[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Bikes

Bikes

Off topic

Re: Bikes

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Here's my baby. She's a 1986 Raleigh Technium 440 made in the USA. If you don't know Technium's are aluminum with steel forks and rear triangle. I love this bike more than my car.
I went for my first post winter ride earlier and I'm feeling it. It was only a couple miles but not having ridden in a couple months sure left its mark.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.

Also consider checking out my music.

Follow me.
ASTROCHIMP

Postby ptozzi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:24 pm

nevermind

ptozzi

Postby ptozzi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:48 pm

I did more research after asking my previous question, which I learned for myself wasn't a very good question. I now come to you with a real question. (copy and pasted from elsewhere since I haven't gotten an answer there)

A few months ago, I acquired an old 1996 Ross Mt. Pocono from my dad. Tires and inner tubes were shot, so I bought new ones no problem. Next thing I'm looking to upgrade is the entire drive train. I found a 3-speed internally geared hub for less than $80 which I'm gonna get laced onto the rims I currently have. I still need to find a new crankset, since the current one is pretty rusty and riveted so I can't buy just a chain ring. BB shell is a 68mm English threaded. I'm not looking to spend more that $50. I've come across some Lasco cranksets on eBay for $50 with a BB. Are these justifiable for someone who'll be riding 20 miles a week max? I would prefer to buy something used, but in good condition if possible (I'm trying to avoid buying anything new this year).

ptozzi

Postby silvaeri » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:18 pm

- origin8 square taper cranks are like $50 iirc. Otherwise ebay has plenty of vintage square taper cranks for cheap usually. You can usually find some classic Dura-Ace level cranks for $50ish. Sugino Grand Mightys are a good option too, I grabbed my set for $40. Basically 68mm english threaded gives you tons of square taper options. You can also go external BB but that's more $$$ and the cranks are generally more expensive too.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby JewTurk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am

Getting a used single speed road bike off ebay good idea?

I saw a bike around town that was SGV and it looks like they do custom order bikes for $200, $28 shipping. Would they be a good alternative? Most the ones I saw on ebay were $200 anyways.

JewTurk

Postby JewTurk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 pm

I got a Specialized M4 tribike today for $300. Carbon fork, spynergy spox wheelset, ultrega drive train, aluminum frame. Very excited to start training with it.

I had been doing sprint triathlons this and last semester but just borrowing my friends bike for them so I figured why not. Going to train this summer to do a collegiate.

JewTurk

Postby eli7 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:10 am

Pace guy stalled out at Red Hook Crit on Saturday night, bonkers...

eli7

Postby simo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:48 pm

simo

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:17 am

Eh.

Got hit on my tribike by a car on Sunday. Went over the handlebars. No serious damage to the bike but the carbon fork has a scratch/nick that I'm really worried about but hesitant to replace. Besides that just some scratches on the paint and a new tube and everything was fine. I'm just happy I walked away without any serious injuries. I think I need to true the front wheel though.

Enjoying cycling a lot though, been doing 20 miles every other morning on various routes around Flagstaff.

Also picked up a shitty old fixie for $20 on craigslist. Hoping to build it up but the frame is too big for me so I'm not sure how much I want to invest in it right now. We have a huge bicycle auction coming up before school starts at my work so I'm hoping to get a good frame for cheap. There is like 400 bikes that we removed from campus waiting to get sold.

JewTurk

Postby ramseames » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:30 pm

ramseames

Postby eli7 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:59 am

No bike thread can be without the mention of bike soccer and bike ballet

check out that ratio:

choice soundtrack:

eli7

Postby silvaeri » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:06 am

Bike soccer and ballet are rad af. Spinny spinny spinny.

My back is finally not fucked :TM:, and i've started racing again. 2 weeks of track in, don't feel like my legs are there but that's to be expected after 4 months of not training. Basically just having fun and seeing if I can squeak a podium spot or two by the end of the season, not super bummed, most just excited to have some of a track season. I had given up on having on. I have about 5-6 weeks between track and cross so hoping to get a quick build session in between the two and then race a full season of cross complete with travel. Probs gonna hit up Odradek in DC and ryan in chi for sure.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby rublev » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm

yikes

but also...

go team GB!!!! ruling the velodrome :cool:

rublev
Political Editor

Postby ramseames » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:46 pm

One of the Canadian girls from the bronze medal team is an ex ski racer who started off at the same ski club as I did (on her way to making the national team), and according to my sister she only started riding track like 16 months ago.

ramseames

Postby rublev » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:55 pm

went down to the first stage finish of the tour of britain last weekend which was great fun... amazing crowds. guy on the mic kept saying there were 12,000 people there but i doubt it. either way amazing to see so many people out, def more each year.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby odradek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 pm

posting this around because it is funny

odradek

Postby eli7 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

After spending much of the summer digging around for free/cheap parts, I frankensteined together my first road bike! It's the second road bike I've worked on, although the other one I only assembled and didn't buy the parts myself. It rides like a dream and I can't wait to finally be able to coast on my commute. Anyone else finish any summer bike projects?

eli7

Postby sknss » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I went on a little bike tour around the Scottish islands last summer. I'd wanted to go there for a while but I didn't want to drive, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I thought I could just cycle there! I'd never even really camped before, so it was all new. But it was great fun and I met lots of super kind people. All this on my own leg power! Here are some of my favourite pictures from the trip

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby silvaeri » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 am

that road bike looks heckin fun! nice job! a+ jorts too!

this summer I raced a full season of track finally~! won a couple state championships, and got my cat 3 upgrade, and went to seattle to race.

built up this bad mama jama:

stood on the top step of the podium for the cat 3 state champs scratch race:

and won a surly steamroller frame in a race.

p good summer.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby vgtbls » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

I bought a fixed-gear and it feels like learning how to ride all over again! I went with the grey kilo tt pro, switching to bullhorn handlebars soon.

Coming from a 70s Ross road bike, this thing feels so much lighter! Looking forward to summer cruising (smiling)

vgtbls

Postby tweefwend » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 am

went on a 40mile ride last weekend with some coworkers (peep the 5" Patagonia baggies synergy)

I don't think I've ever even ridden 10 miles before this ride. It felt great tho. Got to use my new Meanswhile bag as well, great waist pack

tweefwend

Postby rjbman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Been biking up a nearby foothill during lunch - miserable the whole way up, but goddamn it is fun flying down at 40+ MPH. Already shaved 40s on the uphill climb, hoping to do more.

Also just bought a new bike! Used Trek Madone...

This weekend I'm planning on hitting a nearby mountain biking park!

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby silvaeri » Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm

grabbed my dream frame for a pretty penny a few weeks ago and got her all built up in race mode for this year.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby WussWayne » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 am

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby silvaeri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 pm

raced a madison last night. it was dope. we won.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby IAustin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:35 am

I had a BMX but it died because of the inattentive driver of the garbage truck... Hate this guy...

IAustin

Postby silvaeri » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

- yeah that's a synthe mips. i'd liked it well enough, was v comfortable, i think it looked a little dumb on me but that's whatever. I smashed it somehow so it's been replaced with an sworks evade that i picked up for super cheap now.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby rjbman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 am

mountains are fun! trying to work my way up to at least a metric century

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby GeorgeT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 am

I want to buy this beauty one day!!

GeorgeT

Postby Benson » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:18 am

I’m moving to somewhere within biking distance to my work on September first. I was planning on buying some cheap vintage road bike or whatever for a few hundred bucks off kijiji but my commute has a couple pretty brutal hills. My dad thinks I won’t want to bike unless I get some decent used bike for like 800 bucks but I kind of want to cheap out and I wouldn’t want something I’d be worried about getting stolen. What do you guys think? My commute would be about 18 minutes each way

Benson

PreviousNext

Return to Care