[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Art

Art

Off topic

Re: Art

Postby dammitmynamedoesntevenfi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I know there's a couple Araki fans on here - here are some (very janky) installation shots of his most recent work 'Love on the Left Eye'. Glad to take some better flicks if there's interest.

The title is a homage to 'Love on the Left Bank' by Ed van der Elsken. Araki's vision in his right eye has been slowly degrading, and as of now, he has lost complete vision in his right eye. As a photographer who's career has spanned over several decades, one could imagine how devastating the loss of sight is. 'Love on the Left Eye' replicates what Araki is now seeing - an unobscured image on the left and black on the right. He uses transparency negatives to create the image, and then uses black ink to destroy the right side.

This process of distorting his own images can be seen throughout his work, for example, his polaroids in which he produces a color print, paints on the image, and then rephotographs it using a polaroid camera. It's also seen in his 'To the Sky' work, where he made silver gelatin prints and used materials such as bleach, acid, and paint to destroy the image. In his images where he using bleach or acid, you can actually see the silver gelatin emulsion being wiped off by Araki.

Also at the show, some pieces from his 'To the Sky' series -

NSFW CLOSE UP~

Also an old piece with Kiko by Araki that I thought y'all would probably like

dammitmynamedoesntevenfi

Postby australia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:26 am

Still looking for wall art, if any one has any random suggestions. Like minimal, ukiyo-e and aboriginal styles. Price tag up to $500.

australia

Postby deadkitty » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:44 pm

photos from Susan Cianciolo's “Though I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but have not Love, I am nothing" ‘Corinthians’

lovely installation

deadkitty

Postby popcorn » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:44 am

One day I googled deconstructivist art and I really liked what these guys are doing.
http://surfaceandsurface.com/2011/11/15 ... lschinsky/

I also applied to Cooper Union, whose engineering building is probably the best example of deconstructivist architecture in Manhattan, despite the building also being their greatest mistake.

popcorn

Postby Suquida » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Found a small, nearly unknown artist that I absolutely *love*

http://www.saatchiart.com/pepijnsimon

Small enough that he actually hosts and shares a lot of his art through imgur:

I wonder what it'd cost to get an original...

Suquida

Postby bels » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am

http://www.saatchiart.com/account/artworks/788545

Between 800 - 8000 dollars I guess.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:24 pm

the stuff of art.

Last edited by pirxthepilot on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:39 pm

pirx how did you tag me without writing my name

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Is it OK to buy art because it would "look good" in your house?

I thought it was Strongly Frowned upon

(also whose? M&S rubble sack?)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:04 am

it would be good because your house seems to have lots of builders' rubble etc lying around. instead of the whole normative muji 'good taste', just leave as is and have one amazing drawing.

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:13 am

Unfortunately I've already had the walls painted white and bought a grey sofa and transparent coffee table

Laminate flooring in next.

Sorry.

I'm hoping that the sterile muji base will be a good place to hang up some banging drawings though.

For the record I don't really consider Muji good taste (whatever that is) I'm just trying to opt out of as many consumerist decisions as possible whilst having my house look uniform/of acceptable quality.

If Muji doesn't have it, I just don't buy it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

What the hell is a consumerist decision? It sounds like an excuse for being bad at choosing wall colours.

Decorate your walls with framed casual suits.

oucho

Postby ramseames » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Bela I think you owe it to yourself to not let "what is the least consumerist thing I could do" be the driving force behind how you decorate (and to some extent, how much you enjoy) the most expensive thing you'll ever own (until you upgrade in 7 years or whatever (or not) )

ramseames

Postby bels » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm great at choosing wall colours. You should come round my mum's. There's a great fuchsia in the kitchen that was all me.

A consumerist decision is any decision about what to buy. If we each have a fixed amount of "decision making energy" (I think this is a real theory? Not sure?) then I'd rather use it on something else. White walls are fine. I enjoy them plenty. I'll probably agonise about what art I hang up or something or what exact shade of laminate flooring to use or maybe I should get real wood or maybe that laminate that has real wood on the top or maybe that vinyl that looks like wood or maybe just carpet or maybe I need a rug and should the laminate be perpendicular to the longest side of the room or parallel or can I afford that poured concrete thing (I can't) etc etc etc.

I'm sure other people can enjoy this kind of thing but I find most of these decisions to just fire up crippling anxiety, indecision and self loathing in me. I could probably manage to pick another colour for the walls (one day) but I'm absolutely not going near furniture in any form because as far as I can tell its just as bad as clothes but 10x as expensive. No thank you.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Gotcha.

When I read "consumerist decision" my first thoughts tend to go more to "consumption is bad" than "consumption is hard".

I definitely subscribe to the idea of the paradox of choice and whatnot

@belarepcomment consumption is just a thing. You can have a consumption problem the same you have a problem with drinking, or golfing, or anything else that requires some level of moderation.

ramseames

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 am

meh

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 am

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:40 pm

what became of the rubble. i'd link to a talk she and i did as part of the biennale but, y'know, REFERENCES

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am

another biennale highlight, by the fantastic artist lee bul. could say a lot more about this but internet millenials (well, ) report that ideas make them 'sorta confused' and that they'd rather talk about how they 'rilly feel'
yeah definitely, during the making of that series we talked a lot about the way organisms like viruses or mold colonise spaces and create juxtapositions. of course you could talk about this in philosophical terms via deleuze etc. or in pure drawing terms look at da vinci's pencil sketches.

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 am

Did you take that last photo with a film camera? It looks like it has the kind of colour cast that makes millennial think of a time of supposed earlier authenticity re: unaltered images etc. I think the colour cast would probably be a bit less white though if you had.

I was thinking about this a bit more trying to reconcile the fact that I think some references are fine and dandy whilst others make me want to put my head in a sack. Unfortunately most of my examples are fashion based but I do think fashion is one of the worst places for references.

I feel a "reference" like that Uniqlo x Lemaire one is the worst as I can't see what it changes/adds to the previous iteration other than boring conversations about simulacrum. Knowing that it's a reference is the most important thing about its referencing, I think.

A reference like jeff simons making clothes that look like pottery is a bit of a better reference, as it at least makes me think about like, how do you make clothing look like a pot, what would that be like, is clothing like a vessel in the same way a pot is, what would ceramic clothing be like etc

And then I guess the references I like best are the ones that don't really seem to be references, like Last Year At Marienbad being a Reference to Invention of Morel. It seems likely one has something to do with another but knowing that it's a reference isn't super relevant, or super enlightening.

Maybe change the name of this thread to Art And References

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 am

meh

pirxthepilot

Postby germinal » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 pm

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Copeland » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 pm

My friend runs this art blog: http://www.contemporaryartdaily.com/, of which I try to browse often

Copeland

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:27 am

wouldnt happen in milton keynes. or maybe it would

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:10 pm

meh

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 pm

so this is pretty gr8

https://vimeo.com/121820463

pirxthepilot

Postby rublev » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:30 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby pirxthepilot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am

of all the bad things one might remark on in the art world some (relatively) low-level tax avoidance would not be top of my list.

pirxthepilot

Postby rublev » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:56 pm

i'm assuming $4.28 million over that period is small change for the gagosian gallery (??). i'm not surprised, either way.

what would be your list?

rublev
Political Editor

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 am

stuff in plain sight .. for example, a successful 'emerging'/established artist in london is pretty much guaranteed to have been funded to some degree by either the zabludowicz foundation or outset art, probably both. and yet zabludowicz's background/political views are well known

http://www.metamute.org/editorial/artic ... undation-0

while zack gertler, who owns outset, is.. equally problematic.

pirxthepilot

PreviousNext

Return to Care