[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Veganarchism

Veganarchism

Off topic

Re: Veganarchism

Postby Cowboy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm

Let's talk about anthropocentrism and how much everyone knows about it

Does anyone know about it?

It is interesting

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocentrism

This'll start you off

I have not much past the layman of it (and how to use it in debate) and I'm just wondering how aware vegans are of the idea and how it affects being vegan

Cowboy

Postby tomsfood » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:52 pm

I haven't eaten meat with the exception of seafood since April. I originally decided I would continue eating seafood because I liked it more even though the same reasons I stopped eating land meat apply to sea meat (reasons being I don't want to kill animals and i like the environment). Lately though I haven't been able to bring myself to eat any seafood, which is g o o d I think.

Overall it's been an extremely easy change. At first I was kind of surprised that not eating meat didn't change my ability to eat delicious food. That was honestly the biggest thing holding me back for a long time in becoming a vegetable, that I liked food too much. Once I realized I can still eat good food it was no longer difficult.

I'm nearly certain that I'm not providing myself with the right nutrition however (i probably didn't even when i ate meat though) and I only expect that to get worse when I go back to school and have to cook/buy all of my own food. Something to work on I suppose.

Big thanks to bobbin, reading some of the things you've written about your choices helped me make up my mind about mine.

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby JonjoShelvey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:06 pm

yo i also havent eaten meat since april! we are veg bros and can celebrate our anniversary together next year

JonjoShelvey

Postby Syeknom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 am

I've never entirely understood why people distinguish between sea-meat and land-meat - "but you still eat fish right?" is the number one thing people ask me when they discover that I'm vegetarian. I don't really understand it but I guess it's a thing.

Syeknom

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:52 am

UnwashedMolasses

Postby sknss » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:21 am

I think for most people it's easier to relate to cute cows and pigs rather than fish. But fish have lives too!

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby thephfactor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 pm

I think it's more about fish being able to feel less or be less aware. That's the rationale I always heard, anyway.

thephfactor

Postby JonjoShelvey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 pm

For me personally, and I know this is horrible rational and I will quit eating fish soon, I don't eat anything I couldn't personally kill. I grew up fishing in Florida so that has desensitized me to dead and dying fish. Typing it out makes me realize exactly how ridiculous this sounds so I won't eat anymore fish now.

JonjoShelvey

Postby CMYK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am

I've been vegetarian for 2 ish months now (One major cheat day). I'm mostly drawn to it for the health benefits, I definitely *feel* healthier, and it causes me to step outside my comfort zone when going out to eat. The ethical stuff is nice, but less of a primary concern for me.

CMYK

Postby brlmski » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:17 am

ive been a vegetarian my entire life and ill never use the ethical argument because there is no ethical consumption under late capitalism.

brlmski

Postby vgtbls » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:37 am

vgtbls

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 am

Has anybody else seen 100% Food? I found it a few days ago and it's an interesting concept. It's a seed-based powder portioned so that three shakes a day fills all nutritional requirements (based on FDA 2000 kcal diet). Flavors come in raw/organic and chocolate.

Ingredients include:

- Organic golden flaxseed
- Hulled hemp seeds
- White hulled sesame seeds
- Brown rice flour
- Lecithin and Dextrose
- Vitamin and Mineral mix
- Premium chocolate mix for flavor (chocolate version only)

Apparently it's not just powder from seeds but there are actual seeds in the drink as well, so I've heard texture can be a difficulty. bean energy can be chosen between soy, whey, and plant. Putting it here because it seems like an easy way to hit the base of dietary needs, which I've heard can be complicated on a vegan diet.

http://www.spacenutrientsstation.com/buy

UnwashedMolasses

Postby bels » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am

Sounds sorta like S O Y L E N T.

Wouldn't mind having one of these fake ass food things around if it was/cheap convenient enough. Could bang one at work for those evenings when you don't have time to eat. Only issues are:

- I don't think you can "bang" a huge thick milkshake
- I assume they give you heinous gas which isn't going to be any use if you need to be around people.

related: this amusing article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03 ... 2_bottles/

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 pm

:|

sknss

Postby parastexis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 pm

parastexis

Postby JonjoShelvey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 pm

JonjoShelvey

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:09 pm

ive also got a fucked up digestive system and spent the better part of highschool drinking ensure/boost/etc and i've gotta say i honestly prefer soylent to them, purely in terms of taste/texture. I think boost/ensure do a better job of looking after micro nutrients and being digestible for people with sensitive digestion whereas I don't think that's even a consideration for soylent. I've never felt full after drinking the medical ones but soylent is like the texture of pancake batter so you actually get full

iirc soylent is supposed to only replace 2 meals a day so it's not really supposed to be a competitor for medical meal-replacement drinks. i think it's not really fair to compare them to each other since they serve different purposes

lol @ this space themed one though what a joke

mc-lunar

Postby Cowboy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:58 am

http://blog.devicerandom.org

Reasonably interesting take on what some have dubbed "000"

Cowboy

Postby sknss » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:39 pm

some stuff to read if you're feeling uninspired in the kitchen

sknss

Postby sknss » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 am

do you guys have any ideas for halloween treats

sknss

Postby bels » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:46 am

It's ok lou, you're in England now. We don't celebrate halloween here.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:42 pm

i don't know. i've been invited to a party. in my own house.

sknss

Postby sknss » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 pm

sknss

Postby radicalbusiness » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:02 am

Back in middle school I was totally obsessed with the skater/artist Ed Templeton. He's been vegan for awhile now and his skate shoes always had fake suede that was actually super durable. Definitely one of the first people I heard of being vegan at all at the time and always thought it was cool he was able to maintain that with his sponsored sneakers. I think he partially inspired me to start experimenting with vegetarianism back then, now it's been since 2014 that I had "land meat"!

These are his Emerica Transit lows I used to have.

radicalbusiness

Postby sknss » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:25 pm

sknss

Postby errantposture » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Does anybody have a recommendation for a vegetarian replacement for a hot dog? Doesn't necessarily have to taste exactly the same just fulfill a similar role(like a black bean burger doesn't really taste like a hamburger, but it's got the same style, that sort of thing)

everything is getting better but everything could be a lot better
errantposture

Postby vgtbls » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 am

I've heard a roasted carrot can be lovely, never had one in that context.

vgtbls

Postby JewTurk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Does anyone here base their diet around non-water intensive crops/foods?

edit:
Almonds/lb are just as if not more water-intensive than beef/lb

I understand that is a singular case, and that animal grazing has other hideous side effects (methane, moral etc) but still. Seems like any kind of production can have some terrible side effects unless its grown for yourself. I'm just wondering if there are diets that focus on avoiding food that is water intensive and I'm having trouble finding stuff online.

JewTurk

Postby sknss » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:25 pm

sknss

PreviousNext

Return to Care