[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Off topic

Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Postby bels » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 am

bels
Yung Winona

Re: Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Postby deadkitty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:28 am

The Alpha Couple song cycle (in chronological order):

disclaimer: this is probably wrong

Chino Love Song 1979
One Winter at Point Alpha Privative
Alphabetizing
Alpha Incipiens
Alpha in Tauris
Alpha Aquae
Going to Jamaica
Alpha Gelida
Star Dusting
Tallahasse
First Few Desperate Hours
Ethiopians
Southwood Plantation Road
Game Shows Touch Our Lives
The House That Dripped Blood
Fit Alpha Vi
Idylls of the King
Alpha Sunhat
New Chevrolet in Flames
No Children
See America Right
Peacocks
International Small Arms Trafficker Blues
Have to Explode
Old College Try
Oceanographer's Choice
Alpha Double Negative: Going to Catalina
Alpha Negative
Spilling Towards Alpha
Omega Blaster
Alpha Omega
Letter from Alpha Motel
Design Your Own Container Garden
Standard Bitter Love Song #8
Revenge
Alpha Desperation March
Orange Ball of Peace
Alpha Rats Nest

sorry it's not in order, spotify won't let me change the order

deadkitty

Postby bels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

On repeat lately. It's meant to be about Billy The Kid

bels
Yung Winona

Postby zayg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm

this band defines "cool band i enjoy listening to when people like my ex girlfriend would play them but im overwhelmed by the massive discography and will probably never dive in" for me

zayg

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm

These guys are amazing. When I heard No Children for the first time I played it non stop for weeks. I even ruined a date by making them really *listen* to the words.

But it's fine because it was my housemate's date and he should have known not to bring her home during Monday Drinking Club.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 pm

For fans of No Children, I'd recommend you watch this episode of Moral Orel, titled "Numb". Easily the best needle drop I've seen in television. The whole episode's worth a watch to really get the full impact, but the song only plays at the beginning and end. If you only want the relevant bits, read the context in the spoiler, then skip to 8:59:

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/71946732[/vimeo]

UnwashedMolasses

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm

John Darnielle's 100 Reasons Why "Ignition - Remix" Is So Damned Great (from 11 years ago)

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelected ... adid=18110

UnwashedMolasses

Postby bels » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

nice no children cover

bels
Yung Winona

Postby hmwut » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Sprinting Toward Epiphany: Talking With A Songwriter Turned Novelist

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/14/347995670 ... d-novelist

another interview re: his new book

http://electricliterature.com/interview ... white-van/

hmwut

Postby coolteen49 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Pre-Tallahassee mountain goats or post-Tallahassee mountain goats?

coolteen49

Postby deadkitty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 am

pre-tallahassee for me. at the risk of sounding pretentious , i think overproduction and a very clean "studio" sound doesn't suit john darnielle at all. although his work with john vanderslice has been fantastic

deadkitty

Postby bels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:10 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby chadnik » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:43 pm

new tour poster is :eek:

chadnik

Postby iralanwitnuk » Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Been getting into this group heavily these past few weeks. I really enjoy the timbre of Darnielle's voice-- the sort of amateur-ish, raw sound he achieves with wavering urgency in his delivery makes his projects much more authentic. His more recent stuff is a lot more well-produced and polished, but I like how he still largely holds on to the same sound. In the same vein, I've really liked The Sunset Tree, mostly because of the softer and subdued tracks.. Goths had some peeks to the same classic sound, but I enjoyed it otherwise. I listened to an interview where John said he sat on experiences for years, letting them "marinate", before writing them into song lyrics. And also about how John wrote poetry for a while before he started the Mountain Goats, which you can hear in his lyricism. Real shame that i couldn't go when they played in birmingham the other day :(

"Let's all buy Birkenstocks and go hug some trees"
iralanwitnuk

Postby bels » Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 am

Seeing them when they come to that that London later in the year. Goths is a great album. The latest book isn't quite as great as the previous book but is still decent.

Here's the livestream release:

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Tue May 30, 2017 12:30 pm

John Darnielle, the lead singer, also writes books! I've read both Wolf in White Van and Universal Harvester. Would recommend Wolf, but Universal didn't really do it for me.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby BIGBEE » Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Wow maybe I should revisit the mountain goats if he has improved the production quality. My friend showed me some mountain goats way back in highschool and the super lofi recording really turned me off. Will give the goths album a shot

BIGBEE

Postby popcorn » Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am

The way people talk about The Mountain Goats mirrors Guided By Voices really closely, and also Modest Mouse except that MM's lo-fi phase (see: This is a Long Drive) is actually very different in song-writing from what they'd do later (ascending into the year 2000 (or 04, I guess) and then promptly leaping off a bit of a cliff).

I've only heard like 2 songs from All Hail West Texas, but lo-fi production is a major turn-on for me. All the best Guided By Voices albums were recorded on a 4-track, so I guess AHWT is just a logical progression then.

popcorn

Postby coolteen49 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm

I saw them when they came through dallas last week and they were unbelievably good. They played for over two hours easily, and the encore was almost as long as the actual set. John even played a few tracks off Full Force Galesburg during the solo intermission!

coolteen49

Postby bels » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 am

https://archive.org/details/tmg2017-06- ... anter.flac first live recording i've heard playing new album stuff (and just a great live set in general, good banter)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby wrong » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

wrong

Postby bels » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sick boy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 pm

i get some old school country vibes from both

sick boy

Postby Dingdongfootball » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm

I've played guitar for eight or nine years but over the past one or two years I've been trying to teach myself to sing along with it. I think I've definitely made some progress with my voice. The thing is though, I literally only play and sing Mountain Goats songs. Honestly, that's all I've learned in the past two years. I must know like 30 or 40 now. They're actually really good if you're learning to play and sing since most of the chords and chord progressions are easy. Vocals can get pretty hard on some of them (John Darnielle actually has a pretty crazy range) but the majority are easy and fun for a beginner. Also, since a lot of them are already solo acoustic, they don't sound boring when you play them by yourself. Also, I just really like The Mountain Goats.

Also also it's fun to hear your own voice when it sounds good! Good to have something to put some energy and focus into as well of course. Here's me trying to sing a bonus track from one of my favorite Mountain Goats albums, Get Lonely. Of course, this isn't like a capital C Cover or whatever. I'm just trying train my voice and follow the melody. I know how much of the Mountain Goats love is about Darnielle's distinctive voice and all and of course my version will be missing that. Anyway I hope you like (smiling)))

Dingdongfootball

Postby rjbman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue May 08, 2018 2:57 pm

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am

evidently this was posted several years prior

my apologies to bela, and any other people who actually read the mountain goats thread

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 am

how're folks enjoying IN LEAGUE WITH DRAGONS? honestly such a wonderful album, best new one since I've started listening round Beat the Champ

saw them perform in boston with - as usual, lots of huge hits i never knew about that i got to experience (like Sax Rohmer #1)

top songs (to change w/ further listens):
* Possum By Night
* Going Invisible 2
* Sicilian Crest

rjbman

Next

Return to Care