[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Art

Art

Off topic

Re: (capital) A – R – T

Postby rjbman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: mirrors, I don't think it's a post-selfie thing. The exhibit I went to had plenty of mirrors that were pre-21st century. I don't claim to have a good concept of art but I'd like to think it has to do with the introspective thoughts people tend to have upon seeing themselves. blah blah something about artists trying to show an insight into viewers' inner self, and mirrors being an easy way of accomplishing that.

I want to make an exhibit of polaroids consisting of people seeing candid pictures of them and their reactions, because I think that that first moment of seeing yourself in a new way would be really intriguing.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby stappard_ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:20 am

stappard_

Postby chadnik » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

makes some incredible wearable art centered around gesture. They've got a strong flavor of masochism and constraint—I can't imagine actually wearing these for any extended length of time. I like how the cyborg aesthetic collides with the gestures the pieces force in her "Ornamental Hands" series—very mannered sorts of positions like you might see in classical Greek sculpture (first three photos). Her "Unguarded Gestures" series (last two photos) does something of the opposite, by taking everyday casual gestures and snapping them into rigid position.

chadnik

Postby rublev » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby MxmHrpr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 am

MxmHrpr

Postby exprof » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:12 pm

exprof

Postby deadkitty » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 pm

deadkitty

Postby rublev » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby rublev » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby Syeknom » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Syeknom

Postby rublev » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:09 am

Brussels has a really good art scene. When i was there last i spent most of my time just visiting as many galleries as possible.

A few more articles if anyone is interested are and

A few things i've been into lately;

Jessica Stockholder. These are like my dream sculptures... wish i could see them irl

also really into Rachel Whiteread...

Image Image

love the resin colour tinted doors

and this piece... all this colour is in pretty stark contrast to what she's known for (negative space casting in concrete and plaster etc)

rublev
Political Editor

Postby smiles » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:47 am

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby exprof » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Obsessed with Francis Bacon rugs

@_@

warning extra large pictures after spoiler

exprof

Postby smiles » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby rublev » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby blanket » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 am

El Lissitzky makes a children's book - russian avant garde for kids. The Tate publishes an english translation.

About Two Squares / El Lissitzky

I love this page
Do not read / take / paper --- fold / columns --- colour / blocks --- build

rest in spoiler

blanket

Postby smiles » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 am

Is art history global? edited by James Elkins is blowing my mind right now.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 am

well there's not really a main thesis. It's more of an investigation about how/if art history can be made into a global discipline and what it would look like. Right now, art history is essentially a western idea that requires scholars in non-western places to conform to specific methodological approaches if they want to be considered art historians. Obviously not as true as it once was the the fundamentals are still there. The discipline has gotten more expansive but also more intensive on a specific canon. To make Art history global (assuming it can be) some people want to take a theoretical/phenomenological approach to talking about 'art' as it can apply to any context with ideas like 'space' or 'idol' or 'ritual' or 'planar' and some want to take an essentially postcolonial context driven approach w/r/t methodologies and how 'art' is understood. Others think art history may be absorbed by visual studies.

some stats i found interesting

most frequently cited artists in bibliography of history of art (1957-2007)
1. Picasso - 757
2. Durer - 616
3. Rubens 600
4. Michelangelo 537
5. Leonardo 526
6. Raphael - 460
7. Rembrandt - 442
8. Titian - 418
9. Goya - 391
10. Palladio 377

Or the other way:
Artists who were cited once : c. 10,000
cited twice c. 5,000
cited three times c 1,400
cited four times 1,105
cited five times 715

One of the main things I've come to understand is the essential factor of access to sources and information. Where I'm working now arguably has the largest collection of books/ephemera on Asian art in the world and the books we have now simply aren't accessible in other places. Some people come all the way from America just for a document we have. Also sources not in English can really impede research. The spread of google books and other online resources will certainly change how people write about art.

Personally, In terms of me being smart about my learning, I should get on global modernisms and learn arabic in addition to french and chinese, which is what I'm planning on doing. The field is heading that way.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 am

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:25 am

I should stop arguing with people on facebook about abstract expressionism. I don't know that much about art, but I do hate when people mock Mark Rothko for "just painting rectangles" or people complaining about Rothko paintings auctioning for 80 million plus. I think people don't understand that a painting doesn't gain value based on how great or complex it is. Paintings gain value based on their significance and importance to the era of painting they were in. This is just my (probably naive) opinion though

But back on topic, I want to see a Rothko painting in person so much. I think me and my bro, who's really into art and knows way more than I do, are gonna go to the Rothko Chapel eventually.

http://i.imgur.com/OZjkV61.jpg (didn't use bbc code because I wanted you guys to see the highest res pic possible)

BIGBEE

Postby ramseames » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:45 am

Francisco Goya

ramseames

Postby smiles » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 am

rothko is worth $80 million mostly because of speculation but also because of his intrinsic value. aside from a lucky few most artists will be 'hot' for about 18 months while the prices get speculated up so some people can flip them. If an artist is good they'll probably get collected and their value will stabilize. not so good artists will start to lose value again.

that's basically what i understand. I'm not that informed about the market though.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby rublev » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:31 pm

my friend, at work in her studio

pirxthepilot

Postby sknss » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:21 am

What is your friend doing

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby schiaparelli » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:57 pm

. wait and watch for a while, it's very enjoyable.

schiaparelli

Postby rublev » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Last edited by rublev on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby station » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:39 am

I've had a soft spot for ceramics ever since I took a class in high school of it.

Ito Sekisui V

Sakai Hiroshi

Kato Tsubusa

station

Postby rublev » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:53 pm

boy i love ceramics! this is one of my fave books. i got it last christmas and still look at it a lot... big heavy hardback with good paper, lovely photos and information on each pot... i would love to go to some classes

what could be better than a reference book of pots

maybe someone to share it with :(

rublev
Political Editor

Postby sknss » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:04 pm

raf simons sold his personal porcelain collection last december viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61&p=10430&hilit=piasa#p10430
and i went to the auction. sadly raf wasn't there but i got this book

roger capron, pol chambost, george jouve, jacques blin...

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

PreviousNext

Return to Care