz ... .html?_r=0

teck

Postby hooplah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 pm

not super long, but: inside america's toughest federal prison

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/magaz ... .html?_r=0

hooplah

Postby _str » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 pm

article about the attorney defending the Boston Bomber

_str

Postby hooplah » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:03 pm

another interesting one: the secret life of passwords

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/magaz ... words.html

the writing is a little overly romantic but very interesting concept

i remember finding out my best friend's password was "puppylove" and making fun of her for it. she indignantly changed it and i said, "haha, what is it now, 'puppylove89'?" and her eyes got big as dinner plates and she yelled "HOW DID YOU DO THAT"

hooplah

Postby Cowboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Suppose this is the best place to put this, haven't really found another thread that this request truly responds well too, if it doesn't I apologize for my misplacement

I'm tasked to write a piece on the topic "Elitism/Classism in the fashion industry." The idea is to highlight the problems runway fashion (I want to focus on this instead of general department stores) have with the inflated standard fashion holds itself at. I understand the extent classism holds and the different definitions and sub-definitions it can be given, and using that fact I decided to focus on racial classism and subjugation. For elitism: weight-based elitism that holds back women larger than the standard of the industry. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone has specifically looked in on this, and what's some of the best stuff you've found? I don't want to come across as asking people to do my work for me, and I'm sorry if I do, but I am curious to see the golden articles and criticism that you've put into a little folder, or always had in the back of your mind.

Thank you to anyone who responds, and again, I apologize if this is misplaced or comes across as lazy from me, I just know that some of you have probably got some great stuff!

^.^

Cowboy

Postby alby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't know if would be useful to you. I have only read one chapter that was relevant to me, but it seems like some of those might be useful. I'm also not sure if you would find interesting/useful. I have read this, and this is more about the rise of fast fashion and the social/law implications it has on designers. It also discusses piracy and if it is necessary for fashion. It's a good read regardless. There was brief talk about class, if I remember correctly. Hope these help a little bit or give you more ideas!

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby anshin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:26 pm

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

PreviousNext

Return to Care