[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Clothes

Re: Small wallet, big ideas - the DIY thread

Postby needlethatsings » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 pm

junya-esque flannel patch shirt. Basically my first ever sewing project.

Also patching up some old jeans, still a wip

needlethatsings

Postby INNIT » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 am

INNIT

Postby BIGBEE » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm

going to try to sew some webbing onto my jacket like this acronym one

don't have a sewing machine right now so it'll be awhile, now I just have to find some pouches that aren't ugly as sin. if you have any ideas tell me, worse comes to worse I'll buy a few acronym ones.

BIGBEE

Postby Blastoise » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Does anyone have experience with fabric tape instead of sewing? My sewing machine is broken and I'd prefer to finish what I'm doing myself than take it in somewhere (but that's also an option at this point). The fabric is a heavier linen/rayon blend, not sheer at all.

Blastoise

Postby blanket » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 am

Late Night Tea Adventures
last night i dyed my socks with tea

left is english breakfast, right is green tea.

This is pretty close to their actual colours

Story: after dinner I drank too much tea and I was hyper and jittery and I thought it would be a really really really cool idea to boil my socks in tea
Moral: I should stop drinking tea after 4pm

Summary
Brew 3-4 teabags per litre of water for 10-20 mins
Take tea out
Soak items in tea until desired colour is reached (15mins to over 12 hours)
Squeeze tea from items and soak in cold water for 30 mins
Squeeze water from items and hang up to dry

Rambling about socks and tea (please excuse the rubbish pictures; most of this happened around 9-12 pm)

Thoughts and Conclusions

blanket

Postby Bartender » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Anyone know good places to get nice fabric for sewing basic shirts/trousers? Been on other board's DIY threads, and seems to be a common trouble

Bartender

Postby sknss » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Have you been to your city's fabric district?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Bartender » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Going to school in Boston, I should probably check it out but from what I can glean online it seems Boston's fabric district is pretty small and just doesn't compare to NYC

Bartender

Postby bobo77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Update on
Little bro in the Trucker.
Levi's/Wu-Tang/Levi's/Adidas

bobo77

Postby yubbermax » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:51 pm

I bought this bomber for $25 not realizing how bad it could be. It was bad. I forgot to return it and I'm stuck with it. I decided to put a mesh graphic on the back and I cut a piece of screen door mesh and used it as a stencil. Unfortunatly it wasn't pressed down against the jacket enough so it came out pretty shitty. The paint has begun to wear off quickly and it looks kind of cool so I'm going with it.

yubbermax

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:27 am

What don't you like about the bomber? Looks pretty solid from here

mc-lunar

Postby parastexis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

severely fucked up an old denim shacket i had

parastexis

Postby JewTurk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Finally patched these fuckers after not wearing them for quite a while. Fashion teacher at school was kind enough to let me practice with the school's machines with their extra fabric laying around. Ended up practicing with a bunch of denim smocks my art teacher let me borrow until I felt good about doing the final product.

e:

Picture makes the patches look almost identical in color, sulfur dye is pretty crazy.

JewTurk

Postby meatjacket » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 am

love the idea of messy paintings and i've been trying to mix that up with what i wear and whatever

its 2am and i should be asleep but i painted my olive ma-1

with a pocket knife and some tempera paint.

Then I put it on (still wet paint) and danced to the strokes for like 10 min lol

looks cool i think. I hope the paint cracks and chips off eventually

also i realized i bought this uniqlo dry package tshirt in black and havent worn it at all so i destroyed the hem (i think)

will post more in the near future

Last edited by rjbman on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: resized images
meatjacket

Postby meatjacket » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Done a couple things since my last post (one thing i can't show til after christmas)

Embroidered my uniqlo ocbd elbow so when i cross my arms or lean on my hand, it shows

Painted the back of my denim jacket

Patched up some jeans (still working on making it more neat, even for patchwork jeans)

meatjacket

Postby Jeezas » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:17 am

Cut the collar on an old chambray shirt to make a mandarin collar. Not a crazy project but it's easy and it can change the look of a shirt.

Before.

After.

There are a few raw/loose threads but the seams are still here so it won't fray.

SMILEY FACE
Jeezas

Postby meatjacket » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:15 pm

embroided a jacket for my girlfriend

shes a gemini

meatjacket

Postby FeministFatal » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:36 am

So I've been really into photoshopping recently (actually gimping bc poor lyfe) and I made a few things for my friends. My friend Bridget's birthday was this week so I made this for her and printed it on 2ftx2ft glossy poster paper at my school library. It cost 7 dollars and would be cheaper if smaller. It occurred to me that maybe I could set up a little online store where people would choose a style of poster and send me a picture and I would make it (send as JPEG for cheap, poster print for more) and sell it.

Original pic

I did a bit of research and there are a few options for customizable pop art portraits but they are either super basic and cost around $40 or are actually well done and cost around $120. This seems like a significant mark up and I think I could undercut that. Maybe go for $20-30 a piece.

Also, I have not been able to find anywhere that lets you make other types of custom posters. I've experimented with a few other styles (they don't look as good because it was the first try) and can think of a few more. Also I think I might buy the real Photoshop soon and that should increase my professionalism by a ton.

Psychedelic Poster

Flapper Style

I would love some feedback! Do you think it has potential?

FeministFatal

Postby sick boy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:52 pm

The idea with this is for the jacket to work in autumn, winter, and spring. The wool is a slightly loose weave, making the jacket alone breathable in warmer seasons. The liner keeps it warm enough to wear with a t shirt around -15.

sick boy

Postby soundclip989 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Soundclip piss stain jacket mod. (Not actually pee)

Still feel like there's a lot more to be done with this, probably more layers of dye applied with a brush. I'm imagining something like a watercolor, but we'll see how it goes on to this cotton fabric. Could turn out badly.

soundclip989

Postby igsu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 am

Does anyone have tips for cutting fabric to sew from scratch? I have a cutting board and one of those rotary cutter things, but I'm still unable to cut through even two layers of thin fabric and them come out even and clean-cut.

WTB: Opening Ceremoney Astrology IRL Aquarius shirt any size
igsu

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:27 pm

handknit sweater (full fit in spoiler)
my mom made this one. It's made of rope dyed yarn so it'll fade kind of like denim.
my mother started knitting so young she can't remember not being able to knit!

BIGBEE

Postby slappa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm

I made this wall clock that I had been wanting to make for quite some time. Found a supplier of the watch movement and dials last month and had a few samples sent for this prototype.

#interiordesign

slappa

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Unhemmed the jeans im wearing today

and updated fit

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby igsu » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Here's my friend wearing an outfit I put together for a fashion show. All items were DIY except the shoes and her rings. I still have close to no idea what I'm doing but I think it turned out alright anyways. I look forward to wearing this fleece sweater thing.
ImageImage

WTB: Opening Ceremoney Astrology IRL Aquarius shirt any size
igsu

Postby kylebisc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 pm

I never really wore my black jeans because I felt they were just too plain, but the other night I decided to give them a little DIY with a pocketknife and so here we are, my first time trying something like this! I'm planning in the near future to start attaching scraps and patches all over because I would love to have a pair of crust pants.

kylebisc

Postby pk! » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Had some thrifted engineer boots that I was having a really hard time styling as-is, so I cut off the majority of the boot. Then I got bored with that and gave them some attention with a set of brushes and some gesso. Here's the result:

Thinking about coming back thru once it's all dry and adding a suede panel on the inside to give it some texture.

Pk! "Pok Gai," Cantonese phrase/insult for, "Go fall in the street."
I fell into the streets and missed the ground.
pk!

Postby eli7 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:33 am

I got some really beautiful indigo wool and knit it up just in time for spring. Pictures don't really do the wool justice

eli7

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:16 am

thinking about DIYing a paint job like this lang trucker, but on a flannel

not sure if a flannel would be the best choice though, i feel like like the way cotton flannel bunches/drapes would take away from the straight lines. flannel's my gut instinct tho

what paint would work best for this?

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby Baddarn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am

- -
Baddarn

PreviousNext

Return to Tags