Journal Of Care-Memes Vol IXXCXXC

Elite user's forum

Journal Of Care-Memes Vol IXXCXXC

Postby bels » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:28 am

Have A LOT of problems with the current volume PARTICULARLY claims by Bannernon Niley et al that they've got casual tie protoypes operating out in the field. Seems VERY improbable that they've leapfrogged the esteemed work of the Grambinlod team in Truro? I guess that's what happens when you have American big business funding your research though. As I recall the Niley team has several interested parties wheras Truro have to go cap in hand to BHS when they need anything as small as a new collar design fabricated.

Will be very interesting in the next couple of months to see if any groups manage to replicate their data.
bels
Yung Winona

Re: Journal Of Care-Memes Vol IXXCXXC

Postby bels » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:11 am

HUGE essay on "Obective Aesthetics" from miniB (who I think used to post here? Don't remember exactly). Seems heavily influenced by the Bantwerp school but I guess that's only to be expected. Gets kind of heavy going but I think the overall points (re: aesthetics, taste tackness and kitcsh) are all pretty valid and salient.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 am

Interesting ideas in "Peasant Lolita and Uncontrolled Memes" Though I think the overall idea about most memes being generated and sustained by institutions (in this case, the inner cabal) is valid I'm not sure if their data really backs it up? Even at its peak Peasant Lolita never made that much impact on the mainstream (I think that there was an article about it on Vice and a sidebar in G2?) so I don't think it's a very great case study.

Would be interested in any further developments as to "grassroots" memes structure as opposed to "top down" structure that seems to be dominant at present.
bels
Yung Winona

Re: Journal Of Care-Memes Vol IXIIVVI

Postby bels » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:29 am

Just got hold of the latest volume (my jstor login expired for some reason) which has an article a long time coming "AF1s or Docs, a retrospective study of early Care-Tags footwear"

I thought it was a bit cursory (seems to lump black derbies in with docs and at one point they conflate AF1s and common projects which I thought was quite a stretch) but it's a good start on some scholarship in this area.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:11 am

"Nice Boi - Reflex counteraction to the fall of the Jarvis Tene or divergent culture?" Has some interesting ideas, though I find their central conceit pretty pointless. Who cares if nice boy is a reaction to anything? Seems like a desperate attempt to ascribe meaning to a meaningless world/forum. But near the end of the second section there's a throwaway comment positing that Jarvis Tene will be a designation that follows the culture as it matures past teen hood, through college (dorm room tenes) and on into adulthood (Jarvis dads, perhaps). Maybe it's because of the name, but I always felt that a Jarvis tene could never be older than 19. A middle aged Jarvis tene is a potent and maybe useful image for us all to carry with us.
bels
Yung Winona

Return to Care-Tags AGM 2016