[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Words, Words, Words

Words, Words, Words

Off topic

Words, Words, Words

Postby oldtrailmix » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Poetry, novel excerpts, song lyrics, quotes, stuff which you wrote or that someone else did - if it's a clump of words that makes you feel something, share it in this thread. Feel free to include images or music that you feel connects with the words somehow.

---

I'm still jamming on Fitzgerald:

Yet high over the city our line of yellow windows must have contributed their share of human secrecy to the casual watcher in the darkening streets, and I was him too, looking up and wondering. I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.

Trainspotting:

The truth is that I'm a bad person. But, that's gonna change - I'm going to change. This is the last of that sort of thing. Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you. The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption, clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die.

oldtrailmix

Re: Words, Words, Words

Postby rjbman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:44 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby stappard_ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 am

stappard_

Postby balloons » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:33 pm

oh god this is going to be my favorite thread, I can just tell

Your peonies lean their vast heads westward
as if they might topple. Some topple.

- Donald Hall, from Weeds and Peonies

briefly, I considered starting a subversively well-read surfpunk band called Weed and Peonies, but it never panned out beyond a few tentative song drafts.

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby JewTurk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Infinite Jest was a seriously 10/10 novel.

I find myself quoting it more often than not. Vonnegut too.

This one probably sticks out the most for me in regards to Vonnegut.

"
The First Book

Warning from title page: Don't be a fool! Close this book at once! It is nothing but foma!
[ 118 ]

Verse 1: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. [ 4 ]

Verses 2-4 (?): In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away. [ 118 ]

Verse 5: Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.

"

I did a little sketch about this in one of my journals from a year back, the imagery of someone sculpting a man out of mud usually gives high school pseudo-intellectuals a huge boner.

If I had to have a quote tattooed on my body it would definitely be "Live by the foma...".

JewTurk

Postby balloons » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 am

"It felt strange punching in the code at the gate and seeing how things were different and the same, how the trees had grown while the flowerbeds remained in a state of suspended animation, everything in perpetual bloom and clipped to within a millimeter of perfection. The gardeners saw to that. A whole battalion of them that swarmed over the place twice a week with their blowers and edgers and trimmers, at war with the weeds, the insects, the gophers and ground squirrels, and the very tendency of the display plants to want to grow outside the box."

from TC Boyle's Admiral

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby fountainstairs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 am

a friend said this to me earlier this week:

"she had generic eyes so i see her everywhere"

this really really got to me.

fountainstairs

Postby birdman caw » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Dickensian Children
Roberto Bolaño

You admire the poet with nerves of steel Right?
Right In the same way you admire
the worker with savage hours and shopkeepers
who fall asleep at dawn counting gold
and 25-year-old girls who fuck all
night and the next day take three or four exams
at the university
It’s tough to understand the above I mean to say
wild animals hanging around the walls of my house
Owls and Dickensian children Lizards and hermaphrodites
painted by Moreau The suns of my two rooms
The buzz of footsteps that can harden at any moment
like a sculpture of dirty plaster The vacant
eyes of the saint riding his horse toward
the Dragon

also Charles Olsen merks

birdman caw

Postby rublev » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:55 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby chadnik » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Really like Bolaño. The opening lines of "Prose from Autumn in Girona (Prosa del otoño en Gerona)" (from Tres), translated poorly by me:

A person—I should say a stranger—who caresses you, jokes around with you, is sweet to you and brings you to the edge of a cliff. There, the character cries Oh or becomes pale. As if he were inside a kaleidoscope and seeing the eye looking back at him. Colors arranged in a geometry alien to everything you're prepared to accept as good. This is how autumn begins, between the river Oñar and the hill of Las Pedreras.

The stranger is sprawled out on the bed. Through scenes empty of love (flat bodies, sadomasochistic objects, pills, and the faces of the unemployed) you come to the moment that you declare autumn and you discover the stranger.

In the bedroom, in addition to the reflection that sucks everything into it, you observe stones, yellow slabs of rock, sand, pillows with hairs on them, abandoned pajamas. Then everything disappears.

Original:

chadnik

Postby RycePooding » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 pm

This Is Just to Say
William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

RycePooding

Postby rublev » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Paul Celan might be my favourite poet. The above is a piece called Todesfuge (Death Fugue) and is probably his most famous poem. It's also the first i read and the lines 'We shovel a grave in the air' and 'scrape your strings darker you'll rise then as smoke to the sky' have always stayed with me.

He was born in Romania in 1920, and grew up in a Jewish family which resulted in both his parents dying in labour camps (Celan also spent time in a camp). Post WW2 he moved to Bucharest, Vienna, and finally Paris. He never really escaped the mental weight of being Jewish and German, and the events of the Holocaust (which the above poem is about). He committed suicide by throwing himself into the Seine in 1970.

His life was tragic but also incredibly interesting and moving. There's a brilliant by John Felstiner that i'd recommend if anyone is interested in reading more about him. It combines both poetry analysis and his story. Really good read.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Iliam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Iliam

Postby frogosaurus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:36 am

frogosaurus

Postby longjumps » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 am

longjumps

Postby Iliam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:36 am

Iliam

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:29 am

DeafIdiotGod

Postby wiggly--woo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 am

wiggly--woo

Postby bels » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Bright enfolding arch of sky

Where are words to voice my heart?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby WikiZuHeltzer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:25 pm

WikiZuHeltzer

Postby klonopin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:08 am

klonopin

Postby absurdmind » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:17 am

absurdmind

Postby parastexis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:58 am

somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond
any experience,your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility:whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands

e e cummings

parastexis

Postby thatbiglake » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 pm

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby alby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 pm

hope this is an appropriate thread

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby chadnik » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 pm

chadnik

Postby oldtrailmix » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 am

Chapter One:

And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.

Chapter Seven:

"What'll we do with ourselves this afternoon?" cried Daisy, "and the day after that, and the next thirty years?"

"Don't be morbid," Jordan said. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."

God, what a book.

oldtrailmix

Postby Iliam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 pm

The Fish

She stands over a fish, thinking about certain irrevocable mistakes she has made today. Now the fish has been cooked, and she is alone with it. The fish is for her--there is no one else in the house. But she has had a troubling day. How can she eat this fish, cooling on a slab of marble? And yet the fish, too, motionless as it is, and dismantled from its bones, and fleeced of its silver skin, has never been so completely alone as it is now: violated in a final manner and regarded with a weary eye by this woman who has made the latest mistake of her day and done this to it.

- Lydia Davis

Iliam

Postby kyung » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:55 am

broken english

when my mother struggles to spell a word in english
I want to break the entire language
into little pieces
so the edges of these letters
will stop cutting her

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby wintyd0n0 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:21 am

This is quite well known in England and is one of my favourite passages at the moment.

If I should die think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England.

-Rupert Brooke

wintyd0n0

Next

Return to Care