[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby sknss » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 pm

so what does your dad wear?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby RycePooding » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

thats him right there, on the bricks.

RycePooding

Postby maj » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

my dad dresses the same way so you could say it's trending

maj

Postby teck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

just got back from my trip. it was great. really helped me refocus my attention and put things in perspective. some fashion thoughts:

Paris wasn't as fashionable as I remember, but it was still somewhat forward looking and very "European". Compare that to UK fashion which is much more along the lines of US.

Seeing the fits from both places made me realize I can prob still be 2edgy without having to dive too deep, as I have been lately. Mainly in europe i wore a lot of black and some other pieces. The pieces are fine but traveling makes me want to wear clothes that "wear hard" -- denim, leather jackets, thick wooly sweaters. It didn't help that France was cold and rainy and my clothing wasn't doing much protection.

I might try a no-cop (or limited cop) for awhile.

Then again I just got some hakamas so I'm broke anyways.

I just need to chill back on fashion.

Not fashion thoughts:
Stepping away from the internet was really nice. There's, like, a whole world out there, apparently.

teck

Postby sknss » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 pm

welcome back teck!
what do you mean when you say that paris looked european?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby teck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Sorry, "European" is a bad descriptor. The style was more "forward contemporary". Slim suiting, less earthy colors. Very "The Kooples."

UK had more "tradition". Brogue shoes. Barbour.

I felt UK and US was drawing from the same pool of flintstone, while France was pulling from a someplace else.

All my observations were from a very narrow sampling, of course

teck

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 am

Glad you had a nice trip, teck!

There's definitely a strong and ever-increasing American vein in modern british style, I think it's a bit of a shame but I like how it gets incorporated into more "traditional" british styles (e.g. in london lots of black and grey).

I just found out that the Dries Van Noten sample sale this year will be held whilst I'm away in Hong Kong - lame! It's going to be held at their warehouse in antwerp too.

Syeknom

Postby maj » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 am

paging pollen

maj

Postby bels » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 am

Syek being in Hong Kong stopping you from buying clothes is a notproblem

Syek + Teck you're right about UK fashion being like US fashion. UK culture in general is becoming sort of like US culture, which I'm OK with. It's funny though because US brands like Dockers and Levi are premium brands here.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 am

Notproblems are the best kind to whinge about

Syeknom

Postby teck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 am

Bela, Syek - I was struck by how similar the US/UK culture was. The TV programing, the packaged foods, the ubiquitous advertising, the clothes, the heavy drinking. I wondered actually how much we (the US) was learning from the UK and vice versa. I think that the US is learning about menswear from the UK, not the other way around.

teck

Postby Syeknom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am

If you only went to London be careful not to confuse the rest of the UK with it - London is its own beast with influences from every part of the world (dominated by Anglo-American consumerist culture).

What makes you think that the US learns from the UK more than the other way around? I don't know that I agree with that - plaids, ocdbs, work boots, sneakerheads, urban streetwear, etc are all the sort of thing bequeathed by american popular culture and the internet.

Syeknom

Postby teck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am

i guess because of the shoes and outwear. broguing is very UK, so is barbour. hunter boots. tweed. some of the suitting and ties.

yea streetwear is def US.

teck

Postby smiles » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 am

hung out with starfox this past weekend. we had a fun time having local food and trying on expensive leather jackets.

i also realized there's not much to do in HK.

I also realized i really like SLP.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby RycePooding » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 am

Why are my New Standards' pockets so small? What does this tell me about the APC lifestyle?

RycePooding

Postby bels » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Very small sandwiches

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby freddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:18 am

got out-bidded for a denim shirt, not sure if i want 2 pull trigger on a pair of trousers, a blazer, or a trucker jacket :/

freddy

Postby b4my » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 am

Imagine if supreme or hood by air or something found a picture of some hypebeast wearing something of theirs really badly and printed that image on a shirt and that became a really hyped item and a bunch of people wore it badly.

b4my

Postby freddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am

freddy

Postby germinal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:27 am

b4my:

germinal
Garminlad

Postby b4my » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:39 am

^ Oh yeah I completely forgot about that, that's such a cool thing.

I think it would be a little different if it was some internet fashion guy trying to posture in his living room though.

On a related note I don't know what it is that makes me have a pretty visceral negative reaction to hypebeast/kanyetothe/complex type culture even though i like a lot of streetwear companies and i've actually stuck up for hood by air a lot in the past and i listen to a ton of hip hop. Something about it just really bothers me though, the way those people talk on forums/act in real life.

Actually to extend that, whenever I see someone wearing something really overexposed on the internet my initial reaction is to just groan internally. I saw a guy in geos and dropcrotch shorts a few days ago and I just couldn't take him seriously which feels really unfair to the designer. To be fair though he was doing it pretty badly, he had some stupid Margiela parody snapback on as well.

But it's just weird that I have such an automatically negative reaction to "dressed by the internet" stuff. Who cares?

b4my

Postby germinal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am

went to the Margaret Howell sample sale... it was pretty manic
I was there to get a shirt if i could, but all the Ms had gone quickly. there were some modestly-priced suits that i would have bought had i needed a suit, and a cool insulated gore-tex parka for £165 that i was tempted by but apart from that nothing caught my eye. there was a lot of MHL.
the best part was that they were selling fabrics by the metre and old zips, buckles, fabric-covered buttons, etc along with homeware

then i went to the actual Maggie Howell shop - this is the second time i've been in since Syeknom and i peered through the windows - and tried on a shirt and boy did it fit well

on the way back i saw a guy with "ANTIDEVIL SECURITY" on the back of his shirt - why does this ring a bell?

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 am

So jealous, I knew the sample sale was coming up. Glad you went and had a peek. I got in a bidding war for a grey flannel margaret howell suit on ebay the other day but lost (a day before my current grey flannel suit tore). They're really nice.

Did they have any of the cashmere jumpers cheap?

MHL stuff is a bit lamer but I'd like to get ahold of that textured jumper in grey - they only have it in navy online.

Buttons, zips and buckles sound amazing! Would have loved to oggle that.

What did you think of the wigmore street shop inside? I really loved the space and all the furniture.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

all the knitwear was MHL from what i could tell, but this being a sample sale all the jersey, knitwear and accessories were heaped in geet piles and i wasn't fussed enough to go digging. the shop is lovely, i've probably spent a good hour in total there now... slightly intimidating in that both times i've been there have been half a dozen staff chatting away, but no customers apart from me whatsoever

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 am

Yeah I had the same thing there, but I liked that the browsing section was far from the staff area so they weren't hassling me.

Should have checked if you were going to the sample sale and thought about asking for a proxy on some knitwear or something.

Which shirt did you try on by the way?

Syeknom

Postby bels » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 am

Margaret Howell is cool stuff. I should visit the store. I've not been to any high end stores dans londres.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 am

i can go back tomorrow if you like, can't tell you what will still be available though. prices were between £25 and £165, except for some accessories, and suits, and a few bits of outerwear (shearling coat: £650).

this one http://www.margarethowell.co.uk/men-aw1 ... will-brick

@bela it feels way more relaxed than most high end places here, nice atmosphere

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:49 am

Bela, get germ to show you around! :o)

Germ, it's a huge inconvenience to ask but if you're offering I could indeed be interested. Any idea what the average discount on pieces was? I'll pm you in a bit.

That's a lush shirt

Syeknom

Postby can- » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 pm

TB in HK

can-

PreviousNext

Return to Tags