[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What are you reading today/book club

What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby bobo77 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Good book.

bobo77

Postby rjbman » Wed May 21, 2014 10:00 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby vgtbls » Wed May 21, 2014 11:25 pm

vgtbls

Postby exprof » Wed May 21, 2014 11:28 pm

The library!

I hate owning books, so much clutter/wasted money when the library has everything I could want :-]

exprof

Postby rjbman » Wed May 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Amazon when I do decide to buy. Still probably should avoid that for the future as I've got about 10-15 books not yet read.

Sometimes I'll buy for my Kindle but honestly prefer a physical book. hardcover >> paperback > kindle.

rjbman

Postby starfox64 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:57 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby ramseames » Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 am

long term life goal is to cover multiple walls of my theoretical house in floor to ceiling bookshelves.

ramseames

Postby exprof » Thu May 22, 2014 12:17 am

I mean I used to own a lot of books, then I moved and realized what a pain it was and how I'd never read most of them again... I do have a huge soft spot for art books though. Those I am constantly looking at/consulting.

exprof

Postby bels » Thu May 22, 2014 2:49 am

I love rereading books but also sort of hate owning them. I tend to buy most of mine second hand.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby zayg » Thu May 22, 2014 11:19 am

2/3rds of the way through the wind up bird chronicle and it is becoming chore-like to read now. not crazy about the direction it is taking anymore.

zayg

Postby missrowan » Thu May 22, 2014 5:39 pm

about to start vonnegut's slaughterhouse five. well...i read the first few sentences and it's making me excited. i just finished the secret garden because i wanted to know what the big hullaballoo was about.

missrowan

Postby stellar » Thu May 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Went through this thread and realized that you all read books that are way over my head.

I just finished A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay and it was beautiful as all his novels are. If you're into history-inspired almost-fantasy, I highly suggest Guy Gavriel Kay. My intro to him was Under Heaven, which is set in fanasty-historic-China, and it was fantastic, and I think my favourite so far was River of Stars, which is another book set in fantasy-historic-China, and also his most recent piece. A lot of people love Tigana and while I didn't really get into it, its main theme really gets you thinking and it's kind of hauntingly beautiful and melancholic.

also count me in the section of people who loves owning books - I mostly buy ebooks now because I don't have to leave my house and it's instant and also they don't take up space, but I would own everything physically if I could. I have gone and bought books I loved just because I wanted a copy on my bookshelf for the moment when I want to reread it.

stellar

Postby eufemism » Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Got like half of the Series of Unfortunate Events for like a dollar at a salvation army. for some reason i never finished it during school, so i'm looking forward to finishing it up. I remember enjoying them a lot when i was younger so hopefully they haven't lost their shine with age.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby AmericanPie » Thu May 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Finally finished up Gravity's Rainbow and have been digging into White Noise. I'm really enjoying it so far.

AmericanPie

Postby starfox64 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 am

if you guys like white noise, read underworld. it's 800 pages but a very readable 800 pages.

at the very least, read this:

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby zayg » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Excellent book. I feel like Mamiya's stories could be a novel in their own right.

But man, that was a draining book. I should not have expected anything else from Murakami, but reading 600+ pages to end not being sure of what really happened can drain you. I think I'm going to read something a bit less...surreal next. I need a break from him.

zayg

Postby hot coffee » Sat May 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Favorite book

hot coffee

Postby Mippipopolous » Sat May 31, 2014 8:49 pm

Over than halfway through Mrs. Dalloway now. Really enjoying diving into Woolf, have a book with her selected works that should occupy me. I really wanna dive into Nabokov next, probably will start with Lolita and Speak, Memory.

Mippipopolous

Postby brlmski » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 am

Just finishing up the last of the Malazan books published so far. This was a long journey with several breaks that started last winter (Read through the main MBotF series last year, started the ICE books this spring), but I'm glad I went through with it. Not sure what to go to next tho. A massive epic series sometimes just leaves you not wanting to read anything for a while.

brlmski

Postby klonopin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:09 am

@Mippipoplous you should check out Pale Fire.
outside of class I'm reading a lot of Bruno Latour and I just recently finished Sebald's Vertigo. Sebald probably my favorite writer, but Vertigo was the least impressive of his I'd read yet. it was still wonderful but I would recommend Rings of Saturn to any and everyone: the prose is so captivating that the radical lack of plot doesn't affect readability. I'm most of the way through Bolano's Savage Detectives and, although at first it seems like a banal Kerouac type of 'look at me i'm a wandering poet who smokes pot and has crazy ideas' its actually a really complicated web of disappointment and missed connections and the problem of memory and just trying to figure out what the fuck happened with your life and I really like and recommend.
Super excited for summer time; a couple friends and I are going to attempt Deleuze and Guatarri's A Thousand Plateaus which might be too much but good on us for trying right? Also v v excited to finally read some Flaubert.

klonopin

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 am

Any DFW fans? Anyone read Infinite Jest?

Just finished my second read through, kind of like the chemo therapy of books.

JewTurk

Postby stappard_ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:10 am

stappard_

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 am

JewTurk

Postby vgtbls » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 am

Yesterday I read The Fault in Our Stars cover to cover. It's not a book with a ton of literary sophistication, but it's really good. It made me realize how long it's been since I emotionally connected with a character. I kept waiting for John Green (the author) to slip into some cliche and break the realism, but he didn't. It's nice to see a book for young adults that doesn't condescend their maturity. The movie's out in a few days and I'll probably cry in the theater.

vgtbls

Postby oldtrailmix » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:48 pm

i made good on my idea to read the Great Gatsby at the beginning of summer every year. this time i listened to the audiobook read by Jake Gyllenhaal. it's crazy how well the book clicks with this time of year, and i'm going to have trouble waiting till next summer to read it again (fall maybe).

been trying to pound my way through a book on 14th century Europe but it's just a bit too much for me, after 200 pages i don't think i'm enjoying it enough and am gonna throw in the towel.

oldtrailmix

Postby rjbman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:49 pm

rjbman

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:01 am

read this then:

or, in abbreviated form:

starfox64

Postby smiles » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Just finished A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. Great quick read. He really is an excellent writer. Very lucid. More than most novels I could feel the emotions as if they were being written down right now. Contempt is his strong suit I think, operating as a kind of armour for the character.

The movie was great too, of course.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby CleanThug » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Reading Dune rn, really good. Pretty excited to go through all in the original series.

Definitely rivals GoT

CleanThug

Postby Ques » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:51 pm

just finished The Rosie Project. riveting read; finished it in one sitting. the protagonist is startlingly similar to my own father, helped me get some insight into how he thinks. highly recommended

starting The Count of Monte Christo

Ques

PreviousNext

Return to Care