[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Veganarchism

Veganarchism

Off topic

Re: Veganarchism

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:39 am

Disagree that buying old leather is better than new alternatives. I used to think this way and thought it was logical.

If you believe wearing another animals skin is not for you, then the age of that skin doesn't make it okay.

Im kind of over the Jarvis that leather alternatives are terrible for the environment. Some are, loads aren't. Inseminating a cow, rearing it on food (sometimes modified), slaughtering it, cutting it to pieces, tanning (largely extremely harmfully) and sewing bits from lots of other cows together to make shoes (high street to runway tier) is destructive.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know much about leather alternatives, but I will say that of all the animals raised for agricultural purposes, cows are absolutely the worst in terms of the overall environmental impact, the amount of energy required in raising them, how they impact the soils, et cetera.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby thephfactor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks guys.

thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. I am definitely looking to get a 4+ year boot. Was there a report of mistreatment by the company? That would definitely be a concern for me.

I'm not categorically opposed to wearing another animals skin per se, just don't want to contribute to the model that kills them. I mean the reasoning being that if they're already dead, and the money I'm paying for them doesn't go to the company, it doesn't matter much anyhow. However it's a lot more exciting to consider buying a new vegan product, and contributing to a new model altogether rather than just prolong an old one's lifespan. And in the end, I'm making this decision for myself first and foremost, and I guess I am just more comfortable with the idea of wearing something vegan. (smiling)

thephfactor

Postby maj » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:34 pm

the wife recently subscribed to this sort of approach

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-lead ... ess-meat-2

maj

Postby Syeknom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I was consciously living that life - only really eating chicken and infrequently at that (once a week maybe?), plus a couple of meats that were easier to abstract away like salami or whatever. Lived that way for years and felt pretty comfortable with it - the strictness of a proper exclusionary diet didn't appeal (especially as my relationship to decent foods has always been questionable, and I frankly needed the occasional meat to ensure i was getting any goodness whatsoever). I figured that having a low impact as a consumer was already a Good Thing, and it was/is most certainly! However, in the last couple of months I've made a switch to full vegetarianism and the difference in mindset has driven me to much more actively seek out healthier ways of eating (loads more vegetables/fruits/nuts etc). It's turned out to be an immensely relieving resolution to my antagonism towards meat and I'm free of the background discomfort and guilt I had surrounding the issue. In a personal way becoming more exclusionary has been freeing rather than restrictive.

Syeknom

Postby sknss » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:39 am

i'm taking a B12 supplement which makes my wee go neon yellow (a harmless secondary effect). every time i go to the loo i freak out for one second, then i remember i'm not dying.

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby sknss » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 am

veganarchists spotted in Paris
(the skeleton says "eat 5 fruit and vegetables a day")

sknss

Postby bels » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:10 am

http://www.adolfodominguez.com/uk/vegano/

Adolfo Domiguez Vegan ladies collection.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 am

sknss

Postby sknss » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 am

sknss

Postby maj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:57 am

if ur honest with urself, they look better than what most mainstream footwear giants put out

https://etnies.com/shop/vegan/

maj

Postby bels » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:18 pm

are you sure

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:29 pm

these are the true test bela, it's one thing thiking ur better as u hunt obscure brands on ebay and buy vintage. but are u actually willing to buy etnies shoes?

or are you....

a poser????!!!!

maj

Postby bels » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:40 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:42 pm

maj

Postby bels » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Dunno. Suspect might know as she wears slip ons.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Lots of glues aren't vegan but I've read, from the brand directly, that all canvas vans are totally vegan.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sidewalk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:07 pm

polio

Last edited by sidewalk on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewalk

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:25 pm

I think people need to make their own peace with their food choices. Without beating around the bush I now feel that a well treated slave may be a kinder way to keep slaves - but it doesn't make it okay.

I feel like it's clear that half measures are easily forgotten. People are weak willed.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sidewalk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:36 pm

polio

sidewalk

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Being at peace with something is hopefully the opposite of ignorance. If you care at all you'll educate yourself and make a choice - that's what being at peace with a decision is. Lots of people know everything I know about the meat industry and keep on shovelling flesh down their throats. Blissful ignorance is separate entirely.

I would obviously prefer people were ethical - in line with MY ethics but I think it will take time. I really truly believe humankind in the future will look back on how we treated and ate animals the same way we look back at slavery.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sidewalk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:04 pm

polio

sidewalk

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 pm

There's a lot wrong with the world. Saying "yeah but x still happens so let's address that" is a cop out. Everyone can make small decisions and make the world better. I mean, for fucks sake, not wearing and eating animals doesn't diminish your quality of life. I feel like it makes it better - with the added benefit of nothing dying for you.

I don't know what can be done. People could stop philosophising and stop supporting suffering when they next decide they need shoes for one thing.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sidewalk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Stop philosophizing? I don't understand what you mean.

As an aside, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me even though I've been disingenuous and rude in the past. I've missed lots of opportunities to learn from others out of disdain.

sidewalk

Postby sknss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:40 am

sknss

Postby radicalbusiness » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Figured you all may appreciate this. Got to meet probably the most influential food writer of all time last week when he came to my university. He did a roundtable discussion where he addressed questions students had for an hour. I managed to sneak in easily enough since they never actually checked the guest list. While I have a lot of issues with his writings (mostly his failure to address the intersection of economic/class limitations and food choices) it was still really rad to meet him and hear him talk about the US food system and his writings.

radicalbusiness

Postby sknss » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:22 am

sknss

Postby maj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03 am

My uncle owns a home in the avocado capital of the world, he was telling me they have avocado police to stop avocado theft.

maj

Postby bels » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:50 am

Are you an avocando or an avocantdo

bels
Yung Winona

Postby exprof » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 pm

exprof

PreviousNext

Return to Care