[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - homes, houses, and abodes n plants

homes, houses, and abodes n plants

Off topic

Re: homes, houses, and abodes

Postby starfox64 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 am

This is a product shot, but I'd fuck with a closet organization system like this so hard.

Herringbone floor too.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby starfox64 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:23 am

agreed. i'd also like closet doors.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby exprof » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 pm

GOAT home: Corbusier's Villa Savoye.

exprof

Postby sagc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:17 pm

My place in Kingston, which I moved into in April - I'll have better pictures once I'm back in the fall and hang up some prints that I've got. I've only actually lived there for about a week, but I like it a lot - it doesn't overpower the furniture nearly so much as my last place, which was as student-y as it got, and felt like it was going to blow over in the next strong wind as an added bonus.

sagc

Postby Syeknom » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 am

Looks very orderly and upscale for Jamaica

Syeknom

Postby sagc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Rep/Syeknom: Kingston, Ontario, which I probably ought to have specified.

sagc

Postby starfox64 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 am

anyone have any hudsons bay blankets? are they worth the money?

starfox64

Postby bels » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Going nuts looking at places. Everything cool too expensive etc. Was looking at properties that had already sold and found this tiny house that sold in April that looks so fing peng. If it came back on the market I'd buy it in a second.

Last edited by bels on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:06 am

Other estates on the noble-but-flawed 20th century London housing roll of honour:

Maiden Lane

Span Blackheath

Churchill Gardens (Powell and Moya I love you guys)

Golden Lane

Southwood Park

stappard_

Postby bels » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:13 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 am

I'm a huge apologist for brutalism but its fair to say they went too far with those things. judge dredd stuff

stappard_

Postby CMYK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am

On a more philosophical note, any thoughts on the Corbusier quote "A house is a machine for living in" ?

CMYK

Postby bels » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am

Reminds me of the Gibson quote:

"Cathedrals are like machines to finding the soul"

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

le Corbusier always seems so absolute and totalitarian. His city plans were inhumane.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby bels » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 am

On the topic, I'd love to read abut Urban Planning. Anyone got any recommendations? Why cities are what they are, how they come about, etc?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 am

A collection of scans from a Frank Lloyd Wright book for you guys

stappard_

Postby wiggly--woo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 pm

wiggly--woo

Postby CMYK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

A question. If cities are very purposefully "designed" or engineered, even if it is meant to produce "vibrant and alive" neighborhoods, isn't that still taking away some degree of agency from those who will be living there? Kind of a "this is pretty and you will like it" determinism.
I have a (undeniably idealistic) vision in which the "ugliness" of modernism and brutalism presents the populace with a unified front to "rebel" against and make their own. That's why I find myself drawn to chipped concrete, shitty graffiti tags, and ledges waxed from skateboarders. Humanity finds a way. Has any thought/work/study been done on this type of thinking (perhaps not to the extreme degree mentioned above)? To me all the beautifully designed towns just seem creepy, insular, and cultish.

(full disclosure, all of my knowledge on this subject was learned from wikipedia pages, so pardon me if this is a dumb question)

CMYK

Postby hooplah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 pm

--i second 's recommendation of jane jacobs - the death and life of great american cities. great read, very ineresting

also, a country of cities by vishaan chakrabarti is interesting so far. haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty america-centric so i dunno if you're interested in that.

hooplah

Postby wiggly--woo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 pm

wiggly--woo

Postby exprof » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Idk if anyone's posted Habitat 67, it's really cool.

more interior after spoiler

exprof

Postby ramseames » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

there's this building downtown i've been by a few times and always thought was neat/someone's really pimp house. Googled it today cuz i remembered to take note of the address. Turns out its actually a 6 unit strata condo building, and was built in 1981. crazy ahead of its time, would have guessed it was less than 5 years old.

shitty pics taken from some real estate site:

ramseames

Postby ramseames » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 pm

ramseames

Postby bels » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 am

I know houses are more desirable and "better" but I can't shake the feeling that flat are just cooler and cool people live in flats and only dorks have houses.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 am

What about houseboats?

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:58 am

It seems like some cool people should live in houseboats. However I met a poet once who lived in a houseboat but they weren't that good. As a result my opinion on houseboats is causing a significant amount of cognitive dissonance right now.

Depreciating asset though innit?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:29 am

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby smiles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:29 pm

When I was like 12 we took at houseboat down the canal du midi for about five weeks or so. It was great fun. Everyday we would stop in a tiny random town and get delicious cheese and bread. Very relaxing to fall asleep on water too.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby ramseames » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:49 pm

man furniture shopping is so shitty.

it should not take 10 min to find an SA that's willing to talk to me. when i say i want to order something, they should know how long it'll take for it to come in, not a rough estimate about when the warehouse might have it/when they might ship it. and that estimate should not change by a week (in their e-inventory system) literally within the span of our 10 min conversation.

in other news i finally fucking found a desk that's not ugly looking/made of woodchips and imitation metal/outside my price range. hope it shows up before the end of the month

ramseames

PreviousNext

Return to Care