[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Techdad Discussion

Techdad Discussion

Clothes

Re: Explain cyberpunk to pirx so he can sell it to old peopl

Postby BobbyZamora » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby oucho » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 am

oucho

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:55 am

you're actually 100% right on this, i really like the evolution of donna haraway's thinking from original cyborg manifesto to her current stuff on the chthulucene. slogan: 'we are not post-human. we are compost'
http://environmentalhumanities.org/arch/vol6/6.7.pdf

pirxthepilot

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:44 am

no definitive proof yet but apparently those acronym AF1 high samples that floated around on instagram last year are officially releasing this month

edit: confirmed by the god himself on IG

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby bels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:57 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby BIGBEE » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:06 pm

sounds perfect for a brand that's all about making the most impractical clothing they can.

BIGBEE

Postby Bonobonobo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Also the Escape Zip's implication that you're going to abandon your ACR jacket to get away from some life-threatening peril is laughable at best.

Bonobonobo

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:21 pm

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.

Also consider checking out my music.

Follow me.
ASTROCHIMP

Postby thephfactor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Found this in the sales rack of my local used book shop. I extremely cop'd it, will put snippets in this thread if it's any good :~3

thephfactor

Postby odradek » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 pm

odradek

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:28 pm

acronym's greatest accomplishment is making messenger bags look even remotely cool or cyberpunk, and i'm saying that as an acronym fan

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby adiabatic » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:08 am

…not keeping baggy cargo shorts alive in the world of high fashion?

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby maj » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:26 pm

maj

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:13 pm

really really like those big-ass sarouel pants that acr put out this season, if only because they're a lot more aesthetically inaccessible than any of acr's other offerings and they feel to me to be a reaction against all the milspec-fetishist acr nerds that just want to wear basic streetwear with a bunch of techsys and cobra buckles slapped on it. it's probably inevitable that errolson eventually gets sick of making easy shit like that and will make more daring stuff. hopefully.

on another note, they just dropped another and a full minute and a half is erlsn's girlfriend dancing lol must be nice

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby Eddie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 pm

I agree about the departure from the militaristic look being pretty refreshing. The aesthetic reinterpretation of Samurai armor with the J1TS was so insightful to me, seems like they're in the midst of shifting their focus. Seeing lots of iterative changes and focus on refining performance of existing systems. Stitches to separate the hem expansion and chest pocket zip, different seam construction on the J47R, etc.

Eddie

Postby bels » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:56 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:25 pm

of the pants? ofc
the fit actually looks really cool from what i've seen, huge oversized waist and overall cut but it looks like the leg openings are actually somehow fairly small so they interact with hightops well. probably crazy comfy too and obviously cut well for movement

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby rjbman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:42 pm

rjbman

Postby odradek » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

odradek

Postby cb200 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 pm

cb200

Postby odradek » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:29 pm

odradek

Postby Northwest » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 am

Well, you knew it had to happen sooner or later. "Machine learning" for outfit comparison within "market trends" that just might so happen to be the market trends that will be pushed by Amazon's algorithms rather than independent publications or stores. All they are doing is hiding and conglomerating human influence rather than engaging with the diversity of opinions that can be found among your social group. This is a response that's everywhere as more and more people who once paid lip service to the value of opinions are overwhelmed by the number of opinions available in the information age.

And, as a side note, would equal representation not be in their interests as a company? I understand that women are currently the larger market share, but as long as you are going to be cynical about it why not be so cynical that you normalize men being interested in fashion also. Get their initial foray into fashion dollars, which are often spent with the least knowledge and most regret. Plus, I don't think that not representing the absurd social pressure placed on female appearance in one advertisement is suddenly going to mean women can now sneak away from the ever present double standard placed on their wardrobe in both work and social settings.

Shoot for the moon you omnivorous corporate shit show of a foray into fashion. Suck the meat from the bones.

Northwest

Postby rjbman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, let's add cameras that can watch us to our house along with the always-listening speakers! It's a very thin line between helpful and Big Brother. Make sure to support your open-source projects, bet this could be done with an Arduino hooked up to . Could even use reps across care-tags (or other sites) as a judgement on outfit quality. (s/out to this is mostly his idea)

See you later, space cowboy.

rjbman

Postby CMYK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 am

Can confirm, am fully interested in making some sort of homebaked, non-creepy tech overlord owned "fitpix ben". The Amazon thing honestly looks pretty cool, but yea fuckin right I'm gonna let Amazon into my house like that.

My haxor skillz are not very leet but hopefully I'll have some good time to put against this soon. Should be possible as a standalone hardware project with an arduino, but some of the more complex speech synthesis might benefit from running on a Raspberry Pi (tech peeps, correct me if I'm wrong). Would also be cool to combine with the stereotypical raspberry pi project. I guess if it had a camera too you could run facial recognition and have the mirror greet you by name...

Uh ANYWAY... I might put some time against this soon, and will ovi keep this thread updated on the process. Not fully distributed yet... yadda yadda yadda Gibson.

show them ur cool new jacket!

CMYK

Postby rjbman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm

you can get arduinos with processors but yeah, raspis have def cornered the microprocessor market

rjbman

Postby adiabatic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I strongly suspect one of the reasons why they're pitching this mostly to women at first is because they put a lot more work into having their recommendation engine figure out what makes women look good. This seems to mirror what happens with real people — the last time I poked my head into a female-fashion-advice forum one of the first things I noticed was that they have an extensive technical vocabulary for body types and body-part shapes that I just don't see men use. That is, our discussions of fits aren't as systematized as theirs are.

How many more person-hours do you think go into "what makes women look good" compared to "what makes men look good"? I'd expect the difference is 1-2 orders of magnitude (10x–100x).

I'd expect the sex ratio in the mass-market ads to equalize somewhat in a couple years once Amazon gets more confidence in its ability to recommend things for men to wear. I'd also expect them to pitch this to men who visit fashion forums or who browse clothes on Amazon, regardless of the sex ratio of the mass-market TV ads.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby bels » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby adiabatic » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:02 am

I don't think there's anything new here. Amazon sells clothes (among other things). Any decent sales assistant will try to learn what she can about someone who comes into a storefront looking to buy clothes in order to steer him to things he'll like enough to buy. Amazon's merely trying to offer that sort of service to its customers, backed by machine-learning algorithms. In order to do that, they're selling a selfie video camera linked to an app on your phone that you can use to see what you look like from all angles, while moving, and then send videos of you in your clothes to your friends.

Also, I'm not seeing much of a change in centralization compared to what we have now, especially when I'm thinking about pan-Anglophonic fashion forums. Any machine-learning algorithm worth its salt will base decisions off local trends — if only to avoid selling heavy jackets to me and to avoid selling linen shirts to Alaskans.

adiabatic

Postby sknss » Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm

tactical bike handlebar bag

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

PreviousNext

Return to Tags