[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Postby Julio » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 am

Julio

Postby bels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:07 am

I'm of the belief that there are like probably a couple dozen clothing collections that could be claimed to have any power outside of the 'look dope' framework, which I'm deeply of the belief is basically dictated by economic factors (dope='wealthy') with about 1% left over for childhood trauma based 'taste in aesthetics'

bels
Yung Winona

Postby popcorn » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:27 am

popcorn

Postby titkitten » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:20 pm

titkitten

Postby INNIT » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 pm

INNIT

Postby titkitten » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:01 pm

titkitten

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:49 pm

i swear GQ editors spend their entire lives incubated in a sterile white room any time they're not writing articles or making videos

they finally got around to making a video about work pants and this guy who's paid to be an authority on style readily admits he spent more money tapering his 874s than he spent on the 874s themselves. i really shouldn't expect more from GQ but this is a new low

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby vice » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 pm

i thought kanye's suit with the slides looked cool

vice

Postby INNIT » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:58 am

INNIT

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm

maybe its confirmation bias but my story stuff is the only stuff i own that looks better the more curry i spill on it

(also please forgive me for spilling curry. i love curry and will atone for my sin)

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:04 pm

i like when a fashion retail site says what size the model's wearing but not the model's height or weight. it's so clueless it's kinda charming

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby bels » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 am

I like it when fashion sites have a section for "leg wear"

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 am

We're in a golden age my friends, a golden age of yoox brand names

waiting for D5M and LNCCC

Do you enjoy this game?

What 90% of this forum is

What 90% of the people on this forum who think they aren't in the above 90% are

Something for the paleo crossfitter in your life

Something for the countdown watching crossword solver

Yes, fellow earthlings I like to wear clothes.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby qalandar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am

Speaking of DSM I just came to see if there was any JJ, collection is tiny. They also shrank the PH collection and unfortunately I was £2,600 short so couldn't buy the long mac coat ...

qalandar

Postby rjbman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 am

can always share the pic(s) in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=838

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:46 pm

respect to pusha t for always tagging the brands in his IG pics. if he was 15 years younger he'd be a forum poster for sure

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby weqe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 am

honestly just buy used to justify my own consumption to myself, as much as I know how little impact it has on reducing waste and being more ethical. if we follow the chain back far enough there really is no way to avoid exploiting someone (workers farmers sweatshops etc.) so i might as well be part of the less-harmful first world consumers.

the subcultural stuff that comes with thrifting is nice, but ultimately pretty masturbatory and not a great reason to continue accumulating more stuff that i don't have time to wear

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby vice » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm

really don't like bowties at all

vice

Postby bels » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

I bet wikihow is full of huge untapped reservoirs of inspo

bels
Yung Winona

Postby fun_yunchables » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:21 pm

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby kickingthefly » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:25 am

random teen reps me online in obvious bid to get me to buy his overpriced grailed clothing

kickingthefly

Postby kickingthefly » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:11 pm

@rjb yeah i thought her comments in that thread about textures were astute, i can see why she's drawn to lee bul who (i think) tries to conceptualise historical development/ 'the future' in very material terms . i presume Alita BattleAngel and GITS are games? do you know them?

kickingthefly

Postby rjbman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm

ya as innit said, gits = ghost in the shell. a live action remake of the 1995 anime came out last year and was poorly received

and it is a constant source of inspo for me.

rjbman

Postby INNIT » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 am

also donna haraway is an actual character in the gits anime film, or something

INNIT

Postby kickingthefly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 am

looking very quickly at that thread i'm a bit underwhelmed tbh. certainly the art stuff. 'get a load of cutting edge artists to collaborate' yeah ok and then your mood board is lee bul (fine) olafur and jenny holzer (???) plus some really naff looking orangey futurist scenes. similarly light striking a prism, i suppose this harks back to 70s bio optimism type things, whats that film where he has spaceship garden and the two droids.
ok you want to be true to the original (like all fanbois) but seems a bit management consultant-y, big picture phrases with shaky research/ ppt slides backing it up
i suppose im saying that if curator at my gallery came up with that id be like hmm she didnt spend long on it

Last edited by kickingthefly on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickingthefly

Postby Julio » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am

feels relevant to share rn

Julio

Postby rjbman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:28 pm

so my issue w/ gits 2017 was that it seemed like they picked out the scenes that folks loved from the original (falling from the roof, the garbage man fight scene, the spider tank final battle) and strung them together with hamfisted bastardization of the prominent themes of the original, mixed in with the tv show (stand alone complex) 2nd season villain / lover.

essentially, it missed the forest for the trees, and replanted all the trees in a new place w/out any of the bushes, flowers, walking paths, clearings, or birds.

also there was the whole backlash about scarjo being cast as an asian woman (criticism that i agree with but not a dealbreaker for watching it) that they tried to explain away in-universe with scenes clearly filmed separately and shoved in (way worse than just being obtuse about lack of representation)

I think the point that stuck most with me was all about looking forwards from today and extrapolating a future that isn't all dystopia. I don't think that gits 2017 moved this forward at all, just copied the existing future from the 1995 anime. However I'm also sure that if they had materially changed it, there would have been a huge backlash too, so idk. But maybe this idea can be given new life in a spinoff or something.

sorry for rambling a bit

edit: also, do you have a link to that screenshotted thread?
edit2: https://twitter.com/monikabielskyte/sta ... 1113240577

rjbman

Postby kickingthefly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 pm

i think there's probably a lot i don't get here, having not seen either GITS or even really knowing much about science fiction. one thing i didn't understand is the post-dystopian vision you refer to above, her saying ' i want the future to be hopeful' - i'd be interested to know what informs this. for example lee bul's vision of imaginary/material futures are sort of recursive (this is my reading of course, don't presume to speak for her); she loves the idea of trying to construct new societies etc but seems to think they are always doomed to fail- this is connected to much of her life being spent under successive governments that started out with optimism but became dictatorships.
i suppose i'm just skeptical on the basis that one hears 'technology is rilly cool and will deliver the intersectional future' constantly as the mantra of every on-message corporate marketing machine, i just hope monica's optimism is based on more than this?

i'm not sure how to link the thread, it was on errolson's twitter 2 days ago so you could check back? (some teen txted me almost as soon as he posted it lol)

(BTW ANYONE IN BERLIN?? Lee Bul's exhibition opening/party this friday 28th- drinks + FRZNTE DJ set, come along
https://www.facebook.com/events/273696099901332/)

kickingthefly

Postby norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 pm

seeing the OG gits with no previous understanding of that universe or it's history, i felt insulted by how the new one left no stone unturned and rushed the whole legacy in a sub 2 hrs movie (was it sub 2?) ghost, just like akira, is a deep mindfuck from start to finish where you really have to sink yourself into that world to understand what's going on. not to rehash well-discussed subjects, but i think that the BR2049 was more successful at adapting to the world that we live in today. the bits about san diego being an endless trash heap and all of the inner empire being covered in grub farms felt far more believable than the relatively polished bond-esque evil villain settings that GITS3.0 presented. i mean the tits in the new one werent even as good as i expected!

tl;dr lil uzi vert should have been in the new GITS

everything i post is a joke
norman

Postby rjbman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:00 pm

rjbman

PreviousNext

Return to Tags