[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: random fashion thoughts

Postby maj » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:39 pm

i remember when was telling me when we met that he got fed up with people because they told him heeled boots and chelseas were shit and unfashionable

how things have changed

maj

Postby can- » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:45 pm

the look du jour for late 20 somethings in NYC is skinny jeans, wyatts, and a destroyed or sheer scoop t shirt that is basically a size too large. accessorize with metal jewelry and a goofy hat and rockstar hair.

it's just a super moneyed up version of the hipster / Brooklyn look that's been super trendy in the last 5 or so years. which is definitely not the flintstone for SLP.

can-

Postby YoungCanoeist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Ayy! First time posting on C-T in a long time.

Don't know much about SLP but I did really enjoy the psych rock collection. I've just always really really loved chelsea boots. They're so slick.

From what I've seen I agree with everyone else saying that the SLP style on dudes off the runway isn't often done well. But I'd probably end up like those guys if I were into the style lol. Lately I don't have the will or money to really develop and execute a look. I just wear what looks and feels good to me. Though sometimes I wish I had more ability to get cool stuff.

YoungCanoeist

Postby bels » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:04 pm

Have you made any cool clothes lately.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Suquida » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Y'all care too much about what other people are wearing/what people think of what you're wearing

I didn't know pages full of smug ~discussion~ of how people who wear xyz are lame and dumb and totally behind the times paired with a bunch of annoying masked self aggrandization were requirements for a fashion forum but if that's the case then sorry for interrupting, carry on with what you were doing

Suquida

Postby gustavobradley » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:38 am

I think that JB picture is one of the best/worst examples of the "typical" SLP customer look. Kind of shows that a lot of what makes the look work is having the body type and kind of jizz present in the runways. But then you look at like Harry Styles (who is kind of chubby by Hedi standards) and he pulls it off well (partly because he mixes in different pieces and doesn't try to go too runway most of the time), so it's all kind of muddy. End of the day I still think 15.5s and Wyatts are sick

https://instagram.com/deadlvng // haelegen.tumblr.com
gustavobradley

Postby Julio » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:43 am

lately it's felt like fashion forums are more dedicated to the development of a "style" versus the perpetuation of a trend. interesting thing is that everyone who's trying to formulate a sense of style or find a more personal style (whatever you want to call it) has to contend with knowing what might be hot/trendy right now so that they can either work through it, around it, or avoid it entirely.

i guess what i mean to say is something mentions in an earlier post on here about being "different types of fashion people". chances are (or at least it seems to be to me) that most of us occupy the same space as maj in terms of what clothing is to us, or what we're trying to let it be to us; whilst buffalo check/chelsea boots guy *probably* doesn't give a shit about "discourse" on clothing or thinking about a garment's role in your wardrobe from a long-term perspective BUT we need his existence to give us more of an idea on being "reactionary" or "subversive"--a norm dictates how we operate, which is an interestingly marxist (environment's totality via sociocultural/socioeconomic perspectives dictates man's consciousness) view.
that last bit is mostly me and my classes as of late leaking into the random thought, though. [pls excuse the pretentiousness]

Julio

Postby Lorcan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:41 am

I dislike how often people wearing the SLP uniform wear top button done up, Biebs up there being one example.

I mean, buttoned up can be a solid look esp in a skinhead / mod-ish kind of way. And I can see it working in some SLP fits (with SLP suit for example) but to me it usually looks silly with a silky print shirt or buffalo plaid and ripped jeans where unbuttoned and generally sleazier styling are probably going to help. Just cus it features on the runway doesn't mean you should be copying it.

Lorcan

Postby can- » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:56 am

I think Biebs looks great. "What Do You Mean"

can-

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Need somewhere to put this. I don't know if it's the jacket or the mountain stream but this image really touches me. I love nature and I'd love to go for a walk wherever he is (also, wearing the same clothes).

I'm not exaggerating when I say that seeing this pic hit something in me. I've lived in a major city for quite a while now and had a conversation with some friends yesterday, one of whom will soon move back to Tennessee (where he grew up and where his family lives). Between that and seeing this photo, it makes me worry that I might stay in this city out of inertia and miss out on some of the places that might make me happy.

The me of a few years ago wanted to live abroad again at some point, for a year or more, and also wanted to spend some time living in a quieter place. At the time I imagined living in a place like Vermont for its thrillingly sublime natural beauty (and skiing). At the same time I'm terrified of living somewhere rural, from both a social and career perspective. Not to mention the general loss of liberalness/anonymity/opportunity that comes with a city. I worry somewhere more rural won't be a cultural fit between me and the populace. I also hate driving so idk if I could bike everywhere in a rural place.

Maybe I just need a vacation.?

Either way I'm realizing that time isn't waiting around and that these things will only happen if I make them. Although I'm busily pleased making other things 'happen in my life', the choice of where to live is so daunting to think about. I'm sure there's somebody out in the world living exactly where I'd like to go, who wants to trade places with me. Maybe we can just stay on our respective leases and swap for a little while. I think I remember reading about some website where you can arrange house swaps with people.

But yeah if anyone sees that jacket please let me know. The brown colorway is up online and although I think I prefer this yellow a bit, I might end up getting the brown to assuage the part of me that actually wants to be out on a mountain hiking in it. Maybe I'll even buy it and vow to wear it on my walks when I move to VT. That sounds like the kind of poetic bullshit i generally enjoy

Thank you for reading this random fashion thought, brought to you by the Committee for Clothes Revealing Stuff about your Emotional Needs

yoyobeat

Postby fun_yunchables » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 pm

you could consider cities that make excellent use of green space/situated ideally with respect to nature. i'll probably be crucified for citing monocle but in a liveability context this sort of ease of access to nature is generally considered. I know Vancouver, for one, is particularly excellent in this regard in being able to have big city culture with accessibility to nature like one might find in a smaller town (but damn Vancouver, your rent is c r a z y)

There's more interesting aspects to this sort of mind set too. The chief designer of South2West8 (nepenthes brand family) is a huuuuge fishing nut, his fishing pole is supposedly super expensive. and part (probably most once you look at the clothes) of his creative flintstone is from this aspect, and its no surprise from there that the office is located in Sapporo, a small city very in touch with nature while still offering some larger city amenities and culture

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby Julio » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 am

^brands like andwander/s2w8 (and personally to me early nike ACG output) are interesting in that they're informed by a very strong and definite purpose but that purpose-driven/use-value type aesthetic adds an appeal of its own. ideally i imagine majority of the customers would purchase the products due to overlap with their lifestyles, but it's cute how the reverse can occur. you see andwander/vintage ACG and you want to go hiking. s2w8 sounds like it'd be dope to fish in. etc.

consider sassafras, yet another brand i really want to get into. i don't spend much time in our garden other than to take it easy and enjoy the quiet, but when i'm looking at the multipocketed madness & beauty that is sassafras output i think to myself "damn i really wanna take care of all these plants, yo"

Julio

Postby errantposture » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:46 am

I understand why people make fun of wearing beanies with short sleeve t-shirts, but at the same time like why is there a hierarchy of parts of my body that are allowed to be warm? Why must I be wearing pants to wear a jacket, and wearing a jacket to wear a beanie? I dream of a world where it is socially acceptable to wear a beanie with shorts

everything is getting better but everything could be a lot better
errantposture

Postby ramseames » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:33 pm

You can wear a jacket with shorts

From a functional perspective keeping your core warm > keeping limbs warm

Tee and shorts with a toque is the opposite, if your core is fine your head doesn't need it

Also just been worn a lot by not cool ppl

ramseames

Postby tomsfood » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 pm

"not cool ppl"

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby ramseames » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:38 pm

Ignore the Jarvis writing

ramseames

Postby JonjoShelvey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:56 pm

i can't ignore the Jarvis writing ram, i cant

JonjoShelvey

Postby trasparenti » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:31 pm

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby earthonator » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm

wtf uniqlo

earthonator

Postby trasparenti » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 pm

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/42052949[/vimeo]
I can't think of any other place to post this video but I love it

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 pm

so my university's town is devoid of fashion except for one store that stocks herschel and naked and famous

and when i say "they stock naked & famous" i mean they have such a good relationship with the brand that you can walk in, ask for any fabric/fit combination from naked & famous' entire archive, and they will order it for you on the spot. they'll even do combos that've never been made before

so i guess if any of you have n&f wants you can't find anywhere (3m? holo? pomegranate? okinawa spirit? i don't really know what cool stuff they've done if any) pm me and i can get it made for you

also, why couldn't they have chosen to develop this relationship with ANY OTHER BRAND

mc-lunar

Postby momjeans » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:40 pm

this interview about the acronym lf1s makes me want to go get some goodwill sneakers, put zippers on them, and scribble all over them.

momjeans

Postby alby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:14 pm

50$ you bet your ass im getting one.

e: should also mention it is where he graduated from before going to grad school to become an architect. cool stuff. he is giving a talk and I hope I can make it to that as well.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:58 pm

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby shar pei » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:35 pm

the two most recent posts in this thread made me think about my dad

he went to uw madison for grad school and has an issey miyake bao bao backpack that he barely uses

i think i know where i got my steez from + i should cop him that shirt so he can be proud bout his alma mater even more so than how he is proud about it now

he almost stole my cdg denim jacket when i visited home 3 months ago

CHEERS
P
shar pei

Postby Julio » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:18 pm

who else owns much in the way of junya cdg trousers?
both pairs i own have very subtle inseam flare/tension which does more for the silhouette than i realize, sometimes >_>

Julio

Postby tomsfood » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:28 pm

my roommate has now tried to sell me two pairs of junya pants, both of which i passed on because of that flare. Goes away if you cuff it seems. I agree with it doing a lot for the silhouette though.

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby Julio » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:19 pm

another word for it might be "puckering". yknow how a lot of .jp brands have puckering pants? (kolor, white mountaineering, etc) which means the seams are tensioned somehow?
it shows (albeit subtly) in this photo:
you might notice the inseams of my trousers come inward some. it looks horribly awkward if it's cuffed any lower but it works out if i just leave the pants unrolled. it's something i like about junya but i wonder if it really happens with all his trousers (and so far it seems to).

Julio

Postby sknss » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Are your trousers cropped? The same thing happens with my very short levis 501s. Embrace the awkwardness imo

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Francks » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Also depends on how you fold your pants. external seem on one leg matching the other one, or matching around where a front pleat would be.

When f pair od pants is long enough then no issues, if it's cropped you can have this side effect

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

PreviousNext

Return to Tags