[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Bikes

Bikes

Off topic

Bikes

Postby nothobo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Biking thread. Anybody enjoy biking? Spandex not required.

Here's my strava

nothobo

Re: I like to wear spandex and put things between my legs

Postby bikesarecool » Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

yeah, mostly road stuff. hopefully upgrading to a CAAD10 or the like in a few months time.

bikesarecool

Postby edward » Fri May 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I know everything about film. I've seen over 240 of them.
edward

Postby nothobo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Canadian Svein Tuft in the pink leader jersey after the 1st stage of team time trials. Orica green edge had the advantage of going first before the rain. Canadian Ryder Hesjedal won the Giro last year, but has a very slim chance this year after Dan Martin slipped and broke his clavicle during stage 1 today.

nothobo

Postby stappard_ » Sat May 10, 2014 4:27 am

Got to feel for Dan Martin, falling on home soil and everything

stappard_

Postby bikesarecool » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

bikesarecool

Postby YoungCanoeist » Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 pm

YoungCanoeist

Postby YoungCanoeist » Sat May 10, 2014 10:15 pm

good thread. separate post because i thought the image alone was funny!

bought a used schwinn road bike on craigslist, with some advice from my roommate, but not really knowing what i was doing. kind of a rip, it's not in great shape, and i'm doing a lot of upgrades. bought new wheels (cog for fixie if i want, right now it's just a single), putting a rear brake on (the guy didn't have one!), putting a new post and seat on. right now i'm ordering parts.

i love this bike though. i've had it for about a month and i've had some amazing times riding it. since it's white and has no branding, i've gotten my friends to sign it and that's really goofy and nice in a sentimental way. can't wait til it's functional again.

YoungCanoeist

Postby silvaeri » Sun May 11, 2014 12:00 am

bike's are great, so happy it's nice out again!

have two bikes at the moment, my bad weather commuter/bar bike (stock kilo tt) and my nice weather/thursday night velodrome bike (all city big block). i really want a cyclocross or mountain bike next, been watching my local trading post for a good deal on either to come by. i figure i should add something with gears to my stable.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby nothobo » Sun May 11, 2014 3:27 am

Last summer I was in Utah and it was my biggest regret that I didn't bring along a mountain bike. The trails there were glorious, really want to go back one day. I'm not so much a mountain biker, but I do own a shitty mountain bike that is kinda fun when you want to do stupid things like try riding 20km in the snow to find a hot spring (didn't actually succeed).

Been riding my steel clunker bike that I found in an alleyway, weather is still on and off here, but this summer I'd eventually like to bike up one of the local mountains.

nothobo

Postby missrowan » Mon May 12, 2014 4:24 pm

yesss bikes. here is the (dirty) babe:

and the beater with a nice seater:
banana for scale

unfortunately haven't had much time to actually go on destination rides lately. been just riding the khs around running errands and going to class. sad, but hopefully i'll be able to get out at least once before the cannondale gets shipped to the east coast.

incidentally, does anyone know anything about shipping bikes and bike boxes and related? I'm moving to the east coast (from california) in a few months and it's a total logistical nightmare but I don't want to sell if I can help it.

missrowan

Postby silvaeri » Mon May 12, 2014 4:39 pm

not sure how much is costs to ship bikes, but i know if you go to your LBS and ask for a box they should have plenty for you. you might want to look into a more secure package if that's a concern of yours though.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby RycePooding » Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Shipping bikes is like 100-150 depending on who you use, I've done a bunch of research. Dudes at your LBS will absolutely help you out.

Bike specific thread is much more appropriate that the 'things with wheels' thread.

I love bicycles of all kinds.

Commute on a single speed purple hardrock from the 90's.

Long-fast rides on a Specialized Allez I got when I graduated highschool.

About to start some serious touring on this guy:

Specialized Tri-Cross Triple steel frame thing. Would've preferred a Surly Disc Trucker but this thing has crazy similar specs (better groupie, worse brakes) and was a steal off of craigslist at 750 including racks panniers and fenders.

RycePooding

Postby silvaeri » Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Jesus you got that tourer for $750?!? That's pretty fantastic! Looking forward to hearing about your touring this summer! Sounds like a blast!

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby nothobo » Mon May 12, 2014 7:39 pm

That is a steal for that touring rig. Where you planning on going?

nothobo

Postby donut_milk » Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 pm

I ride an older (not my bike pictured). I changed the grip tape a few weeks ago to a light blue, adjusted the seat, and am fixing the front brakes. Looking to upgrade soon but don't know to what.

donut_milk

Postby odradek » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

is mapmyride completely useless all of a sudden for anyone else?

odradek

Postby ramseames » Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 am

Anyone ride DH/ any kind of serious mtb?

I have a pair of red morewoods i got off pinkbike for $4k and $800 back in highschool, mostly ride the makulu though because I'm a hack at DJing and there's no real place to do 4X here.

Haven't gotten out yet this season and probably won't do too much till end of August once i can't ruin my summer earning potential. Last time i was at Whistler i overshot the step down off the platform on fade to black and got thrown and broke my wrist.

ramseames

Postby silvaeri » Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm

haven't done any downhill, but it looks really fun and i'd love to give it a try. just don't have the funds to buy a dh bike, and haven't found anyone i know with a dh bike to let me take it for a few runs. MPLS has a surprising amount of MTB trails that I'd love to give a whirl.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby eli7 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:55 pm

This is Tommy, my Fuji Palisade likely from the mid 80's. Haven't invested much money because I'd really like if she didn't get stolen since I ride into the city everyday. Though I'm thinking of building a fixie in the summer primarily for Brooklyn biking (I like my gears and breaks for Manhattan).

eli7

Postby nothobo » Tue May 13, 2014 4:48 pm

This is my bike that I've been riding, minus all the electronics since that was for a project. Gets me places during the year, saving up for a better road bike but not really sure yet

nothobo

Postby bikesarecool » Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 pm

all my friends are bugging me to upgrade to a better bike, but i'm just trying to save money at the moment. been through a LOT with this bike.
i'm not really into touring, but double centuries are fun.

bikesarecool

Postby bikesarecool » Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 am

Today I rode to Pasadena with a few friends to watch Stage 7 of the Amgen Tour of California. It was a pretty interesting day. Props and major respect to all of the domestiques working their hardest for their teams.

----

Also, I wanted to share with you all some of my favorite cycling-related video channels

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/91915829[/vimeo]
http://vimeo.com/cyclocosm
"How The Race Was Won" is a pretty cool series of pro tour road race commentary/breakdowns/explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nationsnumber1beast/videos
This is the youtube channel of "nationsnumber1beast," a domestic pro rider. He posts really exciting POV gopro highlight videos from his races.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/79388222[/vimeo]
http://vimeo.com/album/2200561
"Svenness" is similar to "How The Race Was Won" but with nice music, typed commentary, and covers international cyclocross races, rather than road races.

bikesarecool

Postby nothobo » Mon May 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Got a CAAD 10 frameset off ebay and gonna build it up, going to be fun

nothobo

Postby iffe » Tue May 20, 2014 2:36 am

Got my bike ready for the summer. It's a Mongoose Maurice. I've been slowly swapping the red parts to black, to make the bike less gaudy looking. Just small stuff: brake levers & cables, grips, seat, chain, pedals (well they're red). Next project could be painting the frame and cranks black.

I used to run it as a fixie with just a front brake, but my knees couldn't really take fixie braking and it just wasn't that fun to ride. Now I have a freewheel and both brakes. Most of the "control surfaces" (pedals, grips, brake levers) are BMX parts to give me a sense of familiarity. I used to ride for years.

iffe

Postby g2x222 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am

g2x222

Postby iffe » Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 am

If the frame was red, nothing. But I think the white frame and red everything looked a bit silly.

iffe

Postby silvaeri » Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 am

Crashed on the velodrome yesterday. Really wish I was riding with gloves because I fucked my knuckles up and they're going to take foreverrrrrr to heal now. Goddamn.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby bikesarecool » Sat May 24, 2014 2:46 pm

oops, i need a new helmet now. dented and cracked my black lazer o2. what should i upgrade to?

bikesarecool

Postby ramseames » Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 pm

S works prevail if you want to spend $$$

ramseames

Next

Return to Care