[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Art

Art

Off topic

Art

Postby smiles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Post art and artists that you are interested in. any medium, any time. all is welcome.

I'll start with some older performance art.

marina abramovic, freeing the memory (1976) Marina attempts to recall every words she knows thus freeing her mind. part of a three part series: freeing the body, freeing the memory, and freeing the voice. After performing these pieces, she felt ready to begin her collaboration with Ulay.

yoko ono, Cut piece (1965)

certainly an flintstone for later performance artists, especially marina. Abramovic's piece Rhythm zero is kind of an extension of yoko's

Chris Burden, Shoot (1971). this dude is crazy

Vito Acconci, undertone (1972). This dude is creepy. In a another work titled seedbed. Acconci hid under the floor of a gallery space and masturbated, his moans and mutterings amplified though a microphone and broadcasted to the audience standing above.

cant figure out youtube embed

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Re: (capital) A – R – T

Postby germinal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:42 pm

youtube embed: the 11-digit code after the equals sign in the url goes between the [youtube] tags

germinal
Garminlad

Postby smiles » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 am

Roman Opałka, who painted from one to infinity beginning in 1965. His final number before he died was 5607249

starting in 1968 he took a photograph of himself each day before painting.

Graham Harwood, London.pl

http://ojs.gc.cuny.edu/index.php/VPP/ar ... /1137/1238
a perl script to:
# Find and calculate the gross lung-capacity of the children screaming from 1792 to the present
# calculate the air displacement needed to represent the public scream
# set PublicAddressSystem intance and transmit the output.
# to do this we approximate that there are 7452520 or so faces that live in the charter'd streets of London.
# Found near where the charter'd Thames does flow.

Heath bunting, communication creates conflict (1995)
users submit phrases which are then printing onto cards and passed out in the tokyo subway station

http://www.irational.org/cybercafe/toky ... let-e.html

people of japan! last nigh I saw a japanese film in Slovenia, Vuk x 250 (vuk cosic, another prominent net.art artist)

Your eyes. Your hands. The way you move your feet.
It's always so nice to see you. To hear your voice. To smell your hair.
Trust me.x 1

ren hang, untitled, 2011
contemporary chinese photographer

photo from larry clark's tulsa

Masao Tsuruoka, heavy hands (1949)

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby germinal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 am

my favourite thing aboutvthe Roman Opalka canvasses is how with each new canvas he would lighten the background a shade, so that over time the contrast between the numbers and the background would decrease, as if they were slowly fading away. a really beautiful measure of time and life and mortality contained in the canvasses

germinal
Garminlad

Postby smiles » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:59 am

ah yeah. Wonder what he was thinking when he started this? I reckon around the time he started changing the background he must have figured out his purpose.

the whole thing seems rather depressing, all he did was paint numbers until he died.

on the other hand, he has quite a concrete legacy. People can look at all his paintings and see that he painted up to 5607249. His life has a number and his value is not abstract like other artists. He doesnt have to prove his importance because its there for everyone to see. The pictures also help to prove the magnitude of it all.

cant really express exactly what i mean. i guess it would be "from 1965 to 2011 roman opalka painted from 1 to 5607249 and no one will ever do the same again"

combines two things i like: rules/restrictions and exploration of time

edit: maybe meaning through magnitude or meaning derived from repetition

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby bels » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:56 am

I wanna talk about the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham

http://www.ikon-gallery.co.uk/

It's an old school house in the "rejuvenated" centre of Birmingham. In the canals district which has been yuppified. I've been going there for years, since I was a teenager. There's no permanent collection so it's always something different every three months and I really like things like that. Places where you can go without any expectations and see something you've probably not seen before.

It was the place where I found the work of :

which I think ended up influencing a lot of the photography I did for a while.

I also once went there and saw the work of

She had painted this room with chocolate and it was midsummer, so the chocolate was rotting. It gave off an overpowering sweet smell. Her whole exhibition had a lot of things rotting in it. Looking it up it sounds like someone else has done this chocolate wall painting before but I didn't know that. I don't have a huge opinion on the art itself but I love the fact that there's a place I can go, and I don't necessarily know what's going to be there, but I can go there and experience a room of rotting chocolate. That's an experience that I'd never get anywhere else.

I think my favourite thing they did was they build a small indonesian tea room inside one of the exhibition halls. You could go there and they had a free jukebox and all you could drink green tea. I can't find anything to do with it online but it was amazing.

Most recently I saw this video exhibition and I thought it was really funny. There's some hits on my instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/dGzMuxDaz9/

http://instagram.com/p/c1YItODa2c/

And just as a finisher, also from my instagram, they have a cool lift:

http://instagram.com/p/c1ZjDbDa4e/

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:28 am

Syeknom

Postby smiles » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:08 pm

that chocolate room is awesome.

thanks for contributing (smiling)

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 pm

wu guangzhong, home of man (1999)

song dong, breathing, 1996
on new years eve, song dong breathed onto tiananmen square for 40 minutes creating a thin layer of ice.

yayoi kusama creepy phallus things, probably 1960s

to be filed under things that make you uncomfortable.

chen zhou, character c, installation and performance (2012)
i quite like his mutated furniture

chow chun fai, Infernal Affairs, "I want my identity back" (2007)

choi xoo ang, flying hands

extremely creepy sculptures by this guy

tang kwok hin, One day perhaps there's discovery of that unbeauty | 一天或許會發現這原來不怎麼美麗 , multi channel video installation (2013)

Six kinds of behavior:
1. For pursuit of loneliness and melancholy, is that qualified if I never smoke? Image
2. Facing the wall with no purpose, there’s no single word which can represent except a song. Image
3. As the heart cannot slightly take a rest. Haven’t heard that we need 7 hours to sleep a day? Then I wake up every half an hour. Image
4. To grasp a handful of temperature, though it still drops abruptly. Image
5. Remove the black dot okay? Image
6. Without food for two days, I feel like vomiting however. Image

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:00 am

i like kazimir malevich i want these two tattood on me.

JonjoShelvey

Postby can- » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:18 pm

can-

Postby sunblam » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Hello hello! I have been really enjoying these works recently.

"On the Wall -- Guangzhou (3)," Weng Fen (2002).

"Bound/Unbound Series," Lin Tianmiao (1996).

"Kiss," Joey Leung Ka-yin (2012).

"Land of Elephants," Joey Leung Ka-yin (2012).
Joey Leung is my new baby favorite, and kind of reminds me of Matisse at times, so...

"Female Nude," Henri Matisse (1907).

"Male Model," Henri Matisse (c. 1900).

Okok that is probably enough. I feel myself really enjoying this thread in the future (as well as now).

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby smiles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 am

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby charybdis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 am

I think I've said this before, but I'm super enamored with Munch's Puberty.

But I guess I just like paintings with a visceral feel like is Caravaggio of Judith Beheading Holferenes.

Or this one by Artemisia Gentileschi.

I saw this photograph by Michael Marcelle in the New Yorker and for some reason the gold watch bands are my favorite part.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sknss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:05 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 am

long new yorker profile of art dealer david zwirner and a general overview of the increasing value of art. i'm not going to post the whole thing because it is 11 pages long.

if you hadn't heard, a painting by francis bacon recently sold for $140 million+ at auction, which is a new record.

it's not mentioned in this cnn article, but apparently the buyer was qatari royal.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby Syeknom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 pm

tumblr gif lower-case a-r-t

Syeknom

Postby charybdis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm

I like gif art.

charybdis

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I wish I knew someone who could do this. Katy and I would like it for our project.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby charybdis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:23 pm

I think you could probably easily hire any of the above people.

charybdis

Postby szy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:44 am

"Passengers" is the result of an observation Dagmar Keller and Martin Wittwer made at night at a bus station while travelling through Poland.
For a moment, the passengers on an old bus, obscured behind stained, ice-covered windows, in the pale light of the bus station had
the appearance of figures in a painting. Travellers, fallen out of time. Tired, lost in thought, their faces drawn by sadness or flaxy up with joy
– so close and yet distanced behind the glass. Dagmar Keller and Martin Wittwer have preserved those quiet, fleeting moments in their series “Passengers”.

Here are just a few:

Here's a link to the artist's page ,
and here's the rest of the series .

szy

Postby sunblam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 am

Chen Qiulin, "Related" (2004). Common surnames in tofu.

From "Walking the Cabbage Roaming Diary," Han Bing (2000-).

I have been greatly enjoying these artists lately.

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby germinal » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby szy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 am

Here's what I think about this germ:

szy

Postby exprof » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 pm

exprof

Postby ddd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 pm

franz von stuck

reminded of this when i saw the beheading of holofernes posted by dwindles

ddd

Postby sunblam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:21 am

"Harp," Yin Xiuzhen (1995).

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby germinal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby areo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm

^ nice! Thierry de Duve wrote a good essay about Kant & Minimalism which used Morris' Corner Piece as it's main example; I can't find the essay online but he seems to have done a lecture with the same title that's available to view here and should be fun to watch -
http://vimeo.com/74882092

areo

Next

Return to Care