[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Photography thread

Photography thread

Off topic

Re: Photography thread

Postby zayg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:29 pm

most recent first

zayg

Postby aporea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 pm

a couple buns from the last roll(s) of 2014:

aporea

Postby zayg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm

I went on an adventure today.

zayg

Postby MickePB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Didn't know that this thread existed untilll a little while ago when told me about it. So here's a few of my favourite photos that I've taken I guess.

MickePB

Postby kindofyoung » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 pm

kindofyoung

Postby JewTurk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 pm

So I found my mom's old Minolta x-700 camera. She's got all the toys to go along with it too, its fucking awesome.

Here's the exact lense that she has on it currently:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-MC-MACR ... 0499467837

Can someone tell me the pros-cons of it? She says she has the default 50 mm with it, not quite well-read enough on this stuff yet to know the pros/cons of the two. (as in, good for portraits, landscapes, etc etc, I'd assume its good for macro shots because of what it says on the lense but who knows.

e:

Sorry for the shit pic in a photography thread. Anything super cool? The flash has a bunch of settings, she has some filters, some lenses, then the two big lenses (135 and 50 mm). Anything I can find online for these two models is $120+ for the camera and $100+ for the lense, kind of super happy that I found the darn thing on a whim.

JewTurk

Postby alby » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 am

Yo Jewturk that's sick. I picked up a Pentax K1000 this year and I really enjoy using it, film is fun.

The 28-100 zoom lens is pretty cool. On the long side, it's a good portrait lens, and on the short side, it should be pretty good for wide shots. I don't know enough about that lens, but I assume it'll be good for macro as well. With all that being said, it's a good general purpose lens, but I don't think you'll have as fun with that lens than you will with the fifty. The fifty lens has a low f number (2) which will give you a cool bokeh effect when stopped all the way down to f2. I'd look up some exposure triangle tutorials on reddit or something.

It looks like the x-700 has metering, which means you should be able to gauge what settings to change (shutter speed and aperture along with film iso) to get your image to be exposed well. I am still a photog noob so I'm sure other people could chime in with more, but ultimately, buy some film and just shoot your little heart out.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby kindofyoung » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 am

Did this a while ago too, for a thesis-ish kind of project in school.

Construction

Some of the results
(40 min exposure time at about 10 pm)

(3 sec exposure time, ~midday)

(1 sec exposure time, ~midday)

All in all, it was a pretty fun project though the pictures could have been better

kindofyoung

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Recentish stuff

Also have like 5 rolls of film to develop.

Favorite methods of digitizing film? Scanners are expensive so i usually just take a pic of the print with my camera and use that but i feel like thats not a great way to do it

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby yubbermax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm

yubbermax

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm

I know but its $$$ and usually they just give you some lower quality jpegs. Plus like if im developing my stuff it rather digitize my own stuff ya feel

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:47 am

I wanna buy my first camera, can't decide between Canon and Nikon but right now I'm leaning towards Nikon, thinking about getting a Nikon D3200 or D3300. Advice? Are there big differences between the two in terms of lens prices etc.?

RomanEmpire

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:59 am

This was too long for a rep comment so,

They arent hugely different in prices really. The brands are pretty much on the same level in terms of performance though supposedly nikon has the edge in sensors and canon has better lenses. A lot of people say get what the people you know have so you can share lenses etc. Honestly go and check them out in person and see what feels better. The new entry level canon is coming out soon (the t6i and slightly more upscale t6s) and they look pretty nice. Personally i use canon fwiw.

e: Also one of the best bargains is the original Canon 5D. You can find it for a few hundred USD and its a full frame sensor, though you have to make sure it doesnt have a very high shutter count (less than 70-100k id say). Of coure the tech wont be as good but it has pretty great image quality and controls. If thats a little too much then the entry level cameras are still great choices too

Last edited by TheLouisVuittonPawn on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby alby » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 am

In general, Nikon sensors are more advanced than Canon, but Canon has (GENERALLY) cheaper lenses. (Cannon 50 is ~100, Nikon 50 is 200) but you shouldn't buy into a system based on prices of lenses. If you get a chance to hold either of the systems camera, go with the system that feels nicer in your hands. I liked Nikon more, so I went for a D5100. I don't regret it, though I do wish I could get some Canon glass sometimes.

In terms of the Nikon APS-C senor cameras (D3x00, D5x00, D7x00, Dx0), the D7000 + D71000 are the nicest cameras of the bunch. I wish I would have spent the extra for a D7000 at the time. They come with an extra dial and more control with a better sensor. That being said, no camera in the entry level price range is bad. It comes down to preference. If I could go back, I would have bought a D90. The D90 is the predecessor to the D7000, and comes with the extra dial. It's also important to note that the D7000, D7100, and D90 have an autofocus motor in body, which the D5x00 and D3x00 do not. This means that old nikon lenses (Anything labeled AF-D) will only focus on the bodies with the internal autofocusing motor. I cannot mount a 28 mm 2.8D lens on my D5100 and expect it to autofocus. For most people that aren't too serious about photography, this isn't a problem.

I wish you luck in deciding, it's stressful. Try to fully explore your options before buying.

Edit: If you are at all interested in videography at all, Nikon falls kind of short in that department.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:14 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I use Canon T5i/T3is at school for yearbook so I've only ever tried those out. My friend has a Nikon D3200 so I'll ask if I can try it out a bit to help make my decision.

The D7000 was on my list, but I found a D3200 for $300 on craigslist, kinda thinking I should just get a D7000 if I decide on Nikon.

Also, any good places to check for used cameras other than eBay/craigslist?

RomanEmpire

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:04 am

Got my film back from the developer today. Shot on ilford xp2

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby asianfuntime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:55 am

not really a photographer, I just take pictures with an iphone

this one is one of my favorites, sort of reminds me of the undercoverism ss10 cover

asianfuntime

Postby eyealt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am

I got to shoot Bodega a few weeks back. Pretty fantastic of them to let me do that and they're some really great guys who set everything up/talked with me. actually wrote a great piece about the store which you guys should take a look at too.

Here's a few pictures.
& the link to the article: http://issuu.com/northeasternfashion/do ... cker/9?e=1

eyealt

Postby zayg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:43 am

Typical recent shot dump. The two night time fog ones are edits from last night of photos I found that I took in 2012. I think I'm going to start shooting people a lot more going forward.

zayg

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 pm

From my first roll of self developed and printed film

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

3 & 4 i was going for less contrasty but yea i think 2 can be improved a lot there and maybe 5. Gonna go back to work on the second especially maybe friday when i print some more stuff

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby nevergreen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 pm

yeah 2 definitely stood out the most. 3 i think would benefit from more contrast but i see where you're going with 4, although i would be curious of the outcome if you did up the contrast. i understand 5 is intentionally dark but so many details lost that could potentially improve the shot.

once you play with 2 it'll definitely the strongest the composition is great. nothing like developing your own film and loving the outcome huh (smiling)

nevergreen

Postby longjumps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 am

just went for a scroll through this thread. made me want to revive my interests in photography and share a couple old pictures I'd taken

longjumps

Postby CMYK » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm

CMYK

Postby huhuslum » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:07 pm

@CMYK Look at some compact cameras. There are some pretty insane ones out at the moment, they are better than the bulkiness of a DSLR, better quality than any phone, not as expensive as developing film all the time. I would recommend Canon GX7, pretty great camera in my opinion.

huhuslum

Postby nevergreen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:55 pm

nevergreen

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Also buying used dslrs is a good way to save money, old pro level cameras like the original 5D can be found for less than 500

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby ramdomthought » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm

5d, 5dmk2 are both great especially when picked up on craigslist and co

my preference is to spend $ on glass and pick up things like the 800d or so on craigslist as people seem to dump them after about a year for pennies (t4i on craigslists have been spotted around $200 a few times in the last few weeks)

ramdomthought

Postby zayg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Decided to make a tumblr for my photography.

http://emptyfrequencies.tumblr.com/

zayg

Postby zayg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 pm

Went to Cape Cod. Took photos. Froze my ass off.

zayg

PreviousNext

Return to Care