[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Tennis

Tennis

Off topic

Tennis

Postby bels » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Enough football talk. It's all about tennis now.

Unfortunately I know little to nothing about the actual game of tennis. So if someone can explain to me what's going on in Wimbledon right now I'd appreciate it. I saw Cornet beat Serena, that was pretty cool. But the men's stuff seems a bit tepid at the moment as the big four slowly work their way through the lower ranks.

bels
Yung Winona

Re: Care Tags Lawn Tennis Club

Postby bels » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Griminol (treasurer, mixed double champion 2008) mentioned that Umit Benan s/s 2015 is very tennis core. I should get some.

When I rock up to the club I can be like:

Then I hit the changing rooms and walk on court like:

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:08 pm

all the cool kids play in fred simons

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/89133972[/vimeo]

maj

Postby bels » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/50229630[/vimeo]

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:37 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:42 pm

This is all happening up the road from me. Good outfits and hats all round.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Stingray Sam » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm

i'm taking a tennis course for community college this fall, i've never play the sport but it sounds fun

Stingray Sam

Postby bels » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am

Bouchard vs Cornet kicking off today at 1300, could be good (???)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 am

Is indoor multiwall tennis club talk allowed here?

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby zayg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 pm

badminton is superior racquet and net sport

zayg

Postby bels » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:44 pm

You're both banned

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 pm

I went into town to see if any of the free courts were free to practice my serve but they were rammed. When I got back, some random wildcard called Kyrgios had knocked Nadal out? Damn.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 am

maj

Postby Stingray Sam » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Stingray Sam

Postby bueno » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm

i've never played on a grass court...seems like it'd be nice. at least you can kind of see if a ball is in or out easily on clay courts.

bueno

Postby bels » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:59 pm

The women's final looked a bit of a steamroll from kvitkova. Impeccable tennis. Looking forward to djok on fed tomorrow, but hope it goes on a little longer than 55 minutes. I think djok will take it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 am

This final is looking pretty hardcore at the moment. Djokovich plays like a brick wall but everyone wants a Federer to get the win and the crowd is fully behind him. What about Jimmy Connor's outfit tho??

bels
Yung Winona

Postby anshin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 pm

:(

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

Postby bels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 am

http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/H ... 000710.pdf

Essay about tennis from Dave Foster Wallace (Beatified Saint Of Literate Tennis)

Worth a look just for the 1991 era Harpers Magazine adverts.

http://www.esquire.com/features/sports/ ... heory-0796

Here's another DFW essay about tennis.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 am

I guess any Tennis thread ends up being a DFW thread too.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby freddy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm

what about table tennis? :D

freddy

Postby bels » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Berdych H&M

(In a nice twist the stuff they sell in store doesn't have the h&m branding on it)

Y3 Barricades

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Northwest » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 pm

"Why hello there. My name is David Foster Wallace. Did you know that I can make the stereotypical sport metaphor college essay into a 1,079 page novel that contains longish stretches of genius? I'm quite remarkable that way."

In the midst of Infinite Jest at the moment. The relationship I have to it emotionally is somewhat peculiar.

On a personal note, tennis is incredibly fun and there's a court just a few blocks from my house and someone please play tennis with me.

Northwest

Postby Cowboy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Let's talk about women's tennis being 2/3 while men's is full 5 and how (afaik) this has rarely, if ever, been addressed

It's kinda really wrong

Let's also talk about how Serena is the queen of tennis, to the point where I believe she could easily beat most of the top ten men. She just murdered semis and finals of French after an immense flu.

And let's talk about our deep powerful love for Roger and how he simply must win another Grand, because he should never retire I can't see him retire

Cowboy

Postby deadkitty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:56 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... es_(tennis)

unfortunately the gap between male and female physical ability (or at least tennis ability) seems to be quite large

deadkitty

Postby Cowboy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:53 am

she couldn't. She (and every other player) doesn't stand a chance against the big three. Djoko (pompous ass he is) Nadal, federer are the pinnacle of tennis ability. I'm sure somebody will top it in the future but they are the best there has ever been (no, Nishikori won't be that good. Wawrinka is at the edge though...)

But the thing about those battle of the sexes is how dumb they were. Tennis is a mental game, 90%. The goal of any tennis player is to be in a state of mind where they can truly play, be they 200 lb 5'4 or be they 170 6'2

So when you put a woman in front of a guy and tell her, you are the future of woman's tennis, this is it. Then you play and watch them jeer at you for every point you miss, it gets to you. King came in prepared for that more than his tennis game, because any pro can switch game patterns at a whim.

Battle of the Sexes was at a time where women's rights stil didn't have the sway they needed to be held in a serious light. Today, that's changed, and with Serena being the absolute queen of tennis that she is, I can see her beat down Berdych, Nishikori, maybe even Waw. Not because of physical skill, but because of mental. If she can hold her focus agains them, win from the jump, they will shatter. Because the idea of losing to a woman is not something pros take well, and she can win by mind instead of mettle.

She could also beat most of the top 50 by pure tennis skill.

And I'm saying this when she's 33. Imagine her at 26!

Also, women don't have to be measured by their win rate against men to be to told they can play 5 sets. That's not about tennis, that's about the world actually realizing women can also endure that amount of tennis. That change would absolutely turn women's tennis upside down (I think a reason it hasn't changed is that everyone is comfortable there)

Most pros would probably have to drop, you would see a focus switch to endurance rather than what most women's tennis is focused on: spin and placement.

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:26 pm

After the match with Djoko might have to change my opinion of STANNIS Wawrinka

Last set was just bonkers

Cowboy

Postby bels » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:45 am

Should I match my sweatband to my wrist bands? Or go for complimentary colours? Please advise.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 am

I live about 5 mins from Wimbledon tennis and I've never even watched one match. I don't even know if 'match' is the right term.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 am

From speaking to ppl Wimbledon is kind of a ballache these days and if you just want to see some tennis you'd be better off going somewhere in Europe.

Queens is on right now which is like the Wimbledon warmup. It's in west ken or something though.

Stanimal vs Kyrios is on RIGHT NOW

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/32759221

bels
Yung Winona

Next

Return to Care