[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Veganarchism

Veganarchism

Off topic

Re: Veganarchism

Postby sknss » Sun May 10, 2015 4:24 am

Guys I think I defeated the green monster. I can drink spirulina in a glass of grapefruit juice!! Also I now use a little whisk to mix it into the drink (impossible to do with a spoon). Grapefruit juice is strong enough that it almost completely masks the taste.
:sweg:

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby exprof » Sun May 10, 2015 11:47 am

ive only eaten falafels for lunch this week
send help

exprof

Postby JonjoShelvey » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am

for all yall trying to get 150+ grams of bean energy per day with a veg diet, look into seitan. very similar to chicken breast in bean energy and calories per gram.

JonjoShelvey

Postby longjumps » Mon May 11, 2015 12:55 pm

tried ethiopian food for the first time yesterday! there were some really great vegan options- I had mesir wot and atkilt wot.

plus you get to eat with your hands (how cool is that)

longjumps

Postby thephfactor » Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Only ate meat twice since January when I made my first post in this thread. The first was when my uncle took me out to dinner a few days in and I was too embarrassed to say anything. The second was during an Islam appreciation event at my school and was a deliberate choice, felt it was important in the context. Other than that no animal flesh has passed through this boy's intestines! Thanks for a cool thread!

thephfactor

Postby LelandJ » Wed May 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Got more dislikes than likes but I agree with her:

Haven't had any Pacific tuna since March 2011 since they're all contaminated by Fukushima radiation, don't even eat salmon anymore to be safe.

Some of my favorite meats: heritage chicken, heritage turkey, wild turkey, wild pig, wild elk, quail and grass-fed lamb.

LelandJ

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 3:01 am

LelandJ

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 5:45 am

LelandJ

Postby maj » Thu May 21, 2015 6:39 am

How do you kill them? Is it the usual shot to the head.

To myself killing anything to me is weird, I just wouldn't do it and it's why I try to avoid stuff which does. To me killing stuff itself is inhumane, I don't need to do it and if that means sacrificing a few inches of height or a bit of maximum strength so be it, I sit at a desk all day. Then again I was raised in a town environment, my country side of the family are all for it nature managements I've seen and studied are all for it for it which are the two sides of environmental approaches I see. Vegans vs sustainable management essentially. I'm totally against mass produced/industrial meat any form any reason but although I wouldn't eat it, partake of endorse it, have a *sympathetic* view towards the hunting/ management side.

What's your view on the documented health gains to avoiding meats in the long term?

Quite interested as The argument I see for the eating of wild meat is usually that it's inline with primitive man and that's when we developed the most/ fastest. But to someone who lives now the advantages seem somewhat marginal compared to that of the benefits plant based offers, smoother digestion, less chance of severe illnesses in later life and generally working better within large populations without material and monetary subsidies (ignoring the fact the best thing for the world is all humans disappear which is absolute) in the broadest terms. My partner is a biologist who looks into the health benefits of diet and foods and was indifferent about eating meat until she saw what it does in the long term and now has moved to a "reducatarian" approach, constantly battling not over "meat tastes so fucking good" vs "it's so horrid to my health".

I'm just not sure what to believe on the argument front, although lean to plants r gr8 for me personally and I just don't want to kill anything ever as much I can do within my control.

maj

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu May 21, 2015 7:33 am

Leland, do you only eat wild meat?

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Of course it's extremely bad for health to eat industrial meat, but to assume the same for non-industrial is false.

Put chickens upside down in a chicken cone, hold the head, and slice the main artery to let the blood drain out. Have to be careful not to cut the trachea as well or it'll choke on its own blood and start convulsing in the cone. Bullet to the goat's head, out instantly.

I listed the meats I eat above. I've abstained from all grass-fed beef since Fukushima since they bioaccumulated the fallout in northern California. Should be safe to eat now though and only been eating grass-fed lamb since 2014.

LelandJ

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 pm

LelandJ

Postby ramseames » Thu May 21, 2015 3:02 pm

ramseames

Postby thephfactor » Thu May 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Unless eating grass-fed lambs makes one effectively immortal, as maj said, I don't see a compelling enough reason to eat meat even if it is better for you. Which I guess I haven't been convinced of and will have to do more research on.

thephfactor

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 4:57 pm

LelandJ

Postby LelandJ » Thu May 21, 2015 5:40 pm

LelandJ

Postby thephfactor » Thu May 21, 2015 5:51 pm

I didn't say everything natural was unethical. I'm saying not every natural thing is ethical, so the natural-ness of something shouldn't necessarily be a factor when it comes to personal ethics.

And there are many reasons someone would desire to "deny nature". I think fashion is probably a denial of nature.

thephfactor

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri May 22, 2015 1:29 am

Can this not be the debate a veg thread??? These arguments are extremely boring.

Anyway I've been making a lot of seitan lately (all u need is flower and water it's so cheap) and I've screwed something up every time but I think I'm getting there. Seitan + spinach stir fry is the best thing in the world I eat it 1-2x a day. Easy to eat extremely spinach at once too cuz of how much it cooks down.

Any of yall have an everyday meal? Or a staple meal for when you don't wanna think about cooking?

JonjoShelvey

Postby sknss » Fri May 22, 2015 3:59 am

I hope we can avoid the natural/unnatural debate too. The vegan diet has been recognized as healthy and it works for me. Thats all i need. If you think eating meat is essential for your health leland then whatever works for you. No one is a dietetician here. I think avoiding factory farming is already a step in the right direction.

Jonjo, do you use gluten or just regular flour? I want to try making seitan too. Ive had it several times in a restaurant and it was always delicious.

My lazy meals:
Baked potato chips in the oven with some green salad
Open a can of beans, rinse and pour over rice
Salad with couscous and whatever veg (fresh or from a tin)
Bread/fresh veg and hummus
Pasta with tomato sauce and basil, bonus vegetables if im not too lazy

sknss

Postby bels » Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 am

fuck it's 9.30 and now I really want doritos and sour cream

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 am

Nothing can beat

Curry microwave rice
Tin of baked beans
Knob of vegan spread
Handful of sultanas

So greasy, so shitty, so cheap, sooooooo good!

maj

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri May 22, 2015 1:37 pm

JonjoShelvey

Postby deadkitty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 pm

eating veg is so cheap i love it

deadkitty

Postby vgtbls » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 am

https://thenib.com/longstreet-farm-1425a983fb1c

Here's a really good comic by Mike Dawson.

Baby steps for me because I'm a poor planner, but the vegan option at Chipotle is really amazing.

vgtbls

Postby parastexis » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

confession time. i ate meat for the first time in 6 years last month, due to an unprecedented combination of being drunk and not speaking hungarian. as penance i'm going vegan for a couple months

parastexis

Postby sknss » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:52 am

To be honest my holidays in budapest were one of the things that made me want to go vegan. So much meat everywhere. If you can you should go to Napfenyes Etterem (thanks ). We had some delicious food there.
Also happycow.com is a good website to find veg restaurants.

sknss

Postby Syeknom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:04 am

Happycow is a life saver in Paris - walking into a random restaurant and expecting to find a decent meat-free option is fairly optimistic. So many good veggie places here though!

I want to go back to Budapest

Syeknom

Postby Northwest » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49 am

Only recently started down the veggie transition and trying to eat vegan whenever I go out to eat. Thankfully Seattle makes this easy, and there's a great indian/nepalese/tibetan place with excellent meals.

Anyone have favorite combinations when it comes to veggie/vegan stew + rice combos? My favorite thus far has been a cauliflower, snow peas, potatoes, and curry dish.

Northwest

Postby bels » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Sweet potato x chickpea + cous cous + plain yogurt. (remove yogurt for vegan)

bels
Yung Winona

PreviousNext

Return to Care