[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Veganarchism

Veganarchism

Off topic

Re: Veganarchism

Postby Ques » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 pm

she says she can smell the garlic for days after i eat it in there

now i go out in the hallway and eat it

Ques

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:23 am

Ques, either you're using too much garlic or your roommate hates life.

Maj beans, olive oil, cocunut milk, avocado. There's a hell of a lot of fatty vegan foods.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 am

I thought too much garlic was a one of them hypothetical values

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:00 pm

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby maj » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 am

Got a blender for christmas, you could say it has...

maj

Postby bels » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:03 am

It's the 11th?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:12 am

When your girlfriend lives the other side of the country you get two Christmases, she's cooking the crimbo dinner later, baaaareee veg to be had.

maj

Postby bird.in.flight » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 am

I honestly don't see a lot of the qualms about using animal derived fibres (hides withstanding). I've had family friends who reared sheep and alpaca and hand spun the wool into yarns, and I know there are tons of similarly small & ethical manufacturers for angora yarns (which can be taken from domestic rabbits with no trauma whatsoever) and similar - just look at so many small sellers on etsy. Even Yak yarns, at least from sellers I see, are mostly sourced from north-eastern asia where the fibre is only sourced from the chest of the yak, and the yaks play a central role in the lives of people beyond just providing the yarn, and it means an extra income source for these communities.
I also honestly find a lot of the "slavery" rhetoric quite tiring and a bit callous consider the mutually beneficial relationships a lot of these animals have with their providers and the literal enslavement of human beings that still continues in prison systems, in sex trafficing, etc

bird.in.flight

Postby sknss » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:22 am

i got an avocado for xmas
regular avocado for scale

sknss

Postby thephfactor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Pretty sympathetic to the vegan cause. Never really given my eating habits much thought before, as I've only been responsible for my own meals for a shortish time. I've met a new friend recently who is vegan and discussed it with him, and I guess it's been turning around in my head for a while. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense. maybe influenced by a childhood of losing favorite goats and chickens to the butcher's knife. I've been thinking, since my eating is currently extremely haphazard and unbalanced, and since I've been telling myself I need to put more thought and effort into making regular and balanced meals, I have an opportunity to build a plant-based diet from the ground up. If I make the decision now instead of putting it off until later, I won't have to adjust to a new diet. My number one constraint is just money. Do you guys have any resources/ideas on how to build such a diet on a miniscule budget, with access pretty much only to Walmart and similar places? I know my city is more or less vegan-friendly, but the radius of places I can get to, especially in the winter, is a very tight one.

thephfactor

Postby maj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:21 pm

i buy

7 x tins of chopped tomatoes
7x tins of kidney beans
4x tins of spinach
1-2x bags of brown rice (will do myself, looks like it's worth the higher cost)
1 bag of frozen peas

and it pretty much gives me lunch and dinner guaranteed for £10 a week, cooking the beans, tomatoes and spinach together (add all the seasonings you want) then the rice and the peas. you can also add some veg stock to the bean mix, reduce it down a bit and thicken with flour if you want, tastes great and a thicker sauce great for putting on a baked potato. boring as fuck but it's cheap, filling an cooks easily enough. can always mix it up in the week depends how much flex is in the budget.

Last edited by maj on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maj

Postby bels » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:25 pm

^Could also fuck with brown rice and different types of bean, lentil, chickpea etc.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:28 pm

agreed, all work well, cannellini and haricot beans big rec.

the sauce also adapts well as a pasta sauce if you can find one without egg, i know my gluten/milk/wheat/fun free stuff is egg free.

obligatory carrots/rice cakes/cucumber/nuts/hummus snack rec's, all great, filling and cheap. pumpkin seed the biggest hitter, 40g of bean energy per 100g of seeds, mad filling and cheap.

maj

Postby maj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:38 pm

honestly fuck off , between my stomach issues, increased calorie burning from medical complications, and intolerance's it's hard enough to keep food down let alone put weight on.

i get enough of this shit day to day, i dont want it here too

neg or not prawnzee, bringing up un-provoked weight comments here is really not cool, and they're especially not jokes.

maj

Postby thephfactor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm

At this point in my development I don't really see a problem with humanely-gathered eggs, and if I bought from my parents I would know that about them. I guess eggs in grocery-store items would be obviously less legit...

thephfactor

Postby smiles » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:45 am

Veggies plus rice or lentils plus tofu is getting me enough bean energy right.

Plus eggs and milk too.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby sknss » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:44 am

Warning very scientific chart i got off google img.

Tbh i think there's no reason to worry about bean energy. It's pretty much everywhere.

sknss

Postby bels » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 am

define "enough" bean energy.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 am

enough that there are no negative consequences related to not eating enough bean energy. after seeing sknss chart I reckon i'm fine.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am

Watch 'forks over knives' and stop worrying about bean energy. Eat potatoes with skin on and a varied diet and you'll be fine.

For what its worth I had a blood test after a year of being vegan and I had HIGH levels of bean energy that the Dr. said was inline with a diet that was mostly red meats. I don't eat a salad every meal and I'm by NO means the healthiest of eaters all the time but you wont have trouble with bean energy. If you're still eating eggs and drinking milk then you don't even need to entertain the idea.

I worry about B12 and occasionally pop a pill and drink b12 fortified milk alts, eat nutritional yeast and marmite but for perspective Katy doesn't worry about ANYTHING and she's mega health, sharp brained, and has a good sleeping pattern.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby maj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 pm

thoughts on honey?

maj

Postby sknss » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:45 am

I eat local honey. I found it really hard to get information on honey that wasn't told by super propaganda people which put me off. Maybe I'm playing deaf because i love honey though.

sknss

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 am

The vegan perspective: It isn't ours to take. We have no right to it. It belongs to them.

My perspective: Bees produce a surplus to need, and keepers look after them and provide them with what they need. However, the average worker bee produces about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in their lifetime. Like, holy shit, do I deserve to eat all that hard work when I could have something else?

In short. I'm not totally against it in certain circumstances but I don't see the point when there are other (just as good) alts.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:30 am

Maple Syrup is vegan right?

Shout to Ramseams still eating that maple syrup brother one teaspoon every morning in my morning yogurt

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:01 pm

If animals don't make it, and it's not made of animals, it's vegan. Although it depends how far you go (if maple extraction destroyed animals homes or killed animals in the process for example).

Agave, normal sugar, etc. are all good. I'm by no means an authority but it's literally a case of 'did something get hurt to make this?' type of deal. I happen to think in some cases wool, eggs and a few other things are fine but I doubt any of those present themselves to most people.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 pm

~ :grin: ~

sknss

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Listened to that song like a hundred times now

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby harmsalmon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 pm

finally took the plunge and have eaten completely vegetarian for 2 weeks now. not much to brag about per se but I'm impressed w myself, I honestly thought I could never do it.

harmsalmon

Postby thephfactor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Anyone know anything about Doc Martens' Vegan offerings? Like specifically their Vegan 1460, which lists "Felix Rub Off" as a material? Specifically I'm interested in their durability. Seem to get good reviews on Amazon, and they're under $100 there :3

thephfactor

Postby Iliam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 am

i've had the low vegan docs for 4 years now. they hold up well. the 'leather' looks pretty good/ real, if that's important 2 you.

the creasing and wear on the shoes isn't as 'beautiful' (subjectively defined) as on my very old MIE leather docs. not sure what the leather on the newer docs is like. it could be just as 'un-beautiful' as the vegan 'leather'. i also find that the vegan docs are more sweat-retentive, but that could just be me.

it's worth thinking about why you're buying them. if you're buying the vegan docs for ethical reasons it's (arguably) better to buy second hand docs than buying brand new vegan ones and thereby creating increased demand for shoes that (probably) use environmentally aggressive production processes to create the plastic for the shoes, which will start breaking down in 10^100 years, as well as rewarding doc martens for (probably) exploiting chinese labourers. i.e. if you are buying them as a 'ethical' decision, buying second hand docs from your local second hand store/ ebay seller (whether leather or vegan) is probably 'better'.

i have no idea what 'felix rub off' is.

:geek:

Iliam

PreviousNext

Return to Care