[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Clothes

Re: Small wallet, big ideas - the DIY thread

Postby bels » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

how'd you actually attach it? Does it feel weird to wear ?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:50 pm

I sewed it to jacket at 2 points, right below the loop/label and at the center at the bottom. It doesn't feel weird at all actually. I can wear the jacket comfortably with the sling on but loosened, so if I want to wear it on my back I just undo the zip, pull my arms out of the sleeves, and tighten it. If I don't feel like bothering with it at all I can tighten it up but not put the sling on and it doesn't hang down far enough to be visible. Plus the whole thing is still packable.

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 am

Not really a DIY garment making post (although I do make some of my own clothes) but I got these 50's overalls a while back. I love holes an wear, but the holes in the knees of these things caught on EVERYTHING and just kept getting worse. As they're made of light dungaree denim the closest thing we had in colour and weight was some boro cloth my gf picked up in Japan. She did the sewing because she's just better at it. I think they turned out brill!

Before:
After

They're enormous. I think they're a 44 waist. These days I usually wear them wrapped around my waist with a belt around them.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby slappa » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Made this simple double wrap bracelet in black Italian leather with a brass button stud.

slappa

Postby slappa » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:44 am

Maybe these are more PYCs, but here's a passport/smartphone carrier I made last week

slappa

Postby sknss » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Bobbin, did you sew a patch inside the leg too? this is probably a dumb question but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:49 pm

The two new looking bits were the only ones we did, they were really heavily repaired when I got them with various bits of denim. Still lots of life left in them!

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby RycePooding » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Really would like to patchwork flannel onto a white ocbd. A.) Is this a terrible idea. B.) know of any good guides on different methods of sewing fabric...together?

RycePooding

Postby starfox64 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 pm

that kinda sounds like what visvim and cdg do with some of their oxfords.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby deadkitty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 pm

fishbones did that and it turned out ok

deadkitty

Postby ramseames » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 am

ue did it and it looks pretty good.

ramseames

Postby ramseames » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 am

Finally got a chance to take photos of the fishtail. think its pretty self explanatory how I did it, none of it was very complicated. I used duct tape to try out a few different locations for the lower attachment point, and I melted all the ends of the webbing with a lighter so that they won't fray. Pics are terrible, sorry bout that:

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm

RycePooding, if you're going to sew fabrics together you should try and make sure they're a similar weight. Obviously this isn't big deal if you can't but it looks and hangs better.

If you're sewing on a patch you should iron it on with webbing before sewing it. It'll make it neater all round. What you're suggesting is probably going to end up looking a bit DIY even if you do it professionally, so I wouldn't worry too much about your skill level.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby maj » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:53 pm

i bought a patch from ebay and sewed it on my old cos shirt

maj

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 pm

ramseames does this make you want to make/alter anything else? You did a really clean job.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeah, it does actually. I went to H&M a few days ago and bought a short sleeve tee, a long sleeve one, and some pants. Gonna disconstruct them and use the pieces to make patterns from. Have a few ideas for some more interesting stuff once I get basic things down.

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Sounds good! Although you can buy patterns pretty cheaply which might be an easier place to start. I don't know if you're familiar with design processes, but designers usually make up a piece in calico to see if the fit is right before using anything expensive/too nice.

I'd be really interested to see what you come up with. Home made stuff is the best.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I just figured it would be easier to get the fit right by starting with something that works for me rather than trying to adapt a pattern to size correctly. We'll see. I'm gonna start off with cheap Jersey from fabricland or wherever before I order anything nice.

ramseames

Postby sknss » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:07 pm

i patched my jeans

sknss

Postby germinal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:42 pm

if one were wanting to buy a sewing machine where would one begin?

if one were wanting to make some trousers with said sewing machine where would one begin?

cheers

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Syeknom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Good on you germ, I keep thinking about buying a sewing machine but then getting scared and not. Glad you're thinking about moving forward with your idea.

Syeknom

Postby sknss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

i think the smartest way to do it is to go to your local oldschool arts and craft shop and ask one of the assistants there. they often offer sewing classes too.

i went to the supermarket and i bought one of the three models there . it's fairly easy to use. i would recommend it but i don't know much

sknss

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Charity shops seem to always have them, but if it's your first time you're going to end up taking it for a service or asking someone to show you the ropes. A modern cheapish one should do the trick - if it has a few modes you'll be able to overlock stuff properly too.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby slappa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Just finished my first rucksack prototype, which will hopefully serve me for many years to come.

Pure aniline leather with visible stretch marks

slappa

Postby YoungCanoeist » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

slappa, everyone loves my iPhone case. More importantly, I love it. There's a beautiful color coming in, fantastic job man!! (Also, pretty sure a couple of my friends have bought something from your site, but idk)

YoungCanoeist

Postby slappa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:41 am

I'm very happy to hear, ecc! I'd love to see a progress pic of the sleeve if you have the time?

slappa

Postby Syeknom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 am

slappa your stuff keeps getting better and better - do you feel your skills improving with each piece/new design? Really fun to watch you progress

Syeknom

Postby slappa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 am

slappa

Postby YoungCanoeist » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:44 am

These are all iPhone pics so they're not that great, but... (couldn't get the sizing right either)

brand new: (May)

5 months wear:

I bought the Fall 2013 Field Notes pack and the orange cover from one of them has rubbed off onto the case!

The difference between new and now is insane -- beautiful!

YoungCanoeist

Postby midvh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:40 pm

slappa: how 2 get into leatherwork

where do you buy your leather supplies?

midvh

PreviousNext

Return to Tags