[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Art

Art

Off topic

Re: (capital) A – R – T

Postby ramseames » Fri May 09, 2014 8:39 pm

James jarvis

ramseames

Postby exprof » Sun May 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Paul Nash (great war vibes 4 the brits)

exprof

Postby donut_milk » Sun May 11, 2014 9:08 pm

donut_milk

Postby rublev » Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Caught this before it finished in Brussels. A beautiful exhibition!

Lighting was a bit oppressive inside which meant my photos came out a bit weird... lost the 'real' colours etc but you get the idea.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

"Franz Erhard Walther’s exhibition offers an in-depth look at an influential German artist whose pioneering work straddles minimalist sculpture, conceptual art, abstract painting, and performance all while positing fundamental questions about the conventional idea of the artwork as an immutable, obdurate pedestalor wall-bound thing. Bringing together pivotal works made between the 1950s and the present, this exhibition focuses on Walther’s ability to transform notions of objecthood and perception through drawings, paintings, fabric sculptures, participatory forms, language based works, photographic documentation and archival material.

The show at WIELS, the first for the artist in Belgium and one of the larger of his solo exhibitions to date, will underscore the essential tension provoked by Walther’s work and the ways it thinks about what and artwork can do, or what can be done with it as opposed to how merely it appears or what it is. The show will trace this tension via a sweeping panorama of the artist’s production, including more than one hundred works, while also drawing attention to the artist’s relationship to documentation, both photographic and drawn, and his fundamental conception of the exhibition itself as a platform for social action. It will include numerous objects to be manipulated in the exhibition and will be animated by several workshops and work demonstrations led by the artist.
"

rublev
Political Editor

Postby rublev » Tue May 13, 2014 11:57 am

I also went to the new Fin De Siècle wing of the Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Brussels and it's pretty wow. A really beautiful collection in a good space.

I had only seen one or two Ensor paintings but here they have a whole area dedicated to him. This was probably the overall highlight for me, as i found them to have the most impact. It's a little unsetting (in a good way) how he seemed to evolve from what i see as more general conservative realism to some pretty surreal pieces involving masks and skeletons (an expressionism that was ahead of its time). Apart from this obviously seeing one of my fave Gauguin paintings was wonderful, as was seeing pointillism up close with work by Georges Seurat and that massive Théo van Rysselberghe Promenade piece.

"The new Musée Fin-de-Siècle Museum presents Brussels as the cultural crossroads of Europe at the turn of the century. This exceptional collection of works by Belgian artists such as James Ensor, Fernand Khnopff, Constant Montald, Léon Spilliaert, Victor Horta, Henry Van de Velde or Philippe Wolfers,… and by foreign artists such as Paul Gauguin, Auguste Rodin, Pierre Bonnard, Emile Gallé, Louis Majorelle and Alphonse Mucha,… places the art scene at the heart of international creativity.

With the organization of the salons of Les XX (1883-1894) and La Libre Esthétique (1894–1914), in the very rooms of this museum, Brussels became a unique hub for creative work. It didn’t identify itself with the Impressionist wave but found in the conjunction of Symbolism, the Wagnerian movement and Art Nouveau the emblems of an identity that did, to a great extent, shape the face of the city. “Brussels, capital of Art Nouveau” is not just a matter of architecture. The term refers in the first place to the dynamism of a society. And this society made its mark in every art discipline: literature, painting, opera, music, architecture, photography, and poetry; and through the works of Maurice Maeterlinck, Emile Verhaeren, Jean Delville, Henri Evenepoel, Constantin Meunier, Maurice Kufferath, and Guillaume Lekeu, to name a few.
"

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Also went to the Magritte wing of the museum which was cool. I always thought i was a bit meh-meh about him and while there's a lot i still don't really feel that interested by there were some really cool pieces.

Image Image

:woop:

rublev
Political Editor

Postby areo » Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 pm

areo

Postby iamacyborg » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Saw both of these yesterday.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/21297593[/vimeo]

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/6601730[/vimeo]

iamacyborg

Postby schiaparelli » Sat May 24, 2014 12:41 pm

is a cute game where you smash ai weiwei vases into digital square confetti-esque shards. it's actually a very trivial game but it's also pretty funny, and i am delighted by the sound of the vases breaking. (via , an art blog i highly recommend)

ONLINE GAMES AS ART-WORLD COMMENTARY?
CONVERTING PHYSICAL ACTIONS TO THE DIGITAL SPHERE?
this is fun.

schiaparelli

Postby stappard_ » Sun May 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Recently reread some of my old David Shrigley books. He's really excellent.

stappard_

Postby smrk » Mon May 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Wayne Thiebaud ()

"Pie Counter" (1963)

"24th Street Intersection" (1977)

I really like the shadows and how the details are colored.
Interesting line from the wiki: "Thiebaud considers himself not an artist, but a painter. He is a voracious reader and is known for reading poetry to his students"

And one more Nolde painting:

"Zwei am Meerstrand" [Two at the beach] (1903)

smrk

Postby ramseames » Sat May 31, 2014 6:11 pm

http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhi ... pland.html

http://couplandexhibition.org/exhibition

Douglas Coupland at the VAG opened today. Went around 10:30. pretty busy. some really cool stuff. very canadian. didn't know too much about him before, gonna do a bit of research now.

good quality pics from the exhibit site cuz my phone sux:

ramseames

Postby rublev » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 pm

clean up

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby exprof » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:47 pm

La Monte Young

exprof

Postby chadnik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 am

Maybe it's because I'm in a dusty, landlocked, airless place for the next week and a half, but Richard Diebenkorn is especially appealing to me right now.

chadnik

Postby rublev » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:35 am

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby rublev » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:37 pm

All over Scotland just now there is a nation wide exhibition called Generation 25 - celebrating 25 years of contemporary art in Scotland. Over 100 artists and in 60 venues. From main galleries in Glasgow and Edinburgh to little places in Banff and Sky. I guess Scotland has always punched above its weight when it comes to contemporary art (see Glasgow alumni nominated for the Turner prize etc) but this does a good job of making us remember / appreciate / cheer! Christine Borland, Martin Boyce, David Shrigley, Callum Innes, Karla Black, Luke Fowler, Ross Sinclair, Dougal Gordon, Alex Dordoy, Graham Fagen, Richard Wright... etc.

I had the afternoon in Edinburgh yesterday but only had time to view about half of the stuff on show. Looks like Glasgow maybe has the best selection.

Image Image

Outside the national gallery and inside the shop

Image Image

New Karla Black piece

Image Image

Jim Lambie

Image Image

Callum Innes (these paintings were beautiful!)

rublev
Political Editor

Postby yourdad » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Went on a tour of the Rennie Collection of Rodney Graham's work today at the Wing Sang building. Wonderful collection of paintings, photos, videos, and installations. Anyone with some time should sign up for their tour. In fact, I believe that is the only way to view the collection since the space is so small.

yourdad

Postby exprof » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 pm

The MAC is currently housing the Pulse Room by Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. Really cool blend of art x technology. Basically a person puts his/her hands on one of those heart monitor handle things you usually find on stationary bicycles, then it records your heartbeat and pushes the signal across the room. Very cool experience.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/33927355[/vimeo]

exprof

Postby longjumps » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 am

Reidar Pritzel - Human Territory

""

longjumps

Postby rjbman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Went to the Museum of Contemporary Art with , , and .

Here they are embedded:

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rublev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 am

elena damiani

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Iliam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:22 am

Blaise Larmee doing good things. appropriating tumblr core. commenting on our internet existence.
'blurring' the line between high art and comic book art etc.

Iliam

Postby fenderbender » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 pm

this isn't really in line with what a lot of y'all have been posting, but I have been following Victor Vasquez (formerly 1/2 of Das Racist) on Instagram and really want to get something of his.

fenderbender

Postby rublev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

i agree about the lambie floor. it felt very contrived. no matter how much of a video explanation etc, the whole thing just seemed a bit dumb. the colours were like a bad ice cream. he had a couple of other pieces, like a tinfoil mask and some coloured wheels on a wall, and then downstairs the whole room was taken up by ladders in the same colours as the floor with mirrors between the rungs. it was terrible! the inflatable structures against the wall i really liked though. really the only worthwhile thing for me in the room.

i saw his exhibition at sadie coles in london and again there were a few good pieces and then a bunch of stuff that didn't work at all (for me). but i really liked this, especially the way the sun hit off each plank. there was some weird ceramic pieces hanging behind each that was cool too

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Iliam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Last edited by Iliam on Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iliam

Postby Iliam » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Last edited by Iliam on Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iliam

Postby rublev » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm not sure if it was site specific actually. The piece did sit perfectly below a light source in the room, resting up into an almost loft like space, that allowed for light to come in at various points throughout the day. I understand what you're saying about sculptures themselves being a bit unimaginative and stolid, and perhaps on another day i'd have felt less drawn to them. But i had the gallery to myself and i was surprised at how moving (eeew, sorry) the whole thing was. Maybe the scale and presentation is something that can be appreciated only in person.

I wanna see this before it closes next week in Glasgow:

Hayley Tompkins - digital light pools (in the beautiful common guild gallery)

rublev
Political Editor

Postby JtotheWhat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:47 pm

I've always loved Dave Kinsey...

And I grew up a skate-rat so I love Ben Horton, not sure how others will feel about him, a couple of my friends who are more into art than I am don't..

JtotheWhat

Postby Iliam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Last edited by Iliam on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iliam

Postby Iliam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 pm

the gallery space looks really nice, much more interesting than the hospital-ness of the standard-issue galleries and museums.

what do you think they do with this sandwich? do they have to remake it everyday?

Iliam

PreviousNext

Return to Care