[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What are you reading today/book club

What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby alby » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 pm

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby rjbman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby eyealt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:04 pm

I don't have my book with me but sitting at home I have Maus. I've read a good chunk of it, put it down and never got back to it. From time to time I really wish I had the book to pick up and read as the drawings, story and writing are so absolutely solemn and incredible at the same time.

Yeah, so I'm not reading that currently but I can't wait to get back to it. What a great book.

eyealt

Postby oucho » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 pm

I finally finished the bros karamazov a week or so ago, it got stolen from me in Milan and it took me a while to rebuy my translation, then I was at the trial section which really dragged on for me. Dostoevsky's writing style is very lengthy but I really enjoyed it throughout the rest of the book. The trial confused me, it's almost as though the book climaxes in the buildup to the trial and then the trial itself is like a comedown bringing the reader back to reality as the prosecution, defense, witnesses, judge and jury have this conversation about the characters that is completely devoid of any of the themes that they grappled with earlier. I can't think of any other explanation, can anyone enlighten me? Anyway it was definitely GOAT, my life is changed forever!

I also read The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono which I loved and We Should All be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which was a bit pointless really

oucho

Postby thephfactor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Listenin to the God Emperor of Dune audiobook.

Shai-Hulud gonna Shai

thephfactor

Postby wintyd0n0 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Just started Too Loud a Solitude by Hrabal, seems great so far. My choice was between that and Dream Story by Schnitzler, anyone read either of them?

wintyd0n0

Postby JewTurk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm not seeing the appeal of Ready Player One whatsoever unless you grew up in the 80s. Nostalgia is all it has going for it as far as I can see so far.

PS:

Seeing Rock Bottom Remainders tonight!!! Praying Kingsolver or Stephen King show up unexpectedly...

JewTurk

Postby momjeans » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:18 pm

momjeans

Postby CleanThug » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:57 pm

CleanThug

Postby odradek » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:37 pm

after seeing it referenced and refuted and buttressed and namedropped over and over again in articles, i'm cracking piketty's book

pray for me

odradek

Postby oucho » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:54 am

oucho

Postby schiaparelli » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 pm

schiaparelli

Postby momjeans » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:52 pm

started reading this a while ago but then got busy with class and had 2 put it down. trying 2 actually get through it all the way rn.

federici does a rly good job of showing the connection between capitalism and misogyny/patriarchy.

ill post a longer review once i finish the book.

momjeans

Postby JewTurk » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:42 am

I need a pick-me-up, Notes from Underground tore me apart and I really just need something polar opposite to that...

Recs?

JewTurk

Postby bels » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 pm

The idiot.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Cowboy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Catch-22 is a yummy read

Cowboy

Postby momjeans » Fri May 01, 2015 4:51 am

j finished geometric regional novel by gert jonke.
its kind of a difficult piece of text 2 get thru cuz it definitely relies on stuplimity 2 get its point across, and it is a full length novel.

momjeans

Postby zayg » Fri May 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Just finished my fourth Vonnegut novel in a month and a half. Went Slaughterhouse Five -> Cat's Cradle -> Breakfast of Champions -> Mother Night and I've just started Galapagos.

Can't believe I slept on reading this dude's stuff for so many years being that he is considered an essential. I just love how satirical he is.

Cat's Cradle was probably my favorite, although I really loved Mother Night and Slaughterhouse Five as well. Breakfast of Champions was just okay, definitely my least favorite of the bunch.

zayg

Postby Ques » Sat May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

about to head out on 30 days of travel so looking for good book suggestions for the kindle to take with me. thinking of rereading all the books i was supposed to read for high school but was a horrible person and didn't, like slaughterhouse five, the great gatsby, the stranger, a brave new world, etc

if anyone had any books that they really enjoyed reading while travelling, or short stories/poetry, let me know

half-way through Shards by Ismet Prcic and it's changing my life, incredible collection of short stories

Ques

Postby rjbman » Sat May 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Novels: The Road, Cat's Cradle, Catch 22, 1984, The Great Gatsby, The Left Hand of Darkness. On a less literary note: Ancillary Justice, Against the Fall of Night, The Name of the Wind.

Short stories: Collected Fictions by Borges, Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Where I'm Calling From by Carver.

rjbman

Postby momjeans » Tue May 12, 2015 10:48 am

finished are you my mother? by allison bechdel. i thought that it was a good, fairly introductory novel to psychotherapy, but i did feel as though the book skirted around the relationship with the mother (even though, ostensibly, this is what the book is about), and instead used it as a way to illustrate her relationship with psychotherapy. i understand that the book is closely based on true events, but it definitely made the end of the book much less satisfying than i would have liked.

right now im in the middle of reading watt by samuel beckett. i hated it at first, but finally, like 150 pages in ive started to find my stride with reading this painstaking text. a friend told me that before writing this, beckett had read all of kant's books, as well as his biography, and that definitely makes this a more interesting read.

momjeans

Postby hmwut » Thu May 21, 2015 2:17 am

haunting read about the 'sacrifice zones' of america, namely the pine ridge lakota reservation in south dakota, west virginia, camden new jersey, and florida tomato fields.

each section is terrifying and heartbreaking in its own right. destruction of community, absolute poverty, universal drug abuse, insane rates of rape and murder, environmental devastation leading to crippling health issues, total urban decay and slavery are all very real things in america with a singular cause. despite the variety of locations and issues, the total state of despair and misery present in the people of these places is identical. the stories the interviewees tell, brilliantly brought to life by cartoonist joe sacco, are very difficult to read. this is a work of horror made even more horrible by the fact that it's nonfiction.

despite is grimness this is an insightful and important read. chris hedges' moral core and righteous rage is inspiring, drawing on the tradition of american christian anarchists like dorothy day. ultimately he presents popular, non-violent protest and revolution as the only decent solution to the vicious death throes of empire. whether or not you agree with that, one thing you can't deny - for many people this is their reality.

some more illustrations

hmwut

Postby JewTurk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Anyone read How to Win Friends and Influence People?

My professor said he read it when he was in his 20s and attributed much of his personal success to it, he's written 4-5 books with his wife, is an attorney and lectures across the world now... It just seems to dance around being a "self-help" book and I've always tried to shy away from it in that regard.

Reading The Rosie Project currently, interesting look into love from a different perspective (supposedly a characteristic of the main character isn't supposed to be super obvious but... it's super obvious...). Still enjoying it as a nice beach read kinda thing, quirky humor, light read.

Also reading Just Mercy to get a head start on one of my courses in the fall that I got the syllabus early for, pretty hard stuff.

JewTurk

Postby sunblam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Today, is reading Pleats Please and snapchatting me literally every page.

Today, I am reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and don't like it very much.
Last week, I read A Hologram for the King and liked it very much.

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby windowflowers » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 pm

Been reading Just Kids at an obscenely slow pace, but I really like it a lot

windowflowers

Postby rjbman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm

I binge read Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. Admiration for Gibson grows even greater, and William Gibson x Buzz Rickson's MA-1 is high on the cop list.

Also read Ancillary Sword, Abbadon's Gate, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Was gonna read Go Set a Watchman but after Mockingbird I don't think I wanna ruin it with a supposedly crappy sequel.

rjbman

Postby charybdis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:25 pm

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby thephfactor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:38 pm

Sort of reading 100 Years of Solitude. Uncomfortable book in a lot of ways but also kinda fascinating.

Ordered some books from amazon just now with my soccer shin guards. Like Water For Chocolate, Ubick, Ulysses, and Saving Our Cities and Ourselves from the Automobile.

thephfactor

books

Postby brlmski » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 pm

wanting to get into some more foreign language literature, just picked up the three-body problem by liu cixin and the opening is pretty good so far. any other suggestions of non-english (non-european preferred) literature?

brlmski

Postby Cowboy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Deleuze and Guatarri if you want to feel like ur not as smart as you thought

Cowboy

PreviousNext

Return to Care