[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Veganarchism

Veganarchism

Off topic

Re: Veganarchism

Postby longjumps » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 am

longjumps

Postby Northwest » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 pm

I know there are many alternatives to nuts, but if I am starting the process of going vegan and I have a peanut allergy does anyone have suggestions about food that packs well? I often pack myself lunches if I will be in the city anyway because finding safe, tasty, and affordable places to eat doesn't often work out.

Northwest

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 pm

ramseames

Postby thephfactor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm

bc "what's good for humanity" is nothing but the gross amount of food we produce and sheer acreage of farmland we use, land that is not producing food for humans is wasted, there is a problem of food supply and not food distribution in the world, and "what's good for humanity" should dictate our treatment of other beings on earth and the land itself ... [thinking emoji][thinking emoji][thinking emoji]

luv the editors note on this piece: "An earlier version of this story was published with the headline, “Being vegan isn’t as environmentally friendly as you think.” The headline and descriptions of sustainability were changed to more accurately reflect the research described in the story, which focuses on using land efficiently to feed more people, not protecting the environment." Ha ha.

thephfactor

Postby thephfactor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:20 pm

thephfactor

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:32 pm

People have different reasons for wanting to eat no/limited meat and animal products, many of which are unrelated to their personal ethical beliefs

"eating purely vegan is a less effective use of available farmland than some omnivorous diets" would probably be of interest to anyone choosing their diet for reasons related to conservationism/environmental impacts

ramseames

Postby thephfactor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:39 pm

thephfactor

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:53 pm

ramseames

Postby thephfactor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:06 pm

thephfactor

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm not coming into the thread "to convince people of the benefits of eating meat". I posted an article that relates to the subject of the thread and you dismissed it with what is essentially a no true Scotsman fallacy about how all vegetarians and vegans think meat is murder.

Petending that there aren't environmentally focused vegans/vegetarians that don't have ethical qualms with meat itself but thinks that its production is generally worse for the planet than plant based food, doesn't cause those people not to exist.

ramseames

Postby parastexis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:22 am

parastexis

Postby ramseames » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:13 am

I never stated an opinion on anything.

I feel like I'm going insane saying "some people might have different reasons for why they do things" and then having people act like that's an absurd statement.

Dietary veganism isn't a thing, apparently.

ramseames

Postby vgtbls » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:13 pm

It's an interesting study, and I think it's well reasoned for what it assumes. Anyone interested in actually feeding more people would do better studying food waste.

I hate that the articles about the study equate land utility with calorie production. Unused land filters our water, protects our homes, filters the air, and protects biodiversity.

Also the article made zero mention of animal waste products. Manure, methane, antibiotic-resistant pathogens, agricultural runoff, the list goes on.

vgtbls

Postby sknss » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:25 am

so vegan i've got a tofu shelf

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby jujumaster » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Why dont we build gardens upwards?

jujumaster

Postby sagc » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:26 pm

sagc

Postby sknss » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 am

sknss

Postby plaidappendix » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 am

Hello

Currently in the process of becoming a vegetarian, with the end goal of becoming vegan.

Right now the plan is to just cut out meat, and get used to that, and probably be done with animal products by the summer/beginning of college.

Any tips from experienced users?

plaidappendix

Postby sknss » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:27 pm

Awesome! Right now you're probably thinking "what am i going to eat?". Just to give you an idea, my meals usually revolve around grains (rice, pasta, couscous etc) or potatoes, then legumes (beans, lentils, tofu etc), and vegetables. Breakfast is easily sorted. Personally I have porridge with some kind of nut butter, flax seeds and a piece of fruit. You could also do cereal with a plant milk - on this topic, I recommend trying all plant milks, and then trying them again later if you don't like one of them. Your palate will adjust during this transition period. You can also do avocado toast, smoothies, tofu scrambles...

I flood the food thread with my pictures so that could give you some flintstone. When eating out, you'll almost always find something to eat at lebanese restaurants( falafel and houmous), indian restaurants, chinese restaurants, and italian restaurants.

If I had only one piece of advice to give, I'd say have fun and don't be afraid to try new things. And if you slip up, don't beat yourself up. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

sknss

Postby maj » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:44 pm

I recommend always keeping snacks on you when you're starting out, if you get hungry you're more thank likely to reach for meat based snacks intentionally/ unintentionally and it helps alleviate that. Even now when I'm at work and not hada break in a while I feel like I could smash some pork crackling, but when I eat it all goes away.

I'd also stay away from cooking shows as they're rather seducing in the way they present meat, even now it gets me hot under the collar.

Interact with all the animals you see either physically or mentally no matter the size, I find it really helps me remember the main reason I don't eat animal stuff.

Watch documentaries which focus not just on animal welfare issues but generally the meat industry and such as it can give you more motivation

And as Lou said don't beat yourself up if you slip up, it's not about being perfect it's about being conscious.

maj

Postby surfdude69 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:06 am

i've been vegan for around 6 months now. constantly struggled with my weight for the bulk of my life, but the weight has been dropping off me even though i'm eating a lot more than when i consumed dairy & meat. my mum has also made the change, her boyfriend has gone veggie, my sister is starting to phase meat out. i went vegan because i started to see how my beloved dog isn't any different to a cow or a pig, and neither is a human. it really annoys me how someone can say they love animals and still support such a horrible industry, or how anyone can call themselves a feminist and still drink cows milk.
my girlfriend and i cook up all sorts of delicious meals, moreso than when i ate meat. i'll post some recipes we make if anyone's interested. here's a lil recipe for a roasted potato kind of thing i eat with rice and chilli;

- dice however many potatoes you want and a red onion
-put in something like a measuring jug
-pour quite a lot of vegetable oil in
-add shit load of paprika, cayenne pepper, touch of chilli powder and sriracha and of course s&p. you basically want the potatoes to be coated in spices, so just add as much as you think but don't hold back
-OPTIONAL: add chopped rosemary. i really like the taste of rosemary but am not keen of getting it caught in my teeth, sometimes i don't bother
-pour it onto tin foil and wrap it up like a present
-bake in the oven on medium high for around 45 mins/1 hr, you just want them to be soft throughout
-unwrap the tinfoil so it's open, bake for further 20 mins until they've gone a bit crispy

it's a really easy thing to make whilst you're doing stuff. sometimes i put it in the oven then go shopping lol, but you can watch an episode of Dexter or something instead

surfdude69

Postby sknss » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:38 am

Welcome to Veganuary! Grab a pumpkin slice

sknss

Postby cormac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm

It's been a while since I've posted, ct! How are you all?

On January first I quit meat cold turkey. It's been about three years since I was a vegetarian last, and I can tell you I really, really did not eat nutritiously back then. So far It's been easier than I've thought to eat cheaply and nutritiously and veganly. Nowadays I'm reasonably into eating healthily, but I'm not great at cooking and probably have a weird palate.

Can anyone recommend me some basic vegetarian or vegan recipes that are high in bean energy and good for a young person who's new to cooking? I'm trying to hit about 140-160g/day.

cormac

Postby costanza » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

costanza

Postby parastexis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:01 pm

parastexis

Postby Ques » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

food for thought, if you will?

Ques

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

That article made me feel very angry - 'white veganism' sounds racist and I don't believe that the norm is to 'guilt' people of colour into veganism through citing slavery. I do think some vegans feel animal rights is equitable to human rights but I think the sentiment of the piece is to create racial element where there is not one. If you believe that animal slavery is the same as human slavery and are trying to make people understand the point of difference I do not believe you are guilting people of colour into action - you are making a point of ethics that people of all colours can understand. If ANYONE is being 'guilted' it is socially liberal people who believe they do not support slavery.

Veganism, from my own experience as well as many others, is often a cultural journey that explores the benefits of a plant based diet taken from the world's larder. Veganism is a diet (and a dictate of things you buy and wear) - if it 'ignores' racial and gender issues it is because they are not part of its remit. Vegans, however, tend to be (in my experience) some of the most socially progressive and open people in society.

I have so much more to say but I just can't.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sknss » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 am

Carnage is up on BBC iplayer, and it's pretty good!

sknss

Postby sknss » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:19 am

Breaking news: Guinness is now vegan!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... isinglass/

sknss

Postby riley » Sat May 20, 2017 2:15 am

recently went vegan around a week ago and have been enjoying it so far, im curious what changes people here noticed when they first went vegan both physically and mentally!
edit: it was a sudden shift, i gave up both meat and dairy cold turkey as i was never too crazy about meat to begin with and there are lots of dairy alternatives i've been buying and enjoying

riley

PreviousNext

Return to Care