[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What are you reading today/book club

What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby CleanThug » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:52 pm

#2 of books recommended by care-tags

CleanThug

Postby Spartangy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Currently trying to finish up The Picture of Dorian Grey, I always really enjoy books that explore morals and human nature.

, .
Spartangy

Postby fuxwitit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm

reading Slaughterhouse-Five for the first time, it's also the first vonnegut i've read.

young dumb mothafucka
fuxwitit

Postby CMYK » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 am

I just finished Remainder by Tom McCarthy... Amazing book. Nothing I've read in a long time has stuck with me like it has.

CMYK

Postby radicalbusiness » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:19 am

currently reading the god of small things, which is such a heart breaking novel. roy has a very interesting voice in her writing and i wish she still did fiction, but i have a lot of respect for her career of activism too.
also working on the social animal by aronson. had to do read a segment for a class but now i am almost done with the whole thing. probably the most relevant book i have ever read. he puts everything in very simple terms and covers a huge breadth of concepts.

radicalbusiness

Postby fuxwitit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 am

I started reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, its absolutely incredible. I love the post-apocalyptic genre and this doesn't disappoint.

young dumb mothafucka
fuxwitit

Postby seth83292 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:44 am

Finished Kafka on the shore.

Eh.

I loved this goodreaders review though. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/76 ... rue&page=1

seth83292

Postby exprof » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 pm

exprof

Postby frogosaurus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 am

Reading Discipline & Punish and loving it. Foucault is the fucking man.

frogosaurus

Postby jjetpants » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 am

Just finished Kafka on the Shore, kinda agree with seth. Enjoyed Wind Up Bird, even 1Q84, much more.
Now the problem is that I've been piling books up the past couple months and don't know what to read next.
Probably A Confederacy of Dunces...but I might go pick up another Sedaris instead, idk I'll flip a coin.

jjetpants

Postby radicalbusiness » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 am

just finished crime and punishment / the invisible man and really liked them both. Y'all really seem to like Murakami's stuff, I only read Kafka on the Shore and After Dark but I really liked them both, especially after dark. Any recommendations about where to go next or other similar authors to explore?

radicalbusiness

Postby bels » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:20 am

I'd just read more Murakami, and once I'd read a bunch of it I'd re read some of the stuff I previously read. I feel like Muzza rewards rereading very well.

Personally reading a lot of lovecraft instead of doing work.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smrk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 am

Finished Camus' "The Stranger" and now I'm back to reading Max Frisch, currently it's "Stiller". Really enjoying this novel so far.

smrk

Postby oucho » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 pm

reading a biography of Bruce Chatwin, it's interesting, I'm reading it for work, going to move onto a biography of Kafka next, also 4 work

oucho

Postby zayg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm

trying to read Norwegian Wood (adding to murakami talk) but instead i had to stop to read black water by joyce carol oates for a class. looking at in a different lens makes me not dislike this novel as much, but i still find it pretty dreadful to read

zayg

Postby sidewalk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:05 pm

edit

Last edited by sidewalk on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewalk

Postby bels » Sun May 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Think it took me about a year but I just finished INFINITE JEST.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby exprof » Sun May 18, 2014 2:32 pm

AHHHH! have you read Aaron Schwartz's *SPOILERS* obviously if you haven't read it.

exprof

Postby charybdis » Sun May 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Infinite Jest has been sitting on my bedside table for the last three years after I read 250ish pages and then got distracted. Maybe I'll do

Been reading a lot of old children's books because I've been in close proximity to my sister. Totally forgot how amazing From the Mixed Up FIles of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is. (I mean, come on, it's about two kids who run away and camp out in the Met.) Also, I found this pdf when I googled the book: http://www.metmuseum.org/~/media/Files/ ... 0Issue.pdf

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby bhajz » Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Been reading this lately as I've been trying to get more into womens fashion lately.

Reading this really wants me to read more about CDG and all the different diffusion lines that have been started. Also have helped me appreciate Jun Takahashi, one of my favorite designers, even more as his womens stuff is out of this world, especially his really early stuff. I found A/W 00-01 to be really fucking amazing. It's a really great read, definitely recommend.

bhajz

Postby pk! » Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 am

Pk! "Pok Gai," Cantonese phrase/insult for, "Go fall in the street."
I fell into the streets and missed the ground.
pk!

Postby CleanThug » Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 am

I love this thread, I have so many books on my to-read list now

CleanThug

Postby bels » Mon May 19, 2014 5:31 am

I'd not seen that interpretation of the ending and it strikes me that I'd never have a chance of being able to work it out because of the huge amount of time it took me to read the book. I guess that the whole thing needs to be read in a relatively short period of time for it to be really appreciated which is kind of cool. Or maybe it needs to be reread which is also cool but I'm not sure where I'd get another year from.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Currently reading Gogol's Dead Souls - terribly good and very funny.

Syeknom

Postby absurdmind » Mon May 19, 2014 3:25 pm

getting through david lewis' on the plurality of worlds which is cool for anyone into philosophy. probably going to read kafkas the trial next.

absurdmind

Postby donut_milk » Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm

I enjoy reading food literature and am working my way slowly through this:

donut_milk

Postby sparkyoriental » Mon May 19, 2014 6:08 pm

My concentration is terrible, these days I can barely sit down for 5 minutes to read a book. :(( Used to love reading. Now the only things I read are journal articles, textbooks, and occasionally the newspaper.

I really enjoy memoirs and I've been slowly sloughing through "The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness" by Elyn Saks. If you or anyone that you know has schizophrenia, I highly highly recommend her memoir. She's a professor at USC in Law. Her descriptions of psychosis are spot on. It's a pretty tragic book, but it's wonderfully heartwarming at the same time as you go with Elyn through her treatment and successes. Definitely a very motivational book.

sparkyoriental

Postby nucktux » Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 am

nucktux

Postby vgtbls » Wed May 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Just finished Pattern Recognition. I really liked it, but I'm a huge Gibson fan so that's no surprise.

Working my way slowly through Plastic Ocean by Captain Charles Moore. The science and history parts are cool, but he couldn't string together a pearl necklace, much less a narrative.

vgtbls

Postby seth83292 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Just finished Never let me go. I liked it a lot actually, maybe it's cause I'm so into orphan black right now, but those last 20-30 pages really touched me.

Going to start Blood meridian soon.

seth83292

PreviousNext

Return to Care