[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Art

Art

Off topic

Re: Art

Postby anshin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:09 pm

hmm maybe exploitative was the wrong word i did read that article posted a page back and found it interesting. still there is something about rafman's tone or 'aesthethic' that i find off putting, and not just in the intentional way he tries to gross you out like with still-life betamale. i think i prefer ryan trecartin(im not sure if a comparison can be drawn there but it seems like they sometimes hit on similar themes.) i've noticed i tend to dislike a lot of art about the internet/uses the internet as a medium. might have to do with my self-hatred about using the internet too much or maybe im on to something idk. serial experiments lain is still the best i've seen and that was made in '98 lol.

here i will leave u guys with this:

i love weerasethakul hes the most compassionate filmmaker out there imo. his installation work looks interesting too

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

Postby nope » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:05 am

nope

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:56 am

youre in the 'pool right? did you have any thoughts on the biennale?
also i will prob come up for this
also why does a flat white cost £3 in liverpool

http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/events/view/events/3493

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:03 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 pm

the Rondinone is so good, i saw an early cut on a single screen and liked it but in an installation like that it's amazing. i also think you'd really like the cameron jamie and kahlil joseph/kendrick lamar pieces. but honestly i think there are very few misses in the whole show.
all i tend to get is thoughts of art world 'professionals' (lol) so would be interested to hear feedback from you (or anyone else) not just about the work but also venue, installation etc.

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby exprof » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:28 pm

etc. any books/recommendations on where to start learning about non-western art? esp contemporary stuff?

exprof

Postby pirxthepilot » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:22 am

i get that you're prob just looking for an entry point but this is such a broad question it's really hard to approach it, particularly with contemporary art as everything is so intermingled. for example i was in manila recently- i knew nothing about the arts scene there- and all the artists i met were strongly influenced by western conceptualism. the reason was that imelda marcos didn't just love to shop, she was also a huge proponent of visual arts and endowed museums, art schools etc. so just ended up having loads of conversations about duchamp or whatever.
(as a broader starting point dunno if you've read this but i often find myself coming back to the questions he raises:
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/filmphil ... kofart.pdf)
also, have you seen marker/resnais' 'les statues meurent aussi' ? (its on youtube)

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:07 am

do you know if metahaven have a conventional/commercial strand to their design practice? i visited them last time i was in amsterdam, wanted to ask how they fund their publishing/pay the bills but those conversations can be awkward

pirxthepilot

Postby rublev » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:35 am

thanks! i think the way 'conceptual' artists (i mean ones with no commodity to sell) navigate the spaces of capitalism is really interesting. obviously a design-based practice could enclose commercial aspects.
also as your quotes imply, the netherlands govt are very good at supporting artists. i always like visiting amsterdam cos its like a happy little theme park, given the above and the fact they're not crushed by rents etc.

pirxthepilot

Postby rjbman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:07 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 am

last chance to see the infinite mix show, closes after the weekend. bet most of u teens didnt even go. i should've told you it was an our legacy sample sale

http://www.theinfinitemix.com/

pirxthepilot

Postby rublev » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 pm

prob won't see the turner prize before it closes but i like helen marten

rublev
Political Editor

Postby sunblam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:42 am

Hello friends! I have returned to my favorite thread, with some lovely Ren Hang nudie pics!

NSFW and thus below the cut

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:11 pm

etc etc

kind of annoying that amalia is a massively hyped artist based on scripts that read like way more boring version of subtle pirx brags (although i keep telling people that the boredom aspect is important). would be interested in any teen critiques of film/semiotics/ etc. after all this is basically the care tags uber-narrative

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vox ... app8U/edit

pirxthepilot

Postby rublev » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:53 pm

odd

rublev
Political Editor

Postby smiles » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 pm

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:21 am

um, i'm no great fan of her work but you seem to be trying to re-cast it in the mould of low-grade didacticism, and for all its faults it deserves better than that.. (incidentally this viewpoint, because it is itself so banal in this context, will always turn everything into a species of middlebrow, see walrus-moustached c19th critics considering madame bovary as some kind of flawed sociological treatise to give a random example).
as for 'where those desires originate', what does this even mean? you don't need to read lacan to grasp that desire is always elusive, just watch a decent movie.
tl;dr art, even mediocre art, isn't some earnest teen social critique, the longing is way more interesting, and she's real artist enough to understand that at least?

Last edited by pirxthepilot on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 am

If it's not attacking that lifestyle then what is it doing? I don't think you can shrug that off so easily. Maybe it's trying to do something extra on top but that doesn't remove the teen level social critique.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:27 am

of course everything exists within a culture but to take it as a one-note critique is the most middlebrow reading possible. (same for affirmation of that culture obviously, hence the idiocy of the article rublev linked: as if soviet propaganda didn't contribute a huge amount to the history of art/design, i discussed exactly this with metahaven when we met).
the form itself always contains more possibilities.. its up to you to open them up.. kinda disappointed as you were the first person that came to mind when she mentionied come shot on muji notebook

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:50 am

I can understand there's "more to it" than social critique and am personally not saying it's "bad" because of the weak social critique. ( I didn't actually think of it at all until miles pointed it out ). But why does that mean the social critique doesn't count? It's 'missing the point' ?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

I wonder if she made her flight

vgtbls

Postby bels » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm

On the bus to the most recent regional art opening I went to I sat next to someone who said that vapourwave is for people with fine art degrees and sea punk is for graphic designers. Then he took a swig from his water bottle which was a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi Max with a crumpled sticker.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby saptapadi » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 pm

seapunk is for preteens in 2012

saptapadi

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:55 pm

letting u teens in on a hi-lvl curatorial discussion: is this specifically intended to be impenetrable/really fucking annoying?

http://www.condocomplex.org/

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:05 pm

meh

pirxthepilot

Postby BobbyZamora » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 pm

the very idea of highbrow/lowbrow/middlebrow being a relevant or important concept misses the point of contemporary art entirely.

whenever I see people talk about art like that I just can't help but feel like they didn't pay attention to any of the most famous pieces of contemporary art from the past 100 years, their original goal was to make this point in the first place and yet here we are in 2017 where people have subdivided art in to different levels of class and taste

like, did the urinal not get the message across to you?

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 pm

on that note: bottle rack at ropac paris. of course this would've been one of the most humble/utilitarian objects imaginable.

pirxthepilot

PreviousNext

Return to Care