[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - No Maps For These Territories. The William Gibson Thread

No Maps For These Territories. The William Gibson Thread

Off topic

No Maps For These Territories. The William Gibson Thread

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Re: No Maps For These Territories. The William Gibson Thread

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Brief Introduction To William:

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CleanThug » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

I read Zero History first not knowing it was a series.

Finished Pattern recognition a week ago and Spook Country arrived today.

What's Gibson working on currently?

CleanThug

Postby starfox64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:15 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby vgtbls » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:23 pm

I've read maybe 8 William Gibson books and he's definitely one of my favorite authors. I'm always so impressed with his ability to perfectly nail down not just a scene but a FEELING of a scene. He's a real master at extraneous details that elevate his stories from people in a blank room to flushed out humans in a jam-packed world. His Burning Chrome collection of short stories is a great primer to his style.

vgtbls

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm

I'd guess William Gibson is currently working on a story set in 1993 about Gophernet.

I'd say that whilst Gibson's characters and plots are generally lifted almost verbatim from pulp fiction (detective novels, spy novels and early science fiction seem to be his most mined from genres) his books carry an eerie sense of place which feels contemporary even when they were written 20 years ago and set 20 years into the future.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Grilliam Ribson Paris Review Inteview:

http://www.theparisreview.org/interview ... iam-gibson

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 am

Great Moments In Cyberpunk:

https://twitter.com/erlsn/status/506593119018962944

Gerraldson Pugh reads the galleys of Gillian Robson's latest book.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:11 am

Really though, can you claim to be even remotely cyberpunk any more?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 am

I just read my first William Gibson book last week, All Tomorrow's Parties. Did a bit of research afterwards cause i quite liked it and it turns out he wrote Neuromancer which is one of those books i've been meaning to read for years. I really enjoy Neal Stephenson style writing (snow crash, reamde, and cryptonomicon are books i reread often) but Gibson really fleshed out the world of the novel without doing it overtly (not so much x is so and so and y is so and so but the reader learns through the characters). Neuromancer's definitely next on my list now

mc-lunar

Postby Iliam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:33 am

Iliam

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Check it out, William Gibson did an interview with Rawr Denim

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2015/03/willia ... henticity/

DeafIdiotGod

Postby stappard_ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:38 am

stappard_

Postby bels » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:04 am

Looking around to see what Bill had to say on subcultures for the wavey garms thread and found this:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/12/18/willia ... k-opinion/

and this:

http://www.wired.com/2012/09/william-gi ... unk-memes/

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:08 pm

what did you think of The Peripheral?

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby bels » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:16 am

I thought the concept seemed wack so I didn't read it yet.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:56 am

Was talking with my friends parents tonight about what we'd been reading and when I mentioned gibson they said they'd met him a few times through a friend of theirs in the architecture community here; apparently he was much more quiet and restrained than they had imagined

ramseames

Postby bels » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:02 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby teck » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:08 pm

i feel gibson is the fashion writer the fashion world needs, obsessive and critical.

however i find his dialogue to be so...thriller-y. its like two dudes just trading edgy witticisms.

"Do you like it?"

"What's to like?"

"That's the thing. There's nothing. Everything."

"Yes."

"Edgy."

"Witty."

"Smoking cigarette and zipping up my bomber."

teck

Postby bels » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:26 pm

I kind of want a buzz gibson. If anyone sees one for £15 that would fit a size M hit me up

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Northwest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:01 pm

Willy and Michael St. John Smith have a collaborative project/comic coming out in May titled Archangel that he just announced on twitter. Variant cover on his twitter implies time shenanigans involving flight. Shows a B-2 spirit (the first plane you think of when you hear the words stealth bomber; absurdly geometric) flying alongside WWII era (?) fighters. Imagery brought up shades of Miyazaki's The Wind Rises montage of the history of flight. Seems like an excellent place for his sensibilities. The psychology of flight, obsessive engineering detail that becomes part of the design language of violence could certainly fit into his examinations as unmanned vehicles do the same to air forces as they have to other branches of the military.

Plus, it'll be fun to see how Gibson works with an illustrator. His words alone inspire so many people to draw their ideas of what he is trying to say.

Northwest

Postby bels » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:53 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Northwest » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:15 pm

Things keep sounding better with regard to how much I think I will enjoy Archangel.

Quick summary of Q&A linked above: plot uses similar conceit to The Peripheral where a "splitter" was invented in desperation to escape the timeline humanity has ended up on. Main characters will be Naomi Givens (RAF intelligence officer in 1945 Berlin), her ex (American OSS officer), and the Pilot ("a nameless marine from a seriously harsh-ass 2016 America).

Preview images here:

Personal favorite is the depiction of what I believe is alternate history White House, completely isolated from any surrounding geography with immediate access to a security bunker.

Northwest

Postby rjbman » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 pm

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 am

- discusses how privacy and history overlap

rjbman

Postby uames » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Agrippa-- the disappearing electronic poem

(video has embed disabled)

Documented in the Agrippa Project:
Excerpt from book chapter on Agrippa by Matthew Kirschenbaum:

the agrippa poem shows a more sentimental side to gibson than almost any other work-- and he obscured the whole thing with an elaborate conceit (self-encrypting disk with no included key) designed to make it borderline impossible to read. almost like he's afraid to show too much of himself. i sometimes wonder if the pattern recognition trilogy's milgrim was something of an autobiographical character for gibson-- always seeking some kind of security blanket effect, first from drugs but later from a pair of interesting green trousers.

uames

Postby odradek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:26 am

odradek

Postby rjbman » Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pm

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 pm

I so screwed up - never shared the article about the upcoming follow-up to The Peripheral (it's called Agency)

Thoughts? I'm a little peeved at the decision to set it in a future w/ Clinton winning (wanna trade, Peripheral folks?) because it feels like a bit of a cop out to write a book so present-day and focused but without dealing with the monstrosity that is Trump.

rjbman

Next

Return to Care