[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - homes, houses, and abodes n plants

homes, houses, and abodes n plants

Off topic

homes, houses, and abodes n plants

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:34 am

I am planning on moving back to the US at some point within the next six months, and while I don't know where I will be living or what I will be doing, I have been spending a lot of time thinking about what I want my house to be like (also in part because I am bored at work a lot). Anyway, I'm curious about what people like in terms of decor and such. Either post pics of your place or ones you liked on the internet.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Re: homes, houses, and abodes

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 am

A few articles that I found interesting on the matter:

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby adhi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

really great thread idea. i know there are some people on sufu who have really really cool living spaces and i definitely want to draw on that. it's just that the superliving thread is really old and really long, so i don't know how to find the gems. is there a best of or something?

adhi

Postby starfox64 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 am

That thread has been going on for so long that a lot of the early links are dead. You could probably start on page 18-20 and read that (20 pages still, but it's not terrible), and get a good grasp on things.

There is a thread on SF right now where this guy is trying to furnish his house and it's interesting how much trouble he is having. The sort of meticulous planning that goes with dressing yourself (in terms of classic stuff like suits) doesn't really lend itself to home decor, and I think watching a guy who always seems to know exactly what he wants in terms of clothes have so much trouble figuring this stuff out.

starfox64

Postby starfox64 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 am

actually as i read through the thread i realize i hate everyone posting in it. the first 10 or so pages are okay though

starfox64

Postby bels » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Been really hating my abode lately. It's a tiny studio (I'm OK with that) but it's got such lame furnishings + furniture that I can't get rid of that it sort of bums me out. Plus it being inside someone's house doesn't feel v baller. Hear everyone moving around all the time.

On the other hand it's 20 min walk from work and pretty cheap. Saw a cool place go up on gumtree(craigslist) but it'd prolly be another 150 or so more a month and a 15 min cycle from work instead. It's tempting but feels lik I'd be better saving that 150 to go towards getting my own place in a couple years.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:21 am

currently i'm in collegemode interior design:
my childhood bedroom hasn't recovered from dubious 10-year-old paint choices;
all my cool stuff is packed away for the summer at university.

but w/r/t ideal interior design i've begun arranging the things i love along a gradient from more minimal/monochrome to maximalist/chromatically extravagant.

super-minimalist industrial "the subtle poetry of concrete", as represented by this swiss home by gramazio & kohler architects:

coolly minimalist but with 50s-era conformity, as evidenced by the midcentury-style chairs and textured throw:

super b&w and clean but not at all stark, owing to the stacks of design books and the introduction of—ah, finally—a print! (above) albeit your typical swiss-design-ethos print, (below) i think this is what kids these days call "pattern-mixing:

let's introduce expanses of smooth wood and bookshelves, and also a mattress on the floor because i either like very low or very high beds, but very low beds allow you to feel that your vertical airspace isn't hindered—keeps your line of sight clear:

more colour! more prints on the walls!, and things on the floor again. i think i like the simplicity/unfussiness/humility about having your mattress directly on the ground and your books directly on the ground, and it's also an aesthetic style that necessitates owning quite little to avoid the appearance of clutter:

then it's time to introduce legit hue and wood and ethereal, delicate lighting, which if care/tags sticks around for 3+ years you'll definitely find me scouring home lighting retailers for:

schiaparelli

Postby germinal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:50 am

i think tumblr has ruined Eames chairs for me. And also sitting in them.

my sister has just bought her first house and is in the process of doing it up, i'm so jealous

germinal
Garminlad

Postby starfox64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 am

decorating a house is about a million times more nerve wracking to me than anything involving clothes just because of the permanence involved.

right now i have literally nothing on my walls and a bunch of furniture i got off of craigslist.

starfox64

Postby Syeknom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 am

People around me are starting to buy houses and it makes me way uncomfortable

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 am

Went to see this place:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/s ... to-content

So tiny. About a 15 minute cycle to work instead of 7. Nearer to town and about #200 more per month with bills.

Gonna pass. Could technically afford it but it'd mean spending about 25% of my salary on rent and probably selling my computer (because there'd be no space for a desk) Weird feeling when you can't afford student housing.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am

25% of salary towards rent isn't so bad but that looks properly tiny - how big is it? Seems like a lot of extra money for not much gain.

When I moved in to my place it was about ~30% of my salary but now I split the cost it's half that. 120 square meters over 2 floors though.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am

It's as tiny as it looks. Probably smaller than my current place, and my current place is a room. It does have a deck though. That deck looks amazing (until winter comes). In some way the tiny ness appeals to me as I could downsize and own less stuff.

An extra #200 a month is an extra 2400 a year though that could be going towards a house. Though doing the maths, if I wanted to save a 15% deposit for a 150k house it'd take me 10 years at 2400 a year so maybe it doesn't matter. Probably does though.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:41 am

£2400 extra a year is nothing to sniff at especially if put into some kind of saving vehicle like an ISA. Or shove it all in Premium Bonds and hope for the best.

I'd kill for a deck or balcony at my place.

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am

i have a roof but i go up there like twice a month. definitely not worth an extra 200 a month for tbh, especially if you are downgrading the size of your place.

i am kind of in favor of having a cheap shitty place because it forces me to do stuff outside my house, plus i think i'd derive more enjoyment out of an extra 200 a month in food/beer/clothes/coffee/sports/anything. that's excusing entirely the value of saving the money.

starfox64

Postby bels » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 am

I'll be honest a non trivial portion of my wanting to move is having a cooler place if I ever wanted to take a girl back there. Current place is out of town in a lame area, wheras that place is closer to town in a cool area. Probably not actually something I should be considering moving for though giving at my current hit rate I could just rent a five star for that contingency and have it still work out cheaper.

Just realised it has neither bike storage nor off street parking though so forget it. Maybe I'll just sell some skateboards and clean up my current place (or something.)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am

I won £25 on the premium bonds the other day :]

I've realised i don't want to live where i live and with whom i live next year; how late notice can i leave telling my flatmates and landlord that before i'm a tosser who's dropped them in it?

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Are you going to leave before your contract's up? There's rarely a good time to drop that one

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 am

My contract ends in one month so i'd leave then but obviously they'd be a person down and i'm not sure how easily they'd find a replacement. It would be a very British thing to spend another whole year in a contract just to avoid causing a fuss, like that Douglas Adams short story where someone eats his biscuits. i suppose i could unleash my inner sociopath and say screw them...

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 am

Haha, I love that biscuit story. Or like in Peep Show where Mark

When I was a student we often had the person leaving find his/her own replacement which worked pretty well. Other times it just puts everyone in the lurch indeed, and many panicked advertisements to find somebody.

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am

yo man you gotta look out for number one. leave those fools behind.

in the words of the prophet ronnel, "I may lack compassion towards others, but that's only because I'm a shark, I make and take."

i had a conversation with some people at dinner today about how selfish people seem happier/more successful or whatever, and i don't know if they are actually happier because they get what they want more often or if it's just because they aren't weighed down by worrying about other people.

but in the usa 30 days notice is pretty standard and i wouldn't feel too torn up about not giving more than that.

starfox64

Postby bels » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:42 am

If you're worried about how much notice to give then give notice now.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:16 pm

it's not selfish to be in touch w your desires and actively pursue them. it's selfish (I think narcissistic is a better word) if you have no room for other peoples goals, feelings, pain etc. and narcissists usually aren't very happy because they can't get properly intimate in their relationships

room and house thread is deep

germinal drop out of school and move to NYC, I need a roommate

can-

Postby germinal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 pm

if only...

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:35 pm

to assuage my annoyance at not moving to a cooler place I just spent 40 minutes cleaning my shower whilst talking to my mother (hands free)

It's still a bit disgusting but miles better.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby lanky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 am

I always theoretically want to be in one of those cool artist studio spaces like this: Image, but I always feel grossed out or just unnerved once I'm in them.

lanky

Postby Syeknom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 am

I think the toilets make or break those spaces.

Syeknom

Postby adhi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:27 pm

schia, do you live in an apt or a dorm? i wanna see your space

adhi

Postby can- » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 pm

is this thread about abodes only, what about adobes?

can-

Postby germinal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:43 am

Thom Browne's flat

germinal
Garminlad

Next

Return to Care