[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What are you reading today/book club

What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:27 pm

I, like many others it would seem, got all fucked up by Normal People the TV show so I decided to get the book.

The TV show was astonishingly true to the book, and I think I enjoyed the book more than the show. I felt like I could enjoy the pacing more. (Sally Rooney is the author)

I decided to read Conversations with Friends, another book of hers, and am just finishing Part One. I'm having a harder time relating to/sympathizing with some of the character choices. Has anyone else read both and care to share their experience?

JewTurk

Postby Benson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:59 am

Benson

Postby JewTurk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:29 pm

@Benson

Did you have any take aways from either book about how "capitalist" notions that are embedded in modern relationships were explored in the book? I recall some interviews where the author mentions how they were trying to explore how relationships tend to be looked at as an exchange of goods and that there's this implicit ownership etc that I thought was really interesting to have in the back of my mind while reading them both.

re: Marianne name-drop

I can't imagine it was accidental, I think if anything just a little head-nod of sorts. Thought interesting to think they all live in the same universe.

JewTurk

Postby Ques » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pm

i much preferred conversations with friends, but i preferred the TV show to both books

this was really good: https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/07/1 ... al-people/

Ques

Postby costanza » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Recently finished Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind which gives you great perspective of the morality of people you disagree with. Reading it makes it harder to fall into the trap of thinking there is one true way of looking at the world. Right now reading Antonio Damasio's Descartes' Error which is about how emotions motivate us to take a specific action among the many different ones we could take. Damasio studied brain damaged patients who were incapable of feeling emotions and understood that if you cannot feel them you will ruin your life because your decisions will be affected fundamentally from your lack of projecting value onto different scenarios.

costanza

Postby Benson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm

It's happening:

Benson

Postby kickingthefly » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

at the gates of heaven knocking no answer
slow dancer hopeless romancer
dopest flow stanzas

kickingthefly

Postby zevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:08 pm

I finished Suttree today. I'm not sure what to say about it but I love Cormac McCarthy so much.

zevolution

Previous

Return to Care