[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What are you reading today/book club

What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

What are you reading today/book club

Postby lanky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Just finished middlesex and a hologram for a king. Really enjoyed both of them. Now starting the game of thrones series and enjoying that so far.

For a non-fiction book I'm in the midst of Resistance: a radical social and political history of the lower east side. It's very interesting so far.

lanky

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby teck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Just finished Lolita. Superb style but took me forever to read. Also just finished Breakfast at Tiffanys. Very breezy but beautiful to read.

i got a bunch of books suggested by trashpile. i think after i bone up one some more "classic modern literature" im going to read something really sci-fi, maybe "pattern recognition" by Gibson because it's got an interesting take on marketing and advertising, my field.

teck

Postby Syeknom » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Just finished Robert Holland - Blue-Water Empire: the British in the Mediterranean since 1800 chronicling the diplomatic and militaristic wranglings of Britain in forming the closed off "British lake" of the Mediterranean (locked down by Gibraltar in the West and, later, the Suez in the East). It traces the colonial history of the various holdings in the region - Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus, Corfu, the Ionian Islands, Crete, Egypt and Palestine as well as the repeated attempts to put British-friendly monarchs in power in Greece. It also discusses in great detail how British geopolitical strategy alternated between a Mediterranean-centric view of or one that focused elsewhere and the effects of this on the world wars.

I'm now ploughing my way through Þórbergur Þórðarson - Steinarnir tala, tranlated into English as The Stones Speak. Þórbergur describes his childhood growing up on a rural farm in Hali, Iceland at the end of the 19th century. We visited the farm and the museum dedicated to him there, and it's really interesting to read about that area we stayed in such vivid detail. I wish more of his books were translated into English - he's a fascinating character who grew up in a simple farming community, was destitute in Reykjavík, found fame as a writer, married a woman and had a long-standing affair with the woman he loved, traveled the world, denounced organised religion, pushed for world-wide adoption of Esperanto, became a communist, studied the occult and renounced communism before dying of a stroke back in Reykjavík

Syeknom

Postby lanky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Teck - Been wanting to read Lolita for a while. I'm also needing to brush up on my classics but I get so caught up in modern literature that I never find time for them.

Syek - The Stone Speaks seems really interesting. I definitely want to learn more about him now.

lanky

Postby starfox64 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 pm

just finished Kafka on the Shore. Really enjoyed it.

A friend gave me this novella by a Korean author that I am going to read next, then probably Cloud Atlas.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby hmwut » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 am

been making my way through bukowski's novels. reading 'factotum' at my shitty stockroom job was masochism.

after bukowski, reading hunger by knut hamsun. glad to be reading again, haven't been actively reading in too long. got bored of browsing mfa/sufu/sf/etc, needed to pass time at work, and here i am. kindle for android is the fucking bomb.

hmwut

Postby adhi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:59 pm

recently enjoyed ender's game (HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS EARLIER) and making headway on speaker. although i've heard that i should read ender's shadow first.

adhi

Postby smiles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:07 pm

went on vacation and brought some books. read the new chuck palahniuk book (damned), was ok. I don't think i like him very much. I also brought 'even cowboys get the blues' by tom robbins, glamorama by bret easton ellis, and something by don delillo. Not much of a fan of either of them. tom robbins is too 'witty' for me and glamorama dragged so hard. american psycho without the violent murders. havent started the don delillo yet.

i read cats table by michael ondaajte recently, i found that quite good. he has a way with words.

i also battled infinte jest for 500 pages and was forced to give it up when someone requested it. definitely my favorite of the summer.

@teck, you should read pattern recognition, it's great.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby adhi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:15 am

i've been meaning to get around to infinite jest and basically everything wallace wrote really. sad story though.

adhi

Postby lanky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:35 am

Just started reading House of Leaves today. Really interesting so far.

lanky

Postby Syeknom » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Free on the kindle

Syeknom

Postby can- » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I never made it thru heart of darkness. I do love his novel 'the double'

I haven't read a novel in ages honestly

can-

Postby bels » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Conrad is one of my absolute favourites. I have an annotated edition of heart of darkness that I've been meaning to read but haven't.

Nostromo is my favourite of his that I've read though. I just love it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:08 pm

I've never read him before, will have to check it out. Free version on the kindle too, get in!

Syeknom

Postby RycePooding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Reading transatlantic by Colum Mcann. Very very well written- long listed for booker award too.

RycePooding

Postby can- » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm going to give gravitys rainbow a shot

can-

Postby germinal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Man i was like 70% of the way through and then the cricket started

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:24 pm

As if test cricket isn't the perfect opportunity to get some reading done

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm

I can't concentrate on post-modernism and TMS at the same time

germinal
Garminlad

Postby starfox64 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I tried reading that on the subway when I lived in New York. Got like 120 pages in, realized I had no idea what was happening, started over, same thing happened. In hindsight I don't even know why I even bothered.

Also at one point my girlfriend bought me a copy of the book, even though she knew I already had one. I was like, "what am I supposed to do with two copies of the same 700 page book?"

Women, amirite?

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby bels » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 pm

My girlfriend bought me a copy of Leviathan.

Anyway, just finished that murakami book about the gas attacks. Anyone got any reccs for a book that is fiction and either over 200 years old or translated or ideally over 200 years old and translated?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Not over 200 years old but you could read through Les Rougon-Macquart

Maybe . I've not read it so can't give a recommendation, but trawling through wikipedia for famous historical literature is rather fun.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:32 pm

u gotta rec me a translation too.

I could make a second start on the first three volumes of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Bought the first three thinking there was only three volumes then found out there was another three and gave up.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby odradek » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 pm

bela: philosophy in the bedroom. any translation will do.

also to all the people reading/not finishing gravity's rainbow: just take everything on faith, whether it makes sense or not (it mostly does. mostly).

odradek

Postby schiaparelli » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 pm

last book i finished was haruki murakami's what i talk about when i talk about running. exited the last page with a deep and peaceful appreciation for contemplative physical activity and writing steadily over the years.

currently reading universal principles of design, which i highly highly recommend for anyone interested in cognitive science/psychology/design/aesthetics/human perception. it's a bunch of different principles and heuristics and effects to do with communicating visuals/ideas/information. hard to describe but it's very, very good.

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:40 am

In the end I realised I have The Best Of Archy And Mehitabel on my nook so I'm reading that.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am

went to like three coffee shops yesterday to finish cloud atlas so as to have a new book to read on my four hour flight today, plus all the waiting at the airport or whatever.

read 12 pages.

starfox64

Postby ramseames » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am

That book should have been so great but fuck some of the story arcs were taxing to read. Feel like I didn't get as much out of it as I should have.

ramseames

Postby charybdis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 am

starfox, personally, of the Murakami novels I've read, I though Kafka on the Shore was his weakest. Except maybe behind 1Q87 which I only read up to book 3 and then couldn't be bothered to keep reading.

bela please explain to me the appeal of Heart of Darkness

Reading War and Peace for class.

I just got Making Wet: The Magazine of Gourment Bathing in the mail.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby can- » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 pm

what class are you reading W+P for?

is the class "War and Peace"?

seriously having a hard time imagining that shit in a survey class

can-

Next

Return to Care