[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Feelings

Feelings

Off topic

Re: feeltalk thread

Postby starfox64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm

every so often i think that i should have gone/should go to law school.

i am currently experiencing such a moment.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby schiaparelli » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 am

i am amenable to sparkly banners. grandiose visions of raf simons sauntering through a field of accordion-pleated flowers come to mind. i actually googled around for how2theme vBulletin forums, and it seems a little kludgy.

starfox64, why do you every-so-often think that law school would've been a good choice?

i've been ambitiously promising myself that i'll finish reading x book in a day, and then choosing 300–600+ page books.

schiaparelli

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 am

a bunch of people i know are taking the bar right now, which is why i am thinking about it. my friend was telling me about all these people we know that he saw there, and all i could think of is "man, i'm smarter than that person." then again i think that i'm smarter than most people so this phenomenon is not solely limited to law school.

but i dunno, my life has no real direction right now, i don't have any long-term goals in terms of jobs or career aspirations, i think i'd be a decent lawyer and parts of it would be interesting. i also like being a student and i think there are a lot of positive things that can come out of being a lawyer, both for me and like the opportunity to do something meaningful with my life. but it's a big commitment and a lot of money (though this is not a huge stumbling block), and i don't know if it's worth all the time and energy and stress and money to find out that hey, being a lawyer sucks. i also don't have any clear idea of what kind of attorney i would want to be.

my ex-girlfriend just graduated from nyu law school and she was EIC of the law review (which is just an unfathomably competitive position) and she was pretty unequivocal in saying i shouldn't go.

so yeah, i dunno.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 am

also when i was in college i tried to read about two books a week during the summer (mostly 3-400 page books) and that was reasonable. trying to read a book a day seems pretty daunting.

starfox64

Postby schiaparelli » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

how old are you? somehow the introductions thread has been incredibly unhelpful in actual introductions.

kinda sounds like your "maybe i should've done law" thoughts are stemming more from extrinsic impressions/motivation than intrinsic ones. you could probably say "i think i'd be a decent x" for most professions if you believe yourself reasonably intelligent. what are you gonna commit yourself to instead? what have you been committing yourself to instead?

i think i've been inured to blazing through 2 YA fiction novels in my middle school/high school peak. but i should probably realize those are way shorter and way easier to read!

schiaparelli

Postby starfox64 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 am

starfox64

Postby bels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:38 am

"VISSUVIMMU" - Cameron Riley, www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice, 2013

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 pm

this video WAYWT thing is the worst

can-

Postby schiaparelli » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Video waywt needs to be either taken uber seriously or not seriously at all and right now most people are missing the mark.

I recorded one but it's too serious.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 pm

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby starfox64 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 am

i really enjoyed the skrillix one

starfox64

Postby adhi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 am

by the by, though

what was the inspiratino for the name of this board?

adhi

Postby bels » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:18 am

I think ben and germ are obsessed with care tags. There's meant to be a thread about them.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm

one of them is clearly slacking in this thread-creation game then!

today i sat down and made a list of all the minor todos (not big things like GRADUATE UNIVERSITY and WRITE THE GREAT AMERICAN NONFICTION TREATISE ON DESIGN and PUT TOGETHER MY PORTFOLIO, just small chores and emails to send out and bits of paperwork). i've actually been making really good progress striking them out (the list is in markdown and wrapping finished tasks in the little ~~'s is surprisingly satisfying), and some of them are things i've been putting off for days/weeks/months. so that's quite good.

going to pull the trigger on a few other life decisions™ and then it will be a day well spent.

schiaparelli

Postby germinal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:06 pm

i legit took some pictures and wrote the opening copy but (a) i couldn't think of a witty title and (b) all my pictures turned out to be blurry wrecks and i'm lazy

germinal
Garminlad

Postby sknss » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:10 pm

don't think just post the thread

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby adhi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 pm

oh care tags is a thing? what is a care tag... lol.

do u mean the little thing that says 'dry clean only' or 'machine cold wash' and has a bunch of symbols

adhi

Postby lanky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I kind of want to start putting together photography zines.

does anybody know the best way to do this cheaply w/ relatively high image quality?

lanky

Postby schiaparelli » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:09 am

schiaparelli

Postby can- » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 am

why dont you just start a blog or whatever? whats the point of a zine in 2013?

my friend does http://lanzine.com/ , its pretty cool and i definitely enjoy reading it but it always kind've feels like a copout compared to other medias or professional avenues

can-

Postby starfox64 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:30 am

i am in japan. just walked past like 25 cool stores on the way to my hotel. that's like double the number in the entirety of seoul. moments like this make me question whether i should have moved to japan instead of korea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

starfox64

Postby bels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:49 am

I don't think I'd have much respect for someone who said "I moved here because of the cool shops."

bels
Yung Winona

Postby lanky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:34 am

lanky

Postby starfox64 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 am

starfox64

Postby bels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 am

I spend a lot of time imagining what my life would be like if I moved to korea instead of cambridge. Fortunately now that I know you I know exactly what it'd be like.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby teck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:21 pm

teck

Postby schiaparelli » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:48 pm

i think there's just something viscerally nice about having something in your hands and letting the viewing of photography be a 3D meatspace kind of experience. and it starts to feel more special and rare because who is distributing paper these days? when a photo is printed it feels like a higher mark of esteem and devotion than if it's reblogged. it's kind of weird to think of artistic things as these flat objects you see online and don't really interact with in a very meaningful way.

on a related note, my university has a letterpress lab and there's a class where you learn to do things like bind a book by hand (really beautiful books with fancy interior paper and a little ribbon to mark your place), lay out the little metal bits of type into a block and print a sheet of poetry…some of the english majors take the class and then will print a senior-thesis kind of thing. i would really like to do this sometime, even though part of me thinks "this is a dying art this is useless my professional life will be spent making things for a screen".

teck, you'll never be good at visual shit unless you start doing it!

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:23 pm

I sometimes consider hand binding my books but in the end would only want to do it as some deluxe special edition type thing and they barely sell anyway so doing that might kill me.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:52 pm

luddite vs futurist concept = me, pretty much

germinal
Garminlad

PreviousNext

Return to Care