[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Ashitaka, can you save the girl you love?

Ashitaka, can you save the girl you love?

Off topic

Ashitaka, can you save the girl you love?

Postby can- » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:16 pm

can-

Re: Ashitaka, can you save the girl you love?

Postby starfox64 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:27 am

Princess Mononoke was the second DVD I ever bought, back in 7th grade, when I thought collecting dvds was cool (thanks, IGN!).

Spirited Away is a superior movie, though.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby can- » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 am

u cray. spirited away is not a third the movie princess mononoke is

mononoke a fully established narrative that covers greed, love, environmentalism, value

spirited away is a movie about losing track of your parents in disneyworld when ur little

can-

Postby can- » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 am

can-

Postby can- » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:52 am

eat da human

can-

Postby bels » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 am

Been a long time but I recall liking spirited away more than Mononoke too. Mononke's adherence to a more normal narrative, and nature vs humans theme felt like a really good Disney film to me. But Spirited Away felt like something totally different.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:16 am

Mononoke also basically shares a plot/themes with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Though I suppose to a certain extent all Miyazaki films address environmentalism to one degree or another (Spirited Away certainly does, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle to an extent, etc.).

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 am

i loved princess mononoke, but spirited away is the kind of thing that shaped my dreams. i loved it because it was very fuzzily dreamlike and fairytale-like and a lot of explanations for what was going on seemed just a little bit out of reach. hard to describe, but it was kind of like you made a promise with the plot to take some of the little strange things on faith and in return it let you enter this dreamlike state of discovery.

imo it was a much cooler setting because of all the inexplicable weird spirit world bits, and a lot of the scenery was just really beautiful. the train? in the water? easily one of the most beautiful images i've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

schiaparelli

Postby charybdis » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am

I haven't watched princess mononoke but I loved Spirited Away because it scared the shit out of me as a kid and I guess really tapped into a child's thoughts and fears along with being really beautiful, etc like Schia said.

I will admit that the ending was a bit weak IMO. I thought the twins thing was contrived and it was sort of like "whoops, gotta tie everything up."

Am I the only one who really liked Howl's Moving Castle? I thought the book had a better narrative, but that movie turned two old ladies climbing stairs into the greatest action scene ever.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby hooplah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 pm

i loved howl's moving castle

the story is a bit jumbled but it's so fucking beautiful

hooplah

Postby Iliam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Whisper Of The Heart is a great Ghibli movie that no one seems to talk about but that everyone should ~legally~ download and watch. Because it takes place in 'real world' Tokyo, it's not as magical as the standard Ghibli film, but it is more immediately relatable, especially if you're in a bildungsroman stage in your own life (me). As a bookish kid who dreamed of being a writer and had a pet cat, most of my love for this movie is probably just me gratuitously over identifying with/ projecting myself onto protagonist.

It offers some objectively good experiences: people idealising reading, going to libraries, cats, a fondness for the magic of antiques, riding bikes, eating delicious looking japanese meals (this is a ghibli movie after all) and .

It's probably not the 'best' studio ghibli film (although Whisper Of The Heart is so caring and every frame is so beautifully that, as I watch, any ability to be critical about it completely dissolves) but it is the one of my favourites.

Iliam

Postby blanket » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:28 am

#teamspiritedaway

my favourite gif of all time

If you're ever in Japan, it's really worth visiting the ghibli museum, even though you have to book ages in advance. There are very beautiful animation exhibits (large 3D zoetrope!!!) and some exclusive short films. Going in is like walking into a ghibli movie

map

blanket

Postby iwtt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 am

iwtt

Postby chilljin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 am

never been able to get into anime but i've always wanted to give these films ago as people go on about them

i recently watched ghost in a shell?? on netflix and it was pretty cool tho

chilljin

Postby station » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Regardless of which movie is the best by Ghibli, the music throughout all the films is so good! Joe Hisashi is the man.

station

Postby can- » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:19 pm

can-

Postby charybdis » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:12 am

My love for Howl's Moving Castle will not be denied.

Although, I always say that Uchoten Kazoku is what Ghlibi films would be if they didn't cling to being children's movies.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby eufemism » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:02 pm

spirited away creeps me the fuck out.

this had me like wat when i first watched it last year. and some of you watched this as kids??? i mean the art is awesome but what the hell on some of these parts.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby seth83292 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 pm

That thing reminds me so much of koh from a:tla

seth83292

Postby tomsfood » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:40 am

watched totoro over the summer, and have watched spirited away and princess mononoke this week.

holy shit both spirited away and princess mononoke blew me away. i probably liked them equally though i think princess mononoke's story was put together much better. i was struck by how quickly the action started in both movies, quite unlike a lot of films with long buildups/setting the stage periods. also, i drew a ton of similarities between princess mononoke and the lord of the ring trilogy, anyone else get that?

are his films all supposed to be children's movies? i definitely felt like totoro was, spirited away was questionably so, and based on the number of severed body parts i'm going to assume princess mononoke wasn't

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:41 am

this is now a yakul thread

got the movie on blu-ray for christmas. that was a good idea

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby vgtbls » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:22 am

I just (re)watched this, and took use of my printscreen key to get some wallpapers. Figured I'd share! The background art in this movie is so good.

vgtbls

Postby can- » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed but still you find reasons to keep living. [coughing] I'm sorry... I'm making no sense.

can-

Postby jrisk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm

if you get the , you can then download the (not allowed on play store for obvious reasons). I have it set up on my tablet and it blurs the background until you double tap the screen. really cool.

jrisk

Postby can- » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 am

"You cannot alter your fate, my prince. However, you can rise to meet it if you choose."

can-

Postby thephfactor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Just watched this the other day. Absolutely amazing. I wish, harder than I've ever wished for anything, that I had watched these films as a kid.

Yakul was the best. So sad when he got hit with the arrow :'(

thephfactor

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:54 am

(love) this thread. I got my wife a miyizaki/ghibli-themed christmas gift. several prints and a wood panel thing with the ghibli studio logo on it, along with a handful of them on blu-ray. Watching The Wind Rises was brutal. In 2012 I had a false-positive for Hepatitis C, but before the second test's results came back it was a crippling week, but my (at the time qt gf) wife was completely understanding and supportive. So seeing the same kind of love on film.. whew, couldn't stop crying for a while. :')

Also, mad love for Kiki (love)

IsaiahSchafer

Postby Cowboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:36 am

So at some point in my early childhood I caught pieces of Spirited Away, probably on Toonami or something. Anyways it freaked me out and I never forgot that. It was No-Face that scared me I think. So I've on and off tried watching the movie the past few months to get over that, but I would always stop like 10 mins in. Anyways, got over it tonight, ended up watching the whole movie. It was good! Everything I've heard it to be.

It was a good premise, still sorta creeped me out with his use of liquids, still had me a little giggly at the naivety displayed throughout the film and the spirit of innocence and what not.

Was absolutely in love with the animation. specifically the motion. I don't think I've ever seen motion caught as well than through this film (my first of his so maybe he does better)
Like the way the clothing was constantly reacting and the use of motion was so clean and fluid it really stuck with me, added a level of realism that went really well with the unrealistic motions characters displayed. and again with the fluids, the way they fall and spill and move really was perfectly captured to me. Gunk truly looked gunky, and water and such was just so nice

It really is as good as people say it is, and I plan to burn through all this old Ghibli stuff now that I've gotten over that fear.

did I goof

Cowboy

Postby Northwest » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:55 am

I've been a fan of Ghibli for a long while now. My first two films were Totoro and Kiki, and my mother still tells the story of when I finished watching Totoro for the first time I cried because I wanted him to be my friend. My whole family went to see Spirited away in the theater (the first movie I ever saw blood animated in, yikes). I then watched Castle in the Sky (repeatedly), and Nausicaa (interesting dystopian style flintstone, if you're interested). Everything after that I have seen of my own accord, but having a younger sister helps keep the magic of these movies alive for me in a way that just wouldn't happen without her.

Personal Rankings:
A= Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Wind Rises
B= Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Arriety
C=Whisper of the Heart, Tale of Princess Kaguya
D= From Up On Poppy Hill
[Anything not mentioned on this list I have yet to see]

Watching Ghibli films taught me much more than I ever expected about the pacing of movies, and I believe it was Roger Ebert who most famously about out how the animators consciously give the characters frames, sometimes entire scenes where they are just allowed to breathe and be humans. Coming from mainstream American cinema, encounters with this idea are few and far between, but I've learned to appreciate it all the more the more movies I see. Hope there's a few of you out there who feel the same.

Northwest

Postby rjbman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:19 pm

What would you say makes Howl a B-level?

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Next

Return to Care